Wouldnt Rev after starting

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
@Dannyvandelft I find it difficult to believe you are naturally as thick as you seem to be... although I'm sure it's possible. Seems too obtuse to be real.

Question: What do you think they meant by "the full drive power"... 1K RPM only? Because it will stall much below that and won't even accelerate as well as a 30 year old Pinto with a blown engine between 1K and 1.2K. Clearly "full drive power" means to the redline - and yes, that is exactly how it works on BMW's as well - they (reasonably) are protecting you from damaging the engine.

What it doesn't mean in any BMW ever... is limiting the engine to the point that you can't back out of the driveway and drive away at a normal speed (15-30 mph depending). If people were complaining about it not revving over 3K-3.5K while cold... then you would be completely correct and (partially) validated in your subsequent displays of ass-hattery.

I swear you must be a real treat at parties.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
@Dannyvandelft I find it difficult to believe you are naturally as thick as you seem to be... although I'm sure it's possible. Seems too obtuse to be real.

Question: What do you think they meant by "the full drive power"... 1K RPM only? Because it will stall much below that and won't even accelerate as well as a 30 year old Pinto with a blown engine between 1K and 1.2K. Clearly "full drive power" means to the redline - and yes, that is exactly how it works on BMW's as well - they (reasonably) are protecting you from damaging the engine.

What it doesn't mean in any BMW ever... is limiting the engine to the point that you can't back out of the driveway and drive away at a normal speed (15-30 mph depending). If people were complaining about it not revving over 3K-3.5K while cold... then you would be completely correct and (partially) validated in your subsequent displays of ass-hattery.

You're right, I'm really not. I started out just wanting to help. Trying to make the worrying princesses feel better that their cars were working fine. But, of course, then I get called names because it doesn't line up with their "sky is falling" theories. Yeah, then I tend to push back lol.
I've said from the beginning I don't know the parameters. I didn't design it. I had it happen to me, and it worked exactly as described. I had the limited revs, the limited power, and the stalling feeling when I started DRIVING. And after approximately 30 seconds, it did go to full power and free revs, as stated in the manual.
All these princesses let their cars idle for many minutes, which is dumb in itself, and then they get the cut revs and the meltdowns begin. But miraculously after they start DRIVING, for 30 seconds or so, it comes to full power. And failing to make the connection, and me regurgitating it over and over, and having a manual saying it, but I'M the thick one....

Yeah ok.

Last edited:

ArthurWick

First Name
PA
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra

Amen!

ArthurWick

First Name
PA
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
@Dannyvandelft

If for you, having no power at all, bogging and almost stalling is normal because the manual say you might not get FULL power in the first 30 sec of driving, you clearly extrapolate on what is stated in the manual. I didnā€™t read anywhere Ā« no power at all and stalling feeling Ā» huge difference with Ā« maybe the car wont allow full power on the first 30 seconds Ā».

And I think you are the one acting like a princess (as you said) trying to comfort yourself that your car is working exactly as the manufacturer intended it to.

If Toyota meant no power at all and stalling, they would have put those words in the manual to cover their ass but they have not. Why? Because the NHTSA would not allow that.

I had a 13 Pathfinder that got recalled because the NHTSA found that some accident happened because the vehicle would hesitate to accelerate under certain circumstances. Hesitate to accelerate isnt no power at all and still they got Nissan to recall. And it happened to a lot of other brand as well.

Mitsubishi
https://www.motor1.com/news/94639/mitsubishi-cvt-recalled-for-hesitating-during-acceleration/amp/

Hyundai
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...-tucson-crossovers-for-failure-to-accelerate/

Nissan https://amp.detroitnews.com/amp/71693076

Cadillac
https://www.autoweek.com/news/a1895396/cadillac-recalls-srx-acceleration-lag/

And there are many mores!

Donā€™t think those recalls would have happened if every owner that found a line in the manual got to think Ā« ah itā€™s okay, everything is fine, itā€™s normal Ā». Some owners tought that clearly this was not right and that it could be dangerous and filed complaint that in the end forced some recalls that might have prevent injuries or death. Better safe than sorry!

Are you helping anyone here?! Do you really think the NHTSA would approve our cars behavior??

Do you still think itā€™s okay and normal that your car sometimes wonā€™t accelerate at all? Or could it be that this feature sometime act faulty and in a different way that BMW-Toyota designed it to?

Not allowing full power is understandable in the first 30 sec, but sometimes no power at all?

Last edited:

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@Dannyvandelft

If for you, having no power at all, bogging and almost stalling is normal because the manual say you might not get FULL power in the first 30 sec of driving, you clearly extrapolate on what is stated in the manual. I didnā€™t read anywhere Ā« no power at all and stalling feeling Ā» huge difference with Ā« maybe the car wont allow full power on the first 30 seconds Ā».

And I think you are the one acting like a princess (as you said) trying to comfort yourself that your car is working exactly as the manufacturer intended it to.

If Toyota meant no power at all and stalling, they would have put those words in the manual to cover their ass but they have not. Why? Because the NHTSA would not allow that.

I had a 13 Pathfinder that got recalled because the NHTSA found that some accident happened because the vehicle would hesitate to accelerate under certain circumstances. Hesitate to accelerate isnt no power at all and still they got Nissan to recall. And it happened to a lot of other brand as well.

Mitsubishi
https://www.motor1.com/news/94639/mitsubishi-cvt-recalled-for-hesitating-during-acceleration/amp/

Hyundai
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...-tucson-crossovers-for-failure-to-accelerate/

Nissan https://amp.detroitnews.com/amp/71693076

Cadillac
https://www.autoweek.com/news/a1895396/cadillac-recalls-srx-acceleration-lag/

And there are many mores!

Donā€™t think those recalls would have happened if every owner that had found a line in the manual that got them to think Ā« ah itā€™s okay, everything is fine, itā€™s normal Ā». Some owners tought that clearly this was not right and that it could be dangerous and filed complaint that in the end forced some recalls that might have prevent injuries or death. Better safe than sorry!

Are you helping anyone here?! Do you really think the NHTSA would approve our cars behavior??

Do you still think itā€™s okay and normal that your car sometimes wonā€™t accelerate at all? Or could it be that this feature sometime act faulty and in a different way that BMW-Toyota designed it to?

Not allowing full power is understandable in the first 30 sec, but sometimes no power at all?
You have a point in that the way it's written allows for different interpretation.
I can only speak of when I had the "issue" and how the car behaved.
In my case, I backed out the driveway, and when I went in D, it had the rev cut. I pressed the throttle, and the car didn't feel like it normally would. You had to give more throttle than usual but the car did pull away and drove. Transitioning from R to D it felt a little off, which could be seen as stalling I guess. But the car pulled away (slowly) and by the time I was down the street at the intersection, it was running like normal.

ArthurWick

First Name
PA
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
You have a point in that the way it's written allows for different interpretation.
I can only speak of when I had the "issue" and how the car behaved.
In my case, I backed out the driveway, and when I went in D, it had the rev cut. I pressed the throttle, and the car didn't feel like it normally would. You had to give more throttle than usual but the car did pull away and drove. Transitioning from R to D it felt a little off, which could be seen as stalling I guess. But the car pulled away (slowly) and by the time I was down the street at the intersection, it was running like normal.

What you have experienced in your car was judged abnormal and dangerous by the NHTSA in numerous cases that led to recalls for safety issues. Iā€™m just trying to get a clear statement from Toyota about this issue.

NHTSA set a legal precedent for issues almost identical to what you have experienced. Thatā€™s why I filed a complaint with Toyota. Precedent and safety. Iā€™m not trying to get rid of the car, I love it, just want Toyota to set things straight about this issue.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What you have experienced in your car was judged abnormal and dangerous by the NHTSA in numerous cases that led to recalls for safety issues. Iā€™m just trying to get a clear statement from Toyota about this issue.

NHTSA set a legal precedent for issues almost identical to what you have experienced. Thatā€™s why I filed a complaint with Toyota. Precedent and safety. Iā€™m not trying to get rid of the car, I love it, just want Toyota to set things straight about this issue.
I understand completely. I love my car too. But, and this is what I keep trying to say, everything that happened IN MY CASE and from what I've read from a few others, falls under what is described in the manual. So Toyota knows, BMW knows, and it's obviously a designed feature.
Should it be there is a whooooole other conversation. Right now, it is there, and in my opinion working as intended.
Maybe not for everyone (before the torches and pitch forks come out again) but certainly in my case. And I believe most others.
It wasn't dangerous at any point, barely an inconvenience. It's just unexpected because you get no warning on the dash. Which is another point. If it was malfunctioning, there would/should be a CEL since that's the whole purpose of the damn light lol.
I think it just messes with people because they expect to feel a certain response, and when it isn't there, your mind goes "oh shit" kinda like when you walk in the dark, and expect ground under your feet, but you went a step down and the few extra inches of travel make you feel you're going to fall because you expected to feel ground before you did.

ArthurWick

First Name
PA
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I understand completely. I love my car too. But, and this is what I keep trying to say, everything that happened IN MY CASE and from what I've read from a few others, falls under what is described in the manual. So Toyota knows, BMW knows, and it's obviously a designed feature.
Should it be there is a whooooole other conversation. Right now, it is there, and in my opinion working as intended.
Maybe not for everyone (before the torches and pitch forks come out again) but certainly in my case. And I believe most others.
It wasn't dangerous at any point, barely an inconvenience. It's just unexpected because you get no warning on the dash. Which is another point. If it was malfunctioning, there would/should be a CEL since that's the whole purpose of the damn light lol.
I think it just messes with people because they expect to feel a certain response, and when it isn't there, your mind goes "oh shit" kinda like when you walk in the dark, and expect ground under your feet, but you went a step down and the few extra inches of travel make you feel you're going to fall because you expected to feel ground before you did.
Agree to disagree and I am very glad you are not working for the NHTSA. What was barely an inconvenience for you was considered dangerous and led to many recalls for many brands. I donā€™t know why but Iā€™d rather stand by the NHTSA judgment than yours.

Are you even able to figure out that it can be dangerous to have a car behaving like that? Itā€™s even more dangerous that it doesnā€™t do it everytime!! You would kinda get accustomed to.

I really donā€™t care that you again extrapolate that BMW and Toyota knows that our cars have no power at all sometimes. I care that the NHTSA and Toyota knows. Then it will be interesting. It will take some time, but my bet is a recall.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Agree to disagree and I am very glad you are not working for the NHTSA. What was barely an inconvenience for you was considered dangerous and led to many recalls for many brands. I donā€™t know why but Iā€™d rather stand by the NHTSA judgment than yours.

Are you even able to figure out that it can be dangerous to have a car behaving like that? Itā€™s even more dangerous that it doesnā€™t do it everytime!! You would kinda get accustomed to.

I really donā€™t care that you again extrapolate that BMW and Toyota knows that our cars have no power at all sometimes. I care that the NHTSA and Toyota knows. Then it will be interesting. It will take some time, but my bet is a recall.
And here I thought we were just having a regular conversation and you turn out to be another overreacting princess lol.
If it had no power at all, it wouldn't move, at all. But since it did, it did have (some) power.
I'm glad I don't work for the NHTSA either. I can only roll my eyes so many times a day.
So since this went absolutely nowhere, again, and people (like you) are too stubborn to even entertain other possibilities than their own opinion, I'm just gonna leave this thread be for a while.
Have fun complaining and opening tickets, emails, and whatnot for something you already know.

Cheers!

ArthurWick

First Name
PA
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
And here I thought we were just having a regular conversation and you turn out to be another overreacting princess lol.
If it had no power at all, it wouldn't move, at all. But since it did, it did have (some) power.
I'm glad I don't work for the NHTSA either. I can only roll my eyes so many times a day.
So since this went absolutely nowhere, again, and people (like you) are too stubborn to even entertain other possibilities than their own opinion, I'm just gonna leave this thread be for a while.
Have fun complaining and opening tickets, emails, and whatnot for something you already know.

Cheers!
For my part I am still having a normal conversation, having a normal conversation doesnā€™t mean agreeing with each other! I wonder who the princess really is?

Like I said you do assume and extrapolate a lot of things. You make me think of a religious fanatic that canā€™t think by themselves and always refer to the Holy scriptures when you are asked questions.

And you never really answer questions.

Put your Holy owners manual aside and answer all by yourself these simple question that Iā€™ve asked you before. I will keep it really simple, you can answer only by yes or no...

Do you agree that a car behaving like we have describe could be dangerous in some situation?

Do you believe that a car company would intentionally include a feature in their car that led to massive recalls for safety issues numerous times?

Do you agree the fact is that thereā€™s precedent in that matter (almost identical issues) for a lot of brands and that it led to recalls for safety issues?

Do you agree that Ā« not having full power available Ā» is very different than Ā« car will accelerate to about 3 mph then bog and almost stall even if you apply full throttle for 2-3 seconds Ā»?

Do you agree that the issue could be cause by a faulty feature not working as intended.

Do you agree that it might be possible that BMW-Toyota are not aware that the Supra sometimes behave like this because thatā€™s not how they planned the feature to intervene?

The one who is stubborn is the one that lacks curiosity and stand by The Holy Owners Manual that somewhat almost say something that might fit his opinion.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
For my part I am still having a normal conversation, having a normal conversation doesnā€™t mean agreeing with each other! I wonder who the princess really is?

Like I said you do assume and extrapolate a lot of things. You make me think of a religious fanatic that canā€™t think by themselves and always refer to the Holy scriptures when you are asked questions.

And you never really answer questions.

Put your Holy owners manual aside and answer all by yourself these simple question that Iā€™ve asked you before. I will keep it really simple, you can answer only by yes or no...

Do you agree that a car behaving like we have describe could be dangerous in some situation?

Do you believe that a car company would intentionally include a feature in their car that led to massive recalls for safety issues numerous times?

Do you agree the fact is that thereā€™s precedent in that matter (almost identical issues) for a lot of brands and that it led to recalls for safety issues?

Do you agree that Ā« not having full power available Ā» is very different than Ā« car will accelerate to about 3 mph then bog and almost stall even if you apply full throttle for 2-3 seconds Ā»?

Do you agree that the issue could be cause by a faulty feature not working as intended.

Do you agree that it might be possible that BMW-Toyota are not aware that the Supra sometimes behave like this because thatā€™s not how they planned the feature to intervene?

The one who is stubborn is the one that lacks curiosity and stand by The Holy Owners Manual that somewhat almost say something that might fit his opinion.
There really is no point. I can only say it so many times, in so many ways. You know where I stand. I'm done talking about it.

ArthurWick

First Name
PA
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
There really is no point. I can only say it so many times, in so many ways. You know where I stand. I'm done talking about it.
Thought you were gone, couldnā€™t resist huh? Again no answer... Do everyone a favor and just leave this thread like you said you would. At least stand by what you said.
Sponsored