ZF8HP51 Rebuild - Pure, Jack's, ATS

KBGT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
It's time to pull my trans and ship it out for rebuild. Pure seems to be the most popular then Jack's and Brian @ Applied Torque Solutions. From what I can tell C and E hubs should be replaced with upgraded units. Of course increased clutch counts are standard. Pure claims to have a proprietary friction material, whatever that's worth? Anyone have transmission upgrade experiences the would like to share?
Sponsored

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
My transmission was built by Brian @ ATS. It was $6,800 to my door in ~2 weeks. I have the 1200WHP/1000WTQ package. Cost included pickup of the old trans by FedEx freight. Just had to slap on the new label and wait for them to call to arrange a time.

I think it's wildly difficult to assess "reliability" on any of these builds, so I won't try. But what I know is that I was a built trans fence sitter for quite a while, and talking to Brian convinced me. Several of my Supra friends now have Brian builds on cars between 800 and 1300 WHP, and they're holding up nicely to regular drag racing. I'm a street guy myself.

The actual transmission swap seems daunting, but it's actually not too bad with a helping hand. @Alec-RemnantPerformance and I did it in an evening with one floor jack and some loooooong 3/8" extensions. The trans fill/bleed procedure is also pretty quick, done in under an hour.

Anyways: it shows up at your door. You drain+remove your old trans (unbolt drive shaft + unplug rear connector + remove trans cooler hoses + unbolt bell housing). Take the pan off. You swap your valve body, trans oil pump, plus some plastic fittings over to the new trans. Put the new ATS pan back on. Put the trans back on the car sloooowly.

I cannot say enough good things about Brian's customer service and build times. Plus I feel like I got a deal. Coming from other platforms with built ATs, the Pure/Jacks pricing seems like insanity to me, so I was happy with Brian's pricing that was more in-line with what I expected.

I got this build because I intend to be in the high 800s, low 900s shortly. I always prefer to over-provision versus my needs so I have room to grow, plus some breathing room.

OP
OP

KBGT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
Brian is at the top of my list but he is not taking on transmission builds until after TX2K. Assuming I get the trans out before then I may just send it to Pure as they claim to have really quick turnaround times currently.