2020 Supra Transmission Chat - Manual, Dual Clutch, or Auto?

What kind of transmission are you hoping for?

• Manual

Votes: 72 68.6%
  • DCT

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • Auto

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still dreaming of the day I log in on here to find a spy picture of a 6 speed shift knob or clutch pedal....A man can dream.
Nottt...notgaaa....not gonna happen with the MKV Supra. DCT’s are much faster and less headaches with warranty claims....computer doesn’t let the driver f**k up the gears. Welcome to the next era of big brother control.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
Nottt...notgaaa....not gonna happen with the MKV Supra. DCT’s are much faster and less headaches with warranty claims....computer doesn’t let the driver f**k up the gears. Welcome to the next era of big brother control.
Sad but true.

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'14 Subaru BRZ, '12 BMW M3
Remember, assuming this runs the new S58 with twin turbos, then we can swap in a manual box from a 6th gen BMW 3-series.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You would do that to a brand new car?
My thoughts exactly. You'd probably lose your warranty #1. And who knows what your looking at $$$ to do this swap not to mention the wiring harness/ECU dilemma to try and make everything work like it came like that from the factory depending on what Toyota brings out on this car. Not saying it won't be possible but the work and money involved to do so may not be worth it to the majority until many years after the car has been released and prices have gone down. One might be better off going with a manual M2.

From the start there was no doubt the car was going to come in auto. The question has always been; will they offer a manual option? And for now that answer seems to be a NO!

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You would do that to a brand new car?
Hey, a guy did it to a 997.2 GT3 RS.

My thoughts exactly. You'd probably lose your warranty #1. And who knows what your looking at $$$ to do this swap not to mention the wiring harness/ECU dilemma to try and make everything work like it came like that from the factory depending on what Toyota brings out on this car. Not saying it won't be possible but the work and money involved to do so may not be worth it to the majority until many years after the car has been released and prices have gone down. One might be better off going with a manual M2.

From the start there was no doubt the car was going to come in auto. The question has always been; will they offer a manual option? And for now that answer seems to be a NO!
True. But the fact that it's a Supra, with a gated box...
I'm very sure Tada will add a manual, he's just pranking us for the time being.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
If you are “very sure” he will add a manual, this is contrary to everything we have been told so far. Share you share source of this? Is this your opinion or gut feeling, or do know someone at Toyota?

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Based on what Tada has said, I think I can infer that we likely will.
LMGTFY.

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Two of my best-liked Supra posts, hope you find something interesting!

From what I've collected from all over the interwebz and some of my own predictions (in bold in case you don't trust me):
It'll be running forced induction (1 or 2 turbos) on an inline-6, or at least the high-performance trim.
Pump about 420 bhp and 400 lb-ft of torque (estimated from Toyota's other V-6's)
Cost $45-50k at base price, with options pushing that over $60k (if I know Toyota correctly lol)
Front-engine, RWD drivetrain setup.
Paddle shifters and 7 gears on a dual-clutch automatic gearbox. There's also a good chance of a third pedal.
A center duck-tail spoiler (not an active wing after we've seen the spy shots).
Wear a front end more rounded than the FT-1 concept's (homage to the MKIV).
Have a good amount of weight-saving, so expect carbon fibre and Alcantara.
Maybe a targa top? Unlikely, though.

This is an expensive modern Toyota, so there's a touchscreen, blind spot monitoring, an HUD, and a backup camera.
Nifty touches like a dragster-style LED strip for shifting on the top of the steering wheel.
A voice control system co-developed with Amazon Alexa. (This is true for future Toyotas, but not sure if will be on the Supra.)

Hope you like this little overview of what might come!
And thanks for liking my post!
Tada-san is just hiding this fact away till the final reveal, hoping to surprise us fans.

Herewith, proof that we'll have a manual anyway.
The main market for the Supra is as a GT car, then as a tuner car. Tada-san said it himself: he looked to the masses and saw those two groups of buyers. So they'd put a dual-clutch for the GT buyers, and the manual for the many enthusiasts. Anything else would ruin the market for this car. Like, for example, if they offered no auto.
Or if they offered no manual.
And Toyota's a big company with a big money vault and a big reputation. Their reputation and their profit would be screwed if they didn't appeal to the big enthusiast market this car is supposed to appeal to.
Like if they didn't offer a manual.
Finally, this car is created under the Gazoo Racing name. Many of you may have heard the story of Hiromu Naruse and the LFA. It was supposed to be a pure driver's car, able to crush European sports cars into little blotches of aluminum and carbon fibre on their own tracks. The LFA was developed in conjunction with Gazoo Racing and raced under that name, which means that the Supra, also supposedly developed and sold under that name, should embody that same pure driving spirit.
Which means adding a manual.
Q.E.D.

By the way, I know the bashers will say the LFA didn't have a manual. But neither did many of its competitors. The Ferrari 599. The Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG. The Aston Martin DB9. The BMW M5. So there.

Last edited:

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
So before it was “very sure” now it is “likely”...what he said is open to interpretation for sure, but I think most agree it is highly unlikely...maybe in the future...

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You're probably right. But that's exactly the problem. The Supra is still very much camo-clad (the side mirrors are pure white body color in the latest spy shots!), Tada is on PR secrecy drugs, and development and updates have slowed.
If there's anything new we can find out now, it's piecing apart Tada's words and the latest spy shots.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
Not just Tada is on PR secrecy drugs, seems anyone with inside knowledge is tight lipped, someone posted here earlier, which was quickly taken down, that some people
have seen the production car, exterior and interior, but who knows if that is true...
Sponsored