BMW model codes include Supra (J29) with auto transmission, 4 and 6 cylinder engines

If the following is true for the Toyota, would you still be interested?

• Yes

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogglo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS
all true..no where did I get the impression that this toyota guy is in any notable position to actually know what the dev team are doing. regardless, the V6 & hybrid rumors have been around for a while but in general they have been less believable than the shared bmw powertrain rumors..
According to what I read from the forum where this information came from, the guy that was interviewed as been involved with some of Toyota's car development in the past so he is not just a random sales person. Also the fact that Toyota is putting an engine that is not currently used on any BMW makes a lot more sense to me than any rumor of Toyota using a current BMW engine. common guys its the supra THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL A CURRENT BMW ENGINE WOULD BE IN THAT CAR.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
According to what I read from the forum where this information came from, the guy that was interviewed as been involved with some of Toyota's car development in the past so he is not just a random sales person. Also the fact that Toyota is putting an engine that is not currently used on any BMW makes a lot more sense to me than any rumor of Toyota using a current BMW engine. common guys its the supra THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL A CURRENT BMW ENGINE WOULD BE IN THAT CAR.
how would it make "more" sense? I want a toyota engine in there as much as anyone else but i cannot deny that using bmw engines makes much more sense for toyota (not to mention it would keep the inline 6 "history" going). plus, there hasn't ever been a platform/chassis with both i6 and v6 configurations...not to mention the potential conflict of interest here. imagine the z4 using the current i6 making 340 HP and the supra doing 400 HP with the tt v6. bmw fans would be pretty salty that their brand helped an economy brand develop a car faster than their own variant. there are other possible arguments here, but i think most of the money went into developing the chassis while they use existing running gear.

Last edited:

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What has me a little confused about that interview is that the engine is not any of BMW's current engines but a joint engine build from both parties. So I guess the top Z4 model will share the engine if that's the case because why else help Toyota build an engine only Toyota will use? And will BMW throw in a V6 into the Z4? This would make both cars compete against one another, not sure if that is the goal of this project.

My guess only because it would make more sense is that they both built a new Inline 6 together or Toyota will be using the new V6 TT used on the upcoming Lexus LS.

bogglo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS
how would it make "more" sense? I want a toyota engine in there as much as anyone else but i cannot deny that using bmw engines makes much more sense for toyota (not to mention it would keep the inline 6 "history" going). plus, there hasn't ever been a platform/chassis with both i6 and v6 configurations...not to mention the potential conflict of interest here. imagine the z4 using the current i6 making 340 HP and the supra doing 400 HP with the tt v6. bmw fans would be pretty salty that their brand helped an economy brand develop a car faster than their own variant. there are other possible arguments here, but i think most of the money went into developing the chassis.
Well there is always a first time for everything. And sharing chassis does not mean everything has to be exactly the same. there is no conflict of interest anywhere. Any BMW fan knows what the supra is about. so for anybody to expect a supra and a Z4 to have the same performance is hilarious(there is a reason why no one is benchmarking a z4 to a corvette). And am pretty sure you don't expect that to happen either. Also, we can condemn the inline turbo engine in the Lexus but that's a sign that Toyota can still build the inline engine and if the guy said Toyota and BMW are building it together well I think that makes sense too. Also with a car debuting next year(or like the guy said 2019) its only right they give it a new engine.

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
Yeah, I don't trust this "insider information" one bit. Not saying it's wrong, but the guy probably doesn't have a clue other than what he's read online himself.

Get the hell outta here. Manual or not, even at $30,000 if it only had 248hp I'm not interested.
That's understandable. Just stating my opinion, you don't have to agree. I'm not saying I'd be thrilled about it, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker if the rest of the package is there. Hopefully Toyota realizes that we expect more though.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
The 86 is 200hp, 1250kg and a cheap price point ($30k AUD) (160hp/tonne)
The Supra successor, call it 1400kg, even base model will be well above the 86, and only 248hp? (177hp/tonne)

That doesn't make sense from a business perspective. No-one would consider buying a 248hp 'halo sports car' when at 86 would be significantly cheaper and likely just as quick.

That said, all the spy videos sound the same as the Z4, same engine note pitch after exhaust changes, same gear ratios, shift points etc.... A BMW engine is fine, as long as it's at least 350kW

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
I did watch that, and I think the differences are to do with the distance it was being filmed. I agree it sounds better, but I think there's some doeppler effects and harmonics from the camera coming into play.... I've listened to them side by side over and over... and as much as I want to hear a V6 in the Toyota... I keep hearing an inline six... :p

Just my two cents of course...

madfast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Evo X
That said, all the spy videos sound the same as the Z4, same engine note pitch after exhaust changes, same gear ratios, shift points etc.... A BMW engine is fine, as long as it's at least 350kW
i totally agree with this. as much as i want a toyota engine in there it sounds too much like the z4 mule to be a different engine. sure it's louder/better sounding but it could be as simple as a different exhaust.

i also expect this car to be auto only. it's likely going to be in the M2, cayman class of cars, $50-60k base price. as the price goes up, the potential pool of manual buyers gets less and less... look no further than the alfa giulia quadrifoglio. it was supposed to be manual only, but there just wasnt a business case to do that. so it came over as auto only. sure that's a $80-90k car, but like the supra it's not a volume model but a halo car. i sure hope im wrong but all signs point to auto only. from the leaked document, to the new post where tada-san was non committal on a manual version, all lexus F cars are auto, new m5 is auto only and probably all future M cars may be auto only, etc...

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
I find it hard to believe that the Z4 will get a row transmission and the Supra won't. Why would Toyota even agree to such terms?

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What if the Toyota car we've been seeing tested with the Z4 is only the base model because they are to share the same 4 cyl. turbo BMW engine. And the top of the line Toyota is being tested separately (Japan, California, etc.) because it is a Toyota 6 cyl. turbo engine :dunno:

I'm really hoping when they show this thing next month they give info on the engine + drive train. If all they say is it will come with a 4cyl turbo and 6cyl turbo and leave it at that, we are back to the same speculations for another year or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.