2020 Supra Firesale?

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
I should mention 2 important things about my wife: 1) she’s a lawyer with Toyota Motor North America (thus I/we got a better than usual discount), and 2) she won’t let me post anything, and it behooves me to do what she says;)
Could we at least get pics of the wife? :D
Sponsored

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
Still only dealer cost (~$50k for the Premium) in most cases unless you have special perks (—I might know someone with those :)).

His wife may be high up enough and/or know someone that makes such things possible however, but $45k out the door is definitely a steep discount.
Yeah, this is definitely not standard employee pricing. Going in there with your little employee discount paper takes all other negotiation off the table as well, supposedly.

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
Shit, Its going to be interesting when the 21s start rolling on the lot...
Sure, and people will always want the next greatest, so then the 2022. But I like the exhaust system on the 2021 and the enhanced cooling but I am fine but yes, it will be interesting as well.

Kendogg

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Shit, Its going to be interesting when the 21s start rolling on the lot...
Hopefully Toyota starts offering rebates or special interest financing. If they don't, the dealerships will need to take a loss to move the leftover inventory. I don't see why anyone would buy a leftover 2020, when they will probably be able to get a 2021 for $3-4k off as well.

Coldskeet

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Gen 3 Raptor / A91 Ref. Blue Supra
Hopefully Toyota starts offering rebates or special interest financing. If they don't, the dealerships will need to take a loss to move the leftover inventory. I don't see why anyone would buy a leftover 2020, when they will probably be able to get a 2021 for $3-4k off as well.
Exactly, I don't forsee as many buyers for 2021's. Its one thing to have a mid cycle refresh a few years from the initial launch of the vehicle, but less than a year? Most supra enthusiasts or loyalists have already secured theirs, and I cant see too many of them jumping into the next model year so soon.

Jabba

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Hyundai Veloster N
Still only dealer cost (~$50k for the Premium) in most cases unless you have special perks (—I might know someone with those :)).

His wife may be high up enough and/or know someone that makes such things possible however, but $45k out the door is definitely a steep discount.
Your explanation is the same as my wife's friend who works for Toyota's Finance dept out here in Plano. Except he called bulls*** lol. But, you're right, connections matter.

For that guy you may know, with those connections. I might have to PAY ;) them a visit to talk about the GRMN lol.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
Hi all. i will be picking up my Tungsten tomorrow. I just thought I'd drop in to give some prospective buyers some info./ammo. I got a premium with the DAP and some other small options for 51.5K that had a MSRP of 56.2K. That price does not include taxes or doc. fee.

I think that the sales numbers are low and I think Toyota has quite some headwinds with this car unfortunately. A soft car market, the C8 crapping on their launch, then dealers not allowing test drives. That last one nearly got me as a few dealers turned me down for a drive. I'm not some kid mind you either.,and I drive a nice car and dress well so I don't look like some bum looking for a joyride. Anyway, got a dealer to test drive at and went with my 14 year old son. They were gracious enough to allow just myself and son to go for the drive. That was all it took. Great ride and so much fun. Dealers really need to let people get in these and experience them. I nearly didn't drive one at all due to the visibility issues I thought it had. After driving the Camaro SS 1LE and not feeling too bad about visibility I decided I needed to give the Supra a chance. So glad I did.

Almost forgot to mention that i used the news of the impending 21 to help get the deal. I don't know if it helped but I feel it did. I was happy with the car as it was but suggested they'll really have trouble moving these if a buyer is looking at the two side by side and can choose an extra 50hp or so you probably want to get the 20's sold..

Kendogg

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Hi all. i will be picking up my Tungsten tomorrow. I just thought I'd drop in to give some prospective buyers some info./ammo. I got a premium with the DAP and some other small options for 51.5K that had a MSRP of 56.2K. That price does not include taxes or doc. fee.

I think that the sales numbers are low and I think Toyota has quite some headwinds with this car unfortunately. A soft car market, the C8 crapping on their launch, then dealers not allowing test drives. That last one nearly got me as a few dealers turned me down for a drive. I'm not some kid mind you either.,and I drive a nice car and dress well so I don't look like some bum looking for a joyride. Anyway, got a dealer to test drive at and went with my 14 year old son. They were gracious enough to allow just myself and son to go for the drive. That was all it took. Great ride and so much fun. Dealers really need to let people get in these and experience them. I nearly didn't drive one at all due to the visibility issues I thought it had. After driving the Camaro SS 1LE and not feeling too bad about visibility I decided I needed to give the Supra a chance. So glad I did.

Almost forgot to mention that i used the news of the impending 21 to help get the deal. I don't know if it helped but I feel it did. I was happy with the car as it was but suggested they'll really have trouble moving these if a buyer is looking at the two side by side and can choose an extra 50hp or so you probably want to get the 20's sold..
I think one of the biggest factors, has been dealer addon and the treatment from these Toyota dealerships. We all know there was a pretty big initial hype when the Supra was released in July. IMO, a lot of the people paying the markup were the youtubers, or the ones that had financial gain off having the car first. They didn't mind paying $10k over msrp because they were making money from posting videos with the car. Now a lot of those first adopters, are selling the car off and making way for their C8 purchase.

The other initial buyers were the true fans and enthusiast who really wanted the car. They were the ones paying msrp or slightly above msrp. They didn't mind paying this because when compared to the others paying markup, it felt like they were getting a great deal. This still contributed to higher demand, and supply was low at that time. But these dealerships just saw nothing but greed with their Supra allocations. Not only did they not allow test drives, but they still tried to get markup or adm, useless and overpriced accessories, paint protection, etc. I contacted one of my local dealerships the other day. They still have 2 launch editions in stock and they want $98,000 for it.

But to me, the biggest issue, is the way these dealerships or salesman, even talk to you when you are interested in the car and trying to make a fair deal. They have this mentality that you are lucky to even talk to them about the Supra and how dare you not expect to pay msrp for one. Their treatment to potential customers, is what I think keeps many away. The car is a small two door sports car, it's a tough sale to begin with. The market is not large for these type of cars. Throw in dealership treatment and I see why people just stop bothering with shopping for them.

Legacy_etu...

Is there a reason why you decided to purchase the 2020, instead of getting the 2021's in a couple of months? It seems like you will probably be able to buy a 2021 for around the price of the 2020. And new cars tend to lose around $3k in value a year, for the first few years. So if you buy a 2020 and drive it off the lot, it will probably be worth around $3k less then if you wait a few months and drive a 2021 off the lot. Plus of course the changes they have made to the 2021's.
S5.png
S6.jpg

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
There's always the next best thing right around the corner. if you don't act you'll always be standing on the sidelines missing out on all the good stuff that's already out there. I'm totally happy with the car as it stands and as I said; used the news of the new car to improve my bargaining power.

If I feel the need for more power down the line, that's easy enough to add.

Kendogg

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
There's always the next best thing right around the corner. if you don't act you'll always be standing on the sidelines missing out on all the good stuff that's already out there. I'm totally happy with the car as it stands and as I said; used the news of the new car to improve my bargaining power.

If I feel the need for more power down the line, that's easy enough to add.
I agree about the next best thing, but it's not like it's mid summer time and the next MY is 8-10 months away. It's March and the MY21's should be on lots in June. Seem's like if anything, you will have even more leverage on a 2020 at that time. Or negotiate $3-4k off on a 2021, that will probably have around $3k more in value when used.

I don't think the additional power is much of a difference anyways. The 2020's were underrated. But the MY21's will have the 6-port exhaust manifold, revised heat management, new piston design, lower compression, additional suspension braces, suspension tuning and suspension revisions, etc. Seems like a worth while 3 month wait. There will be 2020's around at that time as well. Possible rebates and/or special interest financing on leftover 2020's.

phm14

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hakone 86, '18 Tundra 4x4, '15 4Runner Trail
Vehicle Showcase
When I search for "2020 Supra" on Autotrader, I get "1000+" ads. Nearly 100 of those are used/demo cars. Some are listed with big markups, by private sellers, with less than 100-200 miles, as if they expected to flip them for a profit. Oops. I hope once the dust settles, both Supra and the new gen 86 become strong, long term performers for Toyota....because I want them to keep making good sports cars.

Kendogg

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
When I search for "2020 Supra" on Autotrader, I get "1000+" ads. Nearly 100 of those are used/demo cars. Some are listed with big markups, by private sellers, with less than 100-200 miles, as if they expected to flip them for a profit. Oops. I hope once the dust settles, both Supra and the new gen 86 become strong, long term performers for Toyota....because I want them to keep making good sports cars.
Autotrader and Cars will only show 1000+ listings. If you search with cargurus, you will see 1600+ new 2020's. I quit looking at used at this point. All I find is like you said; Either private party sellers trying to recoup from overpaying, or dealerships trying to sell a used one at msrp pricing.

Searchneverend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Camaro, Camry, Corolla, Accord, Z350, Alfa Romeo 4C
Price from my local dealership here in VA for a Red Premium 3.0 with drive asst package. They have multiple cars with that price. If I can get one for less than 50k i'll go for it or i'll wait couple of more months

Detailed Pricing
MSRP
$56,115
Dealership Savings
-$4,239
Internet Price*
$51,876

Tripjammer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra Premium 3.0
Price from my local dealership here in VA for a Red Premium 3.0 with drive asst package. They have multiple cars with that price. If I can get one for less than 50k i'll go for it or i'll wait couple of more months

Detailed Pricing
MSRP
$56,115
Dealership Savings
-$4,239
Internet Price*
$51,876

I would not pay over $47K for new 2020 Supra Premium!

You will be able to get a 2021 Supra Premium for $50k-$52k in June or July.

eyeye96

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
I would not pay over $47K for new 2020 Supra Premium!

You will be able to get a 2021 Supra Premium for $50k-$52k in June or July.
I dont know, I have a feeling that they are going to price the 2021 at a higher price, maybe starting at 55k and then dealers are going to screw us over with markups and all kinds of additional fees. I think, 2021 is a good way to get a 2020 for a lower price. I am not able to find a single dealer in northerna california who is willing to go below 53k fr the 2020. If anyone know a good deal, please do let me know.
Sponsored