Wouldnt Rev after starting

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Thought you were gone, couldn’t resist huh? Again no answer... Do everyone a favor and just leave this thread like you said you would. At least stand by what you said.
Then don't ask me to respond to a question dumbass.
Sponsored

ArthurWick

First Name
PA
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Then don't ask me to respond to a question dumbass.
You have never answer a question that I asked you, so why would you now care to answer?? Who was the one whining about being called names? LMFAO!!

But It’s ok, don’t feel obliged to answer, you can go, everything will be alright, we will all be fine without you cheering everything is working as intended on the car, and if you feel unsafe just read your owner’s manual and it will all go away...

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
You have never answer a question that I asked you, so why would you now care to answer?? Who was the one whining about being called names? LMFAO!!

But It’s ok, don’t feel obliged to answer, you can go, everything will be alright, we will all be fine without you cheering everything is working as intended on the car, and if you feel unsafe just read your owner’s manual and it will all go away...
:thumbsup:

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
To expand on what @ArthurWick linked... the real issue here (in addition to the obvious ones) is the fact that it is not a consistent behavior amongst all MKV units produced. I've never experienced the problem at all... even in a couple tests where I pretended to be 18 and revved my engine to ~4K while at/near freezing ambients, right after starting.

Now I'm obviously not going to continue testing like that, at the risk of long term reliability. :eek: The fact that (even under deliberately stupid conditions) I wasn't able to duplicate this behavior at all, leads to obvious questions:
  • Is the stalling/limiting which people are experiencing "normal" and therefore mine is "broken"?
  • Is the behavior merely a problem of set point values (i.e. some have 1200 RPM set rather than 4200)? Perhaps mine is set to ~4200 which I never reach during the first 30 seconds (or 300 seconds for that matter) of normal driving.
  • Is the behavior even related to ECU limiting function at all? (i.e. fuel pump/injector issue, sensor error, etc.)
It's clear from posters here, as well as those in videos online, that the conditions for this to be both normal and limited to cold-start protection are invalid. For many it occurred with warmed up cars in far above freezing temperatures - so that's definitely something else (or at least an error in applying the "cold protection" at virtually any temperature - both engine-wise and ambient).

I'm quite happy that I've never experienced this in 12 months and 13K miles now... but that fact alone proves that (one way or another) not all of our cars are even relatively "identical" - at least in coding and factory tuning parameters. Considering the paint problems many have had (which I also avoided for the most part) there's a lot more variables than just model year and paint color.

EDIT: And all the above is without even going into Bimmercoded flashes, custom tunes, aftermarket products, etc. Those are all also variables which could exacerbate or potentially ameliorate the problem. For reference, mine is all stock except for the July 2020 update (I think) and coding the auto-start memory (to always off of course), and the camera display brightness fix.

Last edited:

ArthurWick

First Name
PA
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
To expand on what @ArthurWick linked... the real issue here (in addition to the obvious ones) is the fact that it is not a consistent behavior amongst all MKV units produced. I've never experienced the problem at all... even in a couple tests where I pretended to be 18 and revved my engine to ~4K while at/near freezing ambients, right after starting.

Now I'm obviously not going to continue testing like that, at the risk of long term reliability. :eek: The fact that (even under deliberately stupid conditions) I wasn't able to duplicate this behavior at all, leads to obvious questions:
  • Is the stalling/limiting which people are experiencing "normal" and therefore mine is "broken"?
  • Is the behavior merely a problem of set point values (i.e. some have 1200 RPM set rather than 4200)? Perhaps mine is set to ~4200 which I never reach during the first 30 seconds (or 300 seconds for that matter) of normal driving.
  • Is the behavior even related to ECU limiting function at all? (i.e. fuel pump/injector issue, sensor error, etc.)
It's clear from posters here, as well as those in videos online, that the conditions for this to be both normal and limited to cold-start protection are invalid. For many it occurred with warmed up cars in far above freezing temperatures - so that's definitely something else (or at least an error in applying the "cold protection" at virtually any temperature - both engine-wise and ambient).

I'm quite happy that I've never experienced this in 12 months and 13K miles now... but that fact alone proves that (one way or another) not all of our cars are even relatively "identical" - at least in coding and factory tuning parameters. Considering the paint problems many have had (which I also avoided for the most part) there's a lot more variables than just model year and paint color.

EDIT: And all the above is without even going into Bimmercoded flashes, custom tunes, aftermarket products, etc. Those are all also variables which could exacerbate or potentially ameliorate the problem. For reference, mine is all stock except for the July 2020 update (I think) and coding the auto-start memory (to always off of course), and the camera display brightness fix.
The more I search and read about similar issues that happened before, the more I think it might be related to a transmission programming glitch. Happened to ZF 9 speed transmission in FCA vehicles. Pretty sure your car is running as it should! ;)

OP
OP
KillxPoint

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
Just to clarify only during a few times on my posted videos i put the pedal to the floor for test purposes other then that my tests would be barely pushing the pedal. It doesnt take much to raise the rpms. Even barely pushing the pedal the rpms will race to 2k easy. Only reason i found out i had a problem is because my brother wanted to hear the exhaust.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just to clarify only during a few times on my posted videos i put the pedal to the floor for test purposes other then that my tests would be barely pushing the pedal. It doesnt take much to raise the rpms. Even barely pushing the pedal the rpms will race to 2k easy. Only reason i found out i had a problem is because my brother wanted to hear the exhaust.
Exactly. Even when I was being deliberately stupid... I never had to use more than about 3/4" of pedal travel to see the tach hit levels I was already uncomfortable with on a cold engine. I have no doubt whatsoever that had I floored it any of those times I'd have been well over 6K - if not all the way to redline. ;) That is unless the protection on my car is set between 4K and 6K - in which case (hopefully) it would have stopped there.

Considering the snow on the ground in a few videos of people revving upon start and then backing out of their garage 10 seconds later... apparently they don't have the problem either. Admittedly I have no knowledge of prior use - they may have just staged the video after all, and actually had a fully warmed up car at the time.

My 2016 Lexus RCF had the same protections... but since the entire tach was digital, it also displayed the limit dynamically. When it was very cold outside, it would place the redline at ~4.5K and then every few seconds it would move another tick higher until reaching the normal ~7.2K after a few minutes of driving. Really, since the in-gauge portion in our tach is also all digital... there's no reason why it couldn't do the same thing - if Toyota would have taken a tiny bit more interest rather than just picking from the BMW parts bin and adding aesthetic touches in plastic to it. :rolleyes:

Although I'm much happier with the MKV... I do miss that interior. Considering it was ~$30K more expensive, but not nearly as fun to drive - the cheap-ish interior is an acceptable compromise IMO.

Last edited:

D-VO

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra (a91) Tungsten
I've never had this issue again as long as I don't try to neutral rev on cold start. Which seems like such a silly thing that I can't even blip the throttle, but whatever.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I've never had this issue again as long as I don't try to neutral rev on cold start. Which seems like such a silly thing that I can't even blip the throttle, but whatever.
In that particular case, I would side with @Dannyvandelft and say it was working correctly as described in the manual (though being limited to just 1200 RPM or so would still be a 'bug' IMO). On a warmed up car, or one in gear at any temperature, it is definitely NOT as described, and shouldn't happen.

Foxhound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Nocturnal
I was at the Toyota dealership to pick up another set of temp tags. On my way out, started up the car and the rev issue happened! Promptly pulled in the Service Manager and showed it to him.

He said he’s going to contact the Toyota Engineer to come in and drive the car around. He said the engineer is gonna hook up a data reading tool and see what he picks up...we’ll see where it goes from there.

I hope the engineer doesn’t come back with some bs. I have no idea how the process from this stage on goes so @KillxPoint some more context from your experience would be great!

OP
OP
KillxPoint

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
I was at the Toyota dealership to pick up another set of temp tags. On my way out, started up the car and the rev issue happened! Promptly pulled in the Service Manager and showed it to him.

He said he’s going to contact the Toyota Engineer to come in and drive the car around. He said the engineer is gonna hook up a data reading tool and see what he picks up...we’ll see where it goes from there.

I hope the engineer doesn’t come back with some bs. I have no idea how the process from this stage on goes so @KillxPoint some more context from your experience would be great!
Just start the thread from the beginning. I gave all the info on what happen and the steps i took. They will tell you its normal and its not consistent. The biggest issue mine was doing was sitting at idle for long periods of time and still having no power. Thats what prompted them to try and fix it. Since they couldn't remedy the problem i decided to call toyota and pursue arbitrary. Toyota ended up buying the car back.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
@KillxPoint spent great effort documenting and I think that's what gave him "success" if you can call that. - for me, success should've been he is enjoying his supra without having to report this problem. I believe he took video whether he expected issue or not since this was intermittent in the beginning and was able to convince Toyota that the Problem exist. If you feel that you have similar issue, definitely should do same, showing "No Rev. Situation" immediately as well as few minutes later.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
So interestingly enough the Rev thing happened to me today. Wasnt a cold start. I had been driving the car around for about 30 min or so. Stopped by a place and turned off the car so i could setup my camera for some exhaust noise shots.

Turned the car on (car is still in operating temps), put the car in neutral and went to blip the gas. And nothing happened. it barely rose to 2k. Now whats interesting is i decided to really quicky put my foot down. Car was sluggish as all hell rising, but as soon as it hit 4k RPMs, it just shot straight to redline. I let go, and decided to blip the gas again to find the sluggishness back. Now instead of turning off the car, i put it in drive and took off. Car was super sluggish for like a split second till it seemed to just "catch" and the car drove normally. Came back, put the car in neutral, and blipped the gas and it responded as i expected it too. And so i managed to get my exhaust video.

Interesting thing is, when i was done with my recording. I turned the car off to put everything away and then turned it back on to drive home. To test i decided to blip the throttle again and it was sluggish. I put it in drive, it bogged for a split second and then drove fine.

I wonder if what i was experiencing is different from @KillxPoint as mine was not a cold start and the car had been driven for a bit. Maybe in my situation, some sort of saftey kicked in as the car is already hot...not sure. When i head out later tonight i'm going to see if it bogs down right after i start the car up.
Sponsored