XPEL - Is this a good price? Too Good? Your misc thoughts on PPF?

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
All,

Please note that I had a read of the 8 page PPF thread: useful, but I have some specific questions about my circumstances unreasonable through that (very informative) thread.

I THINK I want PPF and perhaps XPEL in particular (disabuse me of this if you think otherwise). I started looking into getting film installed and have received wildly varying estimates (for a variety of films). XPEL was consistently high at around $2,200 - $2,400 for full hood, bumper fenders, mirrors. At that price, I was going to go with another brand. I did, however, receive a quote of $1,795 which seemed great and they said they might be able to honor the holiday 20% off discount. That put XPEL into consideration.

At that price however, it almost seems too good to be true - at least in COMPARISON. Should I be worried? Yelp reviews are over 4.5/5. Any other thoughts?
Sponsored

Dooo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91
All,

Please note that I had a read of the 8 page PPF thread: useful, but I have some specific questions about my circumstances unreasonable through that (very informative) thread.

I THINK I want PPF and perhaps XPEL in particular (disabuse me of this if you think otherwise). I started looking into getting film installed and have received wildly varying estimates (for a variety of films). XPEL was consistently high at around $2,200 - $2,400 for full hood, bumper fenders, mirrors. At that price, I was going to go with another brand. I did, however, receive a quote of $1,795 which seemed great and they said they might be able to honor the holiday 20% off discount. That put XPEL into consideration.

At that price however, it almost seems too good to be true - at least in COMPARISON. Should I be worried? Yelp reviews are over 4.5/5. Any other thoughts?
As much as the cost of getting the job is important. You should also focus on the work of the shop. Meaning are they good at what they do. And the price varies depending on either if it's a template they are applying to the car, or a custom install. I see that you are in VA, there are some reputable shops out in VA and Maryland.

I wouldn't let the price be the only deciding factor on the PPF Install

OP
OP
H2O_Doc

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
As much as the cost of getting the job is important. You should also focus on the work of the shop. Meaning are they good at what they do. And the price varies depending on either if it's a template they are applying to the car, or a custom install. I see that you are in VA, there are some reputable shops out in VA and Maryland.

I wouldn't let the price be the only deciding factor on the PPF Install
I agree that price is only one variable, which is why I want the advice that you and others can provide. The other bit of data was the yelp review/testimonials which can give a little insight into quality.

My concern, not yet proven, is that the low bid is using less well-skilled labor that could result in a bad application. Of course, there are instances of elevating the price to give the illusion of quality, so itā€™s a bit complicated.

Long winded way of saying: ā€œI hear ya, man.ā€

Last edited:
OP
OP
H2O_Doc

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Shop the installer, not the product
What my question gets at is, in part, is that very point. Can there really be that much difference in price without a difference in the quality of the installation? I havenā€™t got a ton of data to go on.

velocity2325

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Honda Accord, 2009 Scion tC, 2014 Tundra, 2021 A91 Supra
Yep definitely ignore the price and go with the best shop around town. Look at their website, facebook, instagram, etc and see if they have any history of doing the supra.

$2.2k-$2.4k isn't that bad if they are doing the full hood, bumper fenders, mirrors. Mine cost me $2.8k for high impact area (front hood, bumper, fenders, mirrors, A-pillar).

So definitely ask if they do the A-pillar as well. Probably the biggest reasons why it cost that much is the front hood. From all the videos I research and from my installer, the front hood is a pain in the butt to work with and if you want seamless PPF you have to use a enormous amount of PPF to make it work

Half Vast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 01 Tundra Limited, 00 4Runner
Take the time to visit each shop you're considering, ask them to show some of their work. Do you see any seams? Are the edges laid down nicely? Is their hood application one piece or two (are they using a template or making a custom cut)? Also check out the shops Instagram to get opinions on their work.

Noted you are in VA. If you're near the Hampton Roads area, definitely check out Simple Details in Va Beach. I had my car done there. They are damn good at what they do.

Good luck with whatever decision you come to. At least you'll know you have additional protection for your car.

SupraGR21

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra Premium
PPF is the best thing you can do to a new car hands down! Definitely shop the installer and not only the products as others have stated. I had mine done for $1500 for the entire hood, fenders, front bumper, pillars, door handle inserts, and door jam when you open the door. All XPEL laser pre cut. And the shop here in GA, AP3, did a free level buffing which took all light swirl marks made from the poor dealership "cleaning". These guys do McLaren's, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, etc.. best in the business here in GA. When I went in they were doing a brand new Cayman GT4 and a Ford GT500 Cobra(those carbon wheels are sick!!!!!)

edit: forgot to add headlights I got those done too

Last edited:

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I had XPEL done by a very reputable installer in Phoenix...I had the front bumper, hood, headlights, and A-pillars done for $1600....Very pleased and over a year later still looks great...And no paint chips whatsoever!

PPF Install.jpg

Chizadyo

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium Tungsten Silver
I had Xpel applied to all high impact areas with Gyeon Duraflex applied ontop for additional protection and clarity. Best investment you can buy for paint protection and ease of cleaning. Xpel stealth (matte finish) was applied to front bumper lip.

AZ_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Tundra, 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I had XPEL done by a very reputable installer in Phoenix...I had the front bumper, hood, headlights, and A-pillars done for $1600....Very pleased and over a year later still looks great...And no paint chips whatsoever!

PPF Install.jpg
Iā€™m in Phoenix area as well. Who was your installer?

Nonschlont

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium & Evo X
I just got quoted 2700 for full front, mirror caps, but no a pillars. Asked about the gold package ceramic coating and was quoted from 900 - 2100.
Ceramic pro "Burbank" any one have experience with them? Seems like a decent facility. Going to go check them out soon.