PPF...Is It Worth It?

humblemoto

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 A91, '07 E60 M5, '19 Panigale V4S
Has inflation gotten to people so much that $60K is now a cheap car? If so, i'm out in left field i guess.
Yes. 60k the new 30k. I’m left of left field, I’m in the parking lot listening to the PA from my tailgate.
Sponsored

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
~ my entire Supra is in ppf and I still wax it often. therapeutic.
Yes I know you can wax PPF, but it's not the same. I also see hand waxing as the most intimate ritual with a car. You learn every nook and cranny, and can stand back and see the results when you're done. It's extremely therapeutic, and one can truly enter 'flow' while doing it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

Also, it allows me to brush-up on my masking skills. 🤪

mskintp.jpg

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
you sound ridiculous.
In my opinion 60k sports car is entry level. Something like a gr86 is just a « sporty » car.

I was quoted 10k for full ppf. I was quoted 5k for replacement body panels + paint installed 🤷🏻‍♂️

Id consider paying for ppf on a supercar, but that’s just because the resale would be hard without it. These cars are beaters, they way I see it at least

Schang105

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, 2020 Porsche Macan
Hi OP, one option you can consider if on a budget but concerned about paint quality. I had mine paint corrected and ceramic coated IGL Kenzo after I took delivery from a local shop...it was about $900. Then bought a custom car cover for about $500 (covercraft HP weathershield). Since then I've just hand washed about every 2-3 weeks. Yes there are few paint chips and swirls, but manag
My apologies if this has been discussed to adnaseum. I am getting ready to take delivery of my order in a few month so I'm debating PPF. I hear the normal arguments about protecting the paint especially with Supra's notorious weak paint job. Lately though I'm hearing loads of other arguments. Most notably, this video:

His arguments are that rock chips are going to happen regardless and you would have to replace the PPF in order to get that pristine look. You can also maintain a pristine look with paint touch of which is substantially cheaper. Plus there's also the risk of damaging the paint itself when replacing PPF.

Then you also come across botched jobs where the paint is actually scratched while the PPF is being applied after paying thousands of dollars for it. https://www.supramkv.com/threads/avoid-top-guard-in-miami.13635/

I was quoted $3600 by a fairly reputable job here for
Full Front End Package
Rocker Panels & Lower Doors
Rear Wheel Impact Area

So with the fear of the cost, botched jobs, damage to the PPF itself after rock chips, difficulty of maintenance and the replacement issues I'm beginning to wonder if this is really the best option especially since the resale will not be affected at all.

What do you guys think?
Ceramic coating and custom car cover for me, no PPF too much $$$. There will be scratches and paint chips when good times are had driving, that is normal. Can always be fixed later.

SupraNews

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 XSE Hatch, 22 3.0 Prem, Chevy Z06(waiting list)
In my opinion 60k sports car is entry level. Something like a gr86 is just a « sporty » car.

I was quoted 10k for full ppf. I was quoted 5k for replacement body panels + paint installed 🤷🏻‍♂️

Id consider paying for ppf on a supercar, but that’s just because the resale would be hard without it. These cars are beaters, they way I see it at least
But then you have a multiple time repainted car I hope you just find a cheaper installer 10k is steep for a car like this

Supraman91

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra A91 (Refraction)
My apologies if this has been discussed to adnaseum. I am getting ready to take delivery of my order in a few month so I'm debating PPF. I hear the normal arguments about protecting the paint especially with Supra's notorious weak paint job. Lately though I'm hearing loads of other arguments. Most notably, this video:

His arguments are that rock chips are going to happen regardless and you would have to replace the PPF in order to get that pristine look. You can also maintain a pristine look with paint touch of which is substantially cheaper. Plus there's also the risk of damaging the paint itself when replacing PPF.

Then you also come across botched jobs where the paint is actually scratched while the PPF is being applied after paying thousands of dollars for it. https://www.supramkv.com/threads/avoid-top-guard-in-miami.13635/

I was quoted $3600 by a fairly reputable job here for
Full Front End Package
Rocker Panels & Lower Doors
Rear Wheel Impact Area

So with the fear of the cost, botched jobs, damage to the PPF itself after rock chips, difficulty of maintenance and the replacement issues I'm beginning to wonder if this is really the best option especially since the resale will not be affected at all.

What do you guys think?
Chiming in here. I was the guy who made the post you linked. Recently, I got it fixed through Xpel and my local shop.
Overall, this experience was frustrating because of the bad (horrible) first ppf experience. There a people out there who claim they are certified or heavily exaggerate claims and I definitely fell victim to that, despite my research. In the end, the second installer I went with did a great job and fixed all the errors of the previous installer (paint cut still present and sadly worse than expected but hardly visible with ppf; I’ll get it fixed with some clear glazing in about 10 years… lol).

Ppf is definitely something that adds confidence to driving your car and worrying about scratches is no longer an issue if you go with a full wrap. This car’s paint chips like crazy as it is soft Beamer paint. Overall, at the bare minimum get the front bumper and quarter panels done for your sanity. If you don’t care about chips… bare the paint and enjoy.
Yes, it’s scary giving your prized car to people who use knifes mm from the paint but you just need to find a good installer that knows what the heck they are doing. Preferable without the words “Top” or “Guard”… AP3 is great in Atlanta and Pleasant Details here in CHS SC is a great spot and qouted 6k for me.

a good installer means…
Certified.
Recommend by locals who clearly care about their cars
Clean shop that is organized and also uses lifts (to get the hard to reach stuff) and the shop being on larger side or having another location is a good thing (chains suck)
Done at least two cars more expensive that yours that have similar difficulty
Meet the installer also and talk to them… see their knowledge.
Online reviews can be faked so easy and website claims also… DONT rely on those

hope this helps, enjoy your Supra!

Sgtfluffy16

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 45th anniversary edition
Sorry, I know this is an old thread. Shortly getting PPF on my 45th anniversary edition. I plan to do full front bumper. The small panel behind the front tire. And also behind the rear tire on the bumper. Should I do in front of the rear tire? Anywhere else in particular that is a high impact area? I'm up in the air on getting the massive hood done or not

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Sorry, I know this is an old thread. Shortly getting PPF on my 45th anniversary edition. I plan to do full front bumper. The small panel behind the front tire. And also behind the rear tire on the bumper. Should I do in front of the rear tire? Anywhere else in particular that is a high impact area? I'm up in the air on getting the massive hood done or not
Umm.. the massive hood is a must! I also had the roof and two gloss A pillars done. I'd also recommend attaching rock guards even though they don't really provide 100% protection.

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
My PPF installer uses STEK PPF which is
self-healing
hydrophobic
impact resistant

I had the following covered:
front bumper
headlight lenses
entire hood
behind the front tire panels
pillars
side mirrors
doors
side skirts (carbon fiber look)

It has a 10-year warranty
I am scheduled to bring it in on Thursday (after two weeks is up) so the shop personnel can go over the film to ensure all is going well.

Last edited:

Sgtfluffy16

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 45th anniversary edition
Umm.. the massive hood is a must! I also had the roof and two gloss A pillars done. I'd also recommend attaching rock guards even though they don't really provide 100% protection.
Rock guards? You mean like mudflaps?

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Hood partial or all.

Front fenders and rocker panel. That area can get peppered with rock chips.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Ironically I have more chips and gouges down the side of the car than the hood after 40+ track events. My hood actually looks pretty pristine once I get all the tire marks off it.

My side skirts and the front black bits are trashed but those are cheap and easily replaced.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Ironically I have more chips and gouges down the side of the car than the hood after 40+ track events. My hood actually looks pretty pristine once I get all the tire marks off it.
Yeah. My PPF guy actually said that if I'm doing track work I should get the sides done. I'm just protecting my car from Soccer Mum's and truck drivers. 😅
Sponsored