Wouldnt Rev after starting

Snorlax27

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 1995 E36 M3
Also — were you guys getting low mpg during the break in period? I’ve been averaging 20mpg, driving around suburbia in normal mode and not revving above 4K RPM as per break in guidance. maybe I’m overthinking but I could have sworn people here were getting much better figures? EPA city rating is 22mpg, and I’m doing worse than that in suburbia...very odd!
Sorry to hear about all the other issues going on with your car, keep us posted. Sounds similar to @KillxPoint and his issues.

In regards to your MPG, I’d say that isn’t too far off from my average. I putt around town in sports and pop it in normal on the highway, average about 21.8mpg. When I first got the vehicle it was averaging 16! Just do a reset in your MPG monitoring under your settings. When I was babying it on the highway, I was getting about 30mpg.
Sponsored

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
I purchased my brand new A91 on Saturday. Was enjoying the hell out of until Monday, when I tried to show off the car to my friends. I went to rev, and experienced the exact same issues as @KillxPoint :-( I’ve since had the issue recur on at least 4 other occasions, once again happening today after the car was already warm (also in front of another set of friends lo). I’ve been documenting the issue with my iPhone every time it happens.

The issue is random, but not infrequent, which is extremely concerning for a car with 300 miles on it. Also — were you guys getting low mpg during the break in period? I’ve been averaging 20mpg, driving around suburbia in normal mode and not revving above 4K RPM as per break in guidance. maybe I’m overthinking but I could have sworn people here were getting much better figures? EPA city rating is 22mpg, and I’m doing worse than that in suburbia...very odd!

I called Toyota corporate Customer Care to establish a record of the issue. I’m going to take it in on Saturday to get the diagnostic done and see where it goes from there.

I’m bummed out to say the least and I must admit it makes it much harder for me to bond with my beautiful A91, knowing that it has this unacceptable flaw. The car is sooo good and is everything I want...so I hope Toyota comes through.
So there is more evidence slowly emerging of this issue.

Thank you for posting and yes log it all and record the details of occurrence etc.

Excellent to hear you contacted Toyota and get in touch with @KillxPoint and get some advice from him.

Good luck, sorry to hear about this and thanks for posting.

pr0jekt_cha0s

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I picked up my car from the dealer this evening as they were not able to reproduce the issue. It's now been in the shop longer than I've owned it. I'm also documenting everything in a spreadsheet along with videos. I haven't contacted Toyota yet but plan to on Friday.

OP
OP
KillxPoint

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
@Foxhound @pr0jekt_cha0s
The key is documentation. I made a video everytime i started the car because it was so inconsistent. It went from random starts to all most all starts. I would recommend keeping the car at the dealer for a week and have them test it everyday till they can reproduce the issue. Just upload all your videos to youtube like i did and share the link to the supra tech and he will share with toyota.

Tripjammer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra Premium 3.0
They could have forgotten something during PDI or done something wrong during PDI. Sounds like these dealers don’t have the proper training on the Supra!

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
They could have forgotten something during PDI or done something wrong during PDI. Sounds like these dealers don’t have the proper training on the Supra!
Toyota needs to send all Supra techs to BMW for a few months to get the correct training.

Foxhound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Nocturnal
Update: just got a call back from Toyota service.

They said they did not see any fault codes during the diagnostic (shocker). Oh, and there’s a nail in my front left tire (“close” to the sidewall, fingers crossed it’s far enough to get a plug). Just my f***ing luck.

I’m gonna take the car back instead of letting it sit for a week for them to tell me the same thing. I’ll continue compiling a body of evidence around this issue until I decide to bring it back to the shop.

Pretty pissed right now. Thanks Toyota.

@KillxPoint any chance you can DM me the name of your Toyota Corporate Rep? I would like to give him/her a call...

DB42R

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 MT Supra
@willyswillys and @Foxhound, post up your SW level if you can?

I’ve never had this issue and seems only to be a thing lately and I’d be curious if we could pin it down to a point in time?

FWIW, I am S18T-19-07-555 and have never noticed this issue in 16,000 miles

Last edited:

pr0jekt_cha0s

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I haven't had the issue since I brought the car back home on Wednesday night. I'm recording my daily start. It would be nice to contact the same Corp Rep who is familiar with the issue. I'll check sw level in the morning.

john99teg

First Name
johnreb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a91 nocturnal special edition
Working on multiple brand dealerships, this could be a number of things. I am intrigued by this. Usually when there an inhibit, a dtc would set since it would not be in the correct parameters. A bad ground or something of that sort would cause more intermittent problems then just that throttle as most ground are shared nowadays. My guess is something during pdi process was not completed properly/software fault/module fault/throttle pedal position not registering correctly.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
I wonder if the "cold start protection" is also temperature based. For us Californians, its not that time of year where it gets cold yet. The coldest we see right now is maybe 40 degrees? I wonder if the cold start protection is more for something closer to 0 degrees.

I havnt really tested mine as everytime i drive it, i end up idling for about 30 seconds as i put in my google maps directions and select my music. I also dont tend to drive in sport until the temp gauge reaches optimal operating temp. So far i havnt had any issues with the car so i'm crossing my fingers that nothing pops up.

A91 2021 model for reference