Wish List for the new Supra / Must Have Futures and Options!

Would you like to see TRD parts for the Supra?

• Yes

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Don't care either way

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Hope you're right.

When the BRZ came out literally everybody was saying you know there's going to be an STI version or I'll buy it when the STI comes out but it never happened.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Loyo911

Loyo911

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
X5
Hope you're right.

When the BRZ came out literally everybody was saying you know there's going to be an STI version or I'll buy it when the STI comes out but it never happened.
And that's an absolute crying shame that neither the FR-S nor the BRZ has received a more potent version. To give it such a great chassis and driving dynamics but then don't even give people who want it the option of a higher powered version is just shooting yourself in the foot. And I bet it's the bean counters at work. The engineers must be disappointed.

JJR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CT200
Hope you're right.

And at this point it doesn't look like it will. It's like the entire project was just one big experiment. Luckily the Supra nameplate is strong enough already that they (hopefully) wouldnt abandon it within a few years.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
Hope you're right.

thats the thing, everybody (media and fanboys) were making crap up / hoping for xyz.

all i know is that Tada san has said a 2nd gen is in the works and it will be different from the current model. makes sense IMO with the sub 86 car also in the works.

Turbo GFX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV GTI
There's a sub 86 in the works? i haven't been keeping up. What they need to do or should have done is move the FRS off the Scion brand, upmarket it and give it a Toyota badge. The sub 86 can be a Scion.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
There hasn't been much news on the sub 86 sports car. Supposedly the concept "idea" was showed in 2011 with Toyota TES Concept T-Sports concept. I doubt a production version will look anything like the car below. I believe all we really know is that it will be RWD, take 5 years to develop, and be released after the new Supra/FT-1.

_MG_0381.jpg

NeroZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FR-S Release Series 1
Interesting. Sounds like what Nissan considered with the IDx concept. Let's hope it actually sees the light of day. So many manufacturers don't seem to have the stones to create entry level RWD sports cars anymore sadly...

celerity

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F-150 daily, weekend car shopping
I think that thing (T-Sports) was rumored to be Japan market only even if it was made?

celerity

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F-150 daily, weekend car shopping
Sometimes mfrs offer the higher end one first before the base, if it's a highly anticipated vehicle. That way they can cash in on the enthusiast who are gung-ho to be the first! Once they deplete the cash rich gung-ho guys, then they go after cash poor guys...
Yup, Mercedes AMG GT S before the standard GT is a recent example.

JT

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Vehicle Showcase
Motorauthority gives their personal take on the 10 things they believe the 2018/2019 Toyota Supra has to be. What do you agree or disagree with?

With a new trademark application in Europe, the on-again, off-again, long-awaited Toyota Supra revival is back on the rumor treadmill.

Once again, the rumors of its rebirth focus on a platform co-developed with BMW and shared with an upcoming Z4 successor.

One problem: It's been a long time since the Supra was new in Toyota showrooms, and while the time may be right for its return, the state of the art in sports cars has changed a lot since the last Supra arrived in the mid-1990s.

But what does a new Supra need to be? Let's start with these 10 things.

A hybrid. It's likely to be 2018 by the time a new Supra sees the road. By then, we'll all be used to the McLaren P1s and Acura NSXs on the road, and electrification will mean plenty of pure electrics, maybe even one from Porsche. The Supra has to be a hybrid, at minimum—if only for the instant torque off the line from a small state-of-the-art battery pack.

Twin-turbocharged. A twin-turbo setup is a must, and it's likely something that will be lifted from BMW's parts bin.

An inline-6. Again, a no-brainer. No, it won't be a 2JZ, but it needs to have six cylinders, and they need to be in a line. That's not just Supra history, it's reality. BMW has one sitting on a shelf right now, with turbos.

Rear-wheel drive with front-wheel electric motors. You've seen the new Acura NSX, right? Think that, just not mid-engine. A gas engine sends power to the rears, maybe with some hybrid assist, while electric motors kick in up front for torque vectoring. Call it all-wheel drive if you want, but this won't be a Highlander.

Better-looking than the LFA. The Lexus LFA was a pretty handsome car. Since then, Toyota's slayed it with its own Lexus LC coupe. No looking back now, guys. Blow us away. The FT-1 concept, which is thought to hint at the new Toyota sports car, is a good start.

Quicker than a Camaro SS. A new Camaro SS with a sticker price of about $38,000 can run 0-60 mph in about 4.0 seconds. It's the new benchmark for mid-priced performance cars.

Under $75,000. The latest rumors suggest Supra pricing in the Corvette range. But the Supra never was a supercar. It was a sporty car first, then a true sports car. We're all about evolution, but it may be a step too far from the $26,000 Toyota 86 to a $100,000 Supra. Plus, you remember what happened with the LFA, right?

Carbon fiber, aluminum, and ultra-high-strength steel. Mixed-material construction will be the only way to manage Supra curb weight while meeting global crash standards. All carbon, all aluminum—the benefits are lower per dollar invested. Toyota's already shown its finesse with this in the latest LS concept car, and that's sure to make its way throughout the lineup.

Dual-clutch 8-speed transmission. We'd love to see a real manual transmission in the Supra, since we #GiveAShift, but without a high-strength manual in the Toyota parts bin it's far more likely we'll see a DCT in the Supra.

A 200-mph top speed. Corvettes and Camaros hit 200 mph, or come very close. It's a dizzying, new-era performance benchmark all its own.

Bonus round: It needs to be open-source for tuners. The fast-and-furious Supra is sure to be a darling of the SEMA set. If it's so complex it can't be modified, the appeal diminishes dramatically. Anyone with cash and skills should be able to modify it with parts overnighted from Japan. The question is, will it be ready for Race Wars?

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
My list starting from most important:

1. Transaxle (whether manual, sequential, dual-clutch, automatic or variable, no importance, but it should be at the rear axle)

2. Compact size (two seats)

3. Light weight

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ I agree. But I'd rather a 2+2 or optional like the 300zx back in the day.

An Inline is wishful but realistically if it's a Toyota engine I see a V6 TT coming and I'm ok with that at this point. If it's a BMW engine I'll still take one but don't call it Supra. As well as providing both a hybrid and non hybrid option. Also NO Synthetic engine noise through the speakers PLEASE.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
A hybrid. Gross.

Twin-turbocharged. Well I would hope at least one turbo.

An inline-6. Honestly don't care.

Rear-wheel drive with front-wheel electric motors. No thanks.

Better-looking than the LFA. Well yeah. LFA looks cool but not really beautiful.

Quicker than a Camaro SS. Obviously at the very least. Should be quicker than a Corvette, not just a Camaro. Maybe they mean a Z28 or ZL1?

Under $75,000. I hope so, but if the performance is disappointing, it won't matter.

Carbon fiber, aluminum, and ultra-high-strength steel. Absolutely carbon and aluminum. Keep the steel.

Dual-clutch 8-speed transmission. Absolutely needs a proper dual clutch, but not necessarily 8 speeds.

A 200-mph top speed. This seems reasonable.

Bonus round: Honestly tunability isn't that big for me. And no matter, the aftermarket will unlock it. I would prefer it to be quick from the showroom than have to add power.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.