KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
Mine idled with no power for long periods of time, also radio screen would twitch along with the windshield wiper twitch which was fixed. The icing on the cake was the red paint had clear coat problems so thats why i decided to have toyota buy the car back. (They bought the car back because they couldnt fix the long periods of idle with no power)If the paint was good i would have kept the car untill toyota figured out how to fix my car.
Just seems odd to have so many electronic issues with the car. I wish mine was like the manual described no power for 30 secs but mine was different.

Just so inconsistent across all supra owners. Thats what makes me believe there might be a recall someday.
Sponsored

ArthurWick

First Name
PA
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
wow that seems even more extreme than what me or Killx was experiencing. I'd definetly take it to a dealership at that point.
They donā€™t have a clue and we couldnā€™t make it happen at the dealer.

Happened to me twice in 5K miles. Felt like the car was not sure if 1st gear was engaged and took like 2-3 seconds to figure that out. My car is stored for the winter, but I plan to do some test in April to verify a few guesses I have about whatā€™s causing this issue.

ArthurWick

First Name
PA
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Mine idled with no power for long periods of time, also radio screen would twitch along with the windshield wiper twitch which was fixed. The icing on the cake was the red paint had clear coat problems so thats why i decided to have toyota buy the car back. (They bought the car back because they couldnt fix the long periods of idle with no power)If the paint was good i would have kept the car untill toyota figured out how to fix my car.
Just seems odd to have so many electronic issues with the car. I wish mine was like the manual described no power for 30 secs but mine was different.

Just so inconsistent across all supra owners. Thats what makes me believe there might be a recall someday.
I agree. Mine was able to rev as much as I wanted and had no hesitation at all in P the few times I did it, even with a cold engine once, go figure LOL!

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
unfortunately this is probably the unreliable BMW part that everyone is worried about.

ArthurWick

First Name
PA
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
unfortunately this is probably the unreliable BMW part that everyone is worried about.
I was thinking like you but Iā€™ve Searched the BMW B58 and ZF 8HP forums and did not find anything about a similar issue.

JDG520

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
Happened again last night. Started the car and let it idle while showing a coworker who wanted to check it out. Stood by the car for probably 15-20 mins bullshitting. Got in, put in D. Zero power. Turned the car off then on. No power. Put it in D and drove 50 ft and it returned to normal. This is the third time Iā€™ve seen this and I have 550 miles on the car.

If thatā€™s not a safety issue I donā€™t know one. Luckily I was just pulling out of a gated parking lot w zero traffic so I could limp it along without issue. I could only imagine if you were pulling out of street parking.

OP
OP
KillxPoint

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
Happened again last night. Started the car and let it idle while showing a coworker who wanted to check it out. Stood by the car for probably 15-20 mins bullshitting. Got in, put in D. Zero power. Turned the car off then on. No power. Put it in D and drove 50 ft and it returned to normal. This is the third time Iā€™ve seen this and I have 550 miles on the car.

If thatā€™s not a safety issue I donā€™t know one. Luckily I was just pulling out of a gated parking lot w zero traffic so I could limp it along without issue. I could only imagine if you were pulling out of street parking.
When you say you let it idle for 15 mins did you try and rev it a little while in park and still no power? I understand you put it in drive and that happen to you but im curious about while in park also.

Seems like there is a problem with the software in these cars.

JDG520

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
When you say you let it idle for 15 mins did you try and rev it a little while in park and still no power? I understand you put it in drive and that happen to you but im curious about while in park also.

Seems like there is a problem with the software in these cars.
Put it in D. Saw it was limping. Back in P tried to rev wouldnā€™t go above like 1500rpm and totally powerless. Shut the car off and restarted. Same thing. So I put it in D to drive it to see what itā€™d do. It came back to full power like I said. Iā€™ll probably start recording when it does it and if I find it doing it more consistently or I figure out how to make it do it Iā€™ll be taking it in to have it looked at.

Probably/possibly unrelated but every time Iā€™ve had the issue itā€™s when Iā€™ve started the car with a door or the trunk open. Typically because Iā€™ve been showing the car to someone. I donā€™t know if thatā€™s freaking the vehicle out or the BCM puts it in some safety mode or something. Like I said just probably a weird coincidence, but maybe not? I donā€™t want to grasp at straws. Itā€™d just be nice to understand what criteria the vehicle looks for, not just some vague bs in the manual.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Put it in D. Saw it was limping. Back in P tried to rev wouldnā€™t go above like 1500rpm and totally powerless. Shut the car off and restarted. Same thing. So I put it in D to drive it to see what itā€™d do. It came back to full power like I said. Iā€™ll probably start recording when it does it and if I find it doing it more consistently or I figure out how to make it do it Iā€™ll be taking it in to have it looked at.

Probably/possibly unrelated but every time Iā€™ve had the issue itā€™s when Iā€™ve started the car with a door or the trunk open. Typically because Iā€™ve been showing the car to someone. I donā€™t know if thatā€™s freaking the vehicle out or the BCM puts it in some safety mode or something. Like I said just probably a weird coincidence, but maybe not? I donā€™t want to grasp at straws. Itā€™d just be nice to understand what criteria the vehicle looks for, not just some vague bs in the manual.
Hold on you might be on to something. The first time this has ever happened to me, the door was open cuz i was going to rev it for a video. I will admit, the next few times it happened, all doors were closed, however i wonder if the so called safety mode lingers for a bit. My car no longer has the revving thing. Every single time i've gotten into the car this week, rain or shine, hot or cold, its revved up just fine.

I wonder if theres a correlation between igniting the car while a door is open vs doing it when everything is closed. I do remember that the second time it didnt rev, i had turned the car on, then closed the door, then revved. However since then, i've always closed all doors and then turned the car on.

OP
OP
KillxPoint

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
Hold on you might be on to something. The first time this has ever happened to me, the door was open cuz i was going to rev it for a video. I will admit, the next few times it happened, all doors were closed, however i wonder if the so called safety mode lingers for a bit. My car no longer has the revving thing. Every single time i've gotten into the car this week, rain or shine, hot or cold, its revved up just fine.

I wonder if theres a correlation between igniting the car while a door is open vs doing it when everything is closed. I do remember that the second time it didnt rev, i had turned the car on, then closed the door, then revved. However since then, i've always closed all doors and then turned the car on.
Keep us updated if it happens again without doors open.

bonomo53

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Just had this happen again after 4 months of no issues. We got some heavy snow here yesterday so I went to move it in to the street so I can clear my driveway. When first got in I was able to drive right away through the snow will a little slipping. Cleared the driveway and kept it running. When I went to pull back in had little power. I figured it was traction control but once I put it in park it continued to do it. It would rev slowly to 2-3k then after 10 or 15 seconds shoot to 6k. Found another thread where another member had the same thing after getting stuck on ice he mentioned it might be some type of safety feature in the diff computer.

bonomo53

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Did some testing today. Let the car warmup 20 min. Got in and it revved normally. Drove around town for 30 min and tested in park and neutral no issue. Decided to try to replicate it with the slipping so I drove on some snow and let the tires spin. Put it in park and bingo started limiting the revs again. Thinking atleast in my case its a safety feature.

OP
OP
KillxPoint

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
After going back and checking alot of my videos i uploaded the issue started while starting the car with the door open. I also have a few videos where i started with the door closed so in my case it didnt matter. Curious though if thats what sets it off.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
After going back and checking alot of my videos i uploaded the issue started while starting the car with the door open. I also have a few videos where i started with the door closed so in my case it didnt matter. Curious though if thats what sets it off.
i forgot to check yesterday. I'll try and remember today. but its so interesting i've never had a car with this kind of safety feature before and it definetly seems like it can cause issues and confusion.
Sponsored