'20 A90 seeing 160DegF IAT at the track

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra, '18 TTRS,'13, LP700-4, '07 S6 V10
So as the subject states, I was seeing IATs last weekend of 160DegF. Oil temps living around 350DegF and Coolant = 250Degrees! Good thing I tow it to the track..

Given such, I did not "feel" a degradation in power, however my tuner states power was being pulled. Still, to my surprise, the car did perform excellent and placed only fractions of a second behind only a few 700+hp builds

Current setup is stock turbo ~ 450 wheel on 100 octane, AMS IM, AMS, HX, CSF side radiators.. I did meticulously vacuum fill the new AMS parts and want to assume there are no trapped bubbles.

I am running stock bimmer green coolant and A3/B4 Castrol oil w/ BGMOA.

Anyone else here experiencing such elevated temps? It was warm last weekend, maybe peak of 90 degrees ambient but not un-drivable by any means.
Sponsored

Last edited:

kyle9

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra - Gridlife StreetMod #29, '23 B48 Supra
Those temps are insanely out of bounds. At 350°F your engine is done. You got logs?
Imperceptible loss of power, though.

so either somebody is misreading the data, or they’re having a REALLY good time while driving.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
350f oil temps has to be a typo. Car would be in limp mode unless the tuner turned it off.

If correct, change your oil now because it’s past done.

OP
OP
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sorry everyone, yes when we read the logs I heard "350" but in fact the oil got to 315DegF aka 158DegC. Looking back, Ill admit I was overdriving the car, I just did not know it was this bad, so embarrassed, yes completely. I will have to recalibrate how I conduct laps with cool downs.. I am still concerned about the high IATs.. my next step is a custom Oil Cooler, I have a fellow supra friend here in town who once made a billet oil filter / cooler housing that deletes the water/oil cooler.. Maybe that will helpthe high oil temps, I suppose when I remove the IM Ill try to be "even more careful" when vacuum filling..

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Sorry everyone, yes when we read the logs I heard "350" but in fact the oil got to 315DegF aka 158DegC. Looking back, Ill admit I was overdriving the car, I just did not know it was this bad, so embarrassed, yes completely. I will have to recalibrate how I conduct laps with cool downs.. I am still concerned about the high IATs.. my next step is a custom Oil Cooler, I have a fellow supra friend here in town who once made a billet oil filter / cooler housing that deletes the water/oil cooler.. Maybe that will helpthe high oil temps, I suppose when I remove the IM Ill try to be "even more careful" when vacuum filling..
That is still insanely high. Oil temps should not exceed 220°F or so.

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
On track on hot days? I saw many ppl that track the car reporting 150C oil temps + I heared Supra GT4 normally operate in 150-160range.
There is 0 way to not exceed 220f (105C). Car on normal driving operates around 92-95C, its super easy to get 110C on the road with 2 pulls through gears.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
See, this is another example where car bowling and turny track bois live in different worlds. 220F is basically cruising temp. On track it will easily surpass that on the first lap out.

Here are 13 laps. You can see oil temp goes up past 220 on the first two laps out. Chill laps. 280f-300F is just fine with modern oils.

Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 11.40.47 AM.png

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
See, this is another example where car blowing and turny track bois live in different worlds. 220F is basically cruising temp. On track it will easily surpass that on the first lap out.

Here are 13 laps. You can see oil temp goes up past 220 on the first two laps out. Chill laps. 280f-300F is just fine with modern oils.

Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 11.40.47 AM.png
Did hood vent help with temps?

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
In addition to the vac filling, did you do the proper system bleeding procedure? Might be worth trying that. See below for the low temp circuit procedure.

That said, I bet you are just running too much boost on the stock turbo and turning the turbo into a hairdryer.

Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 11.47.23 AM.png

OP
OP
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I DID NOT follow the above instructions, so possibly this is the reason for the 160DegF IATs. I am machining out a billet oil cooler manifold so when I re-install Ill vacuum fill and bleed to the workshop procedure. Glad I am not alone with my findings

FahadB5

First Name
Fahad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Car idles at 111°C (231°F). Sure it drops at WOT, but after a while max I ever saw is <130°C (266°F) at Ambient temps of 22°C. Ofc I was monitoring not to exceed these temps.
Sponsored