2020 Supra Transmission Chat - Manual, Dual Clutch, or Auto?

What kind of transmission are you hoping for?

• Manual

Votes: 72 68.6%
  • DCT

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • Auto

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not sure if an article that came out a few months ago is 100% authentic. But Tada San said a sequential manual gearbox was being looked into for this car. Don't mind this or a true manual. But a DCT option would be nice as well.
Sponsored

Villa Jonny

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus [V8] RCF, Camry [V6] SE
Vehicle Showcase
Thought both would be available with manual but knowing that BMW is mostly in charge of everything but Design, I say dual clutch.

Last edited:

adprokid

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
--
Tada san said the car will be fun to drive and that they weren't chasing ring time (unlike GT-R). So I'm hoping a manual will be offered.

On a side note, does anyone know how much power the 86 manual tranny can handle?
The 86 manual transmission isn't safe around 300 WTQ

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
IMO the type of transmission is less important than where the transmission is located. For a mid-front powered rear-wheel-drive car, the the transmission MUST be at the rear axle.

See Ferrari FF, Ferrari F12, Ferrari California, Maserati GranTurismo, Aston Martin Vantage, Aston Martin Vanquish, Mercedes-AMG GT, Lexus LFA, Nissan GT-R, Chervorlet Corvette to name these.

Having the transmission right behind the engine is "cheap engineering", something BMW is well known for.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^With the LFA being one of those cars there is some hope Toyota may bring this to the table or so lets hope. Still so many questions and so little answers...

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
BMW insider has said a manual version will be offered.

Of course as for this car engines will be familiar,but the outputs will be exclusive and a manual will be available for the more enthusiastic driver. The Z5 will receive a four cylinder and a six cylinder but the output will be exclusive to this model. Therefore retaining the lightweight philosophy but for high performance. That is what the new Z cars will offer.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1278921

Last edited:

Rod.S

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FJ
I dont know if anyone has mentioned it yet but that is the BMW 3 series standard sport steering wheel. It's baffling to me what is going on with this mule that is supposedly the next Supra and why the whole interior is filled with BMW parts bin bits.

2016_bmw_3-series_steering_lt_516161_717.jpg

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
agreed with adprokid. both the FTHS and FT1 had a driver oriented interior. so it would seem logical they would do the same for production.

Last edited:

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Craigy made a good point in the other thread that the first interior pics we have from the prototype shows that there's no steering wheel paddle shifters. Could mean that we're looking at an automatic transmission and not a dual clutch transmission?

I think the MKV will definitely feature a manual transmission option, but what's less sure is if it'll get a dual clutch or an automatic transmission. Looking at Toyota and BMW's performance cars might give us a clue...

Lexus LC 500 --10 Speed Auto w/ paddle shifters
Lexus RC F -- 8 Speed Auto w/ paddle shifters
BMW M2 -- DCT
BMW M3/M4 -- DCT
BMW X5M/X6M -- 8 Speed Auto w/ paddle shifters

Trend seems to be if the Supra gets a Toyota transmission it'll most likely be an auto with paddles, especially considering there's no current Toyota/Lexus with a dual clutch. But, if it gets a BMW transmission there's at least a chance it might be dual clutch.
Given Toyota/Lexus's penchant for paddle shift autos and the leaked pics, it is still freaking me out that we won't get a proper transmission.

Thought both would be available with manual but knowing that BMW is mostly in charge of everything but Design, I say dual clutch.
+1, BMW's involvement gives me some hope here.

I dont know if anyone has mentioned it yet but that is the BMW 3 series standard sport steering wheel. It's baffling to me what is going on with this mule that is supposedly the next Supra and why the whole interior is filled with BMW parts bin bits.

Magna Steyr has the contract for both the Toyota and BMW sportscars which are confirmed on a joint platform, both being developed at Magna Steyr, who currently assembles many other BMWs, so it would make sense that the Toyota mule has a lot of stuff out of BMW's bin.

agreed with adprokid. both the FTHS and FT1 had a driver oriented interior. so it would seem logical they would do the same for production.
+Supra as adprokid illustrated for us. Early mule like this doesn't need to have a finished interior and anything will do.

But seemingly it would need buttons for the dual clutch.... though I suppose in theory they could do all their testing in automatic.

JohnnyTX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Celica GTS (05)
Hope you guys are right! But if that's not the actual Toyota Supra interior then why bother covering it up like that in the prototype?

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Hope you guys are right! But if that's not the actual Toyota Supra interior then why bother covering it up like that in the prototype?
I do see your point, but than one could also say why did they bother covering up the 86 test mule.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
worst case scenario they cheapen out and pull a 86/BRZ. but BMW interiors aren't that bad, would rather have a Bimmer interior vs a Subaru :p

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS

....because it isn't the Supra....that car is no doubt a BMW, I know the mule's camo shows lines that are super weird for a Bimmer but I don't have any belief that it has anything to do with Toyota.

As for what the mule car has, it ain't a stick, it is indeed an automatic. You can see in some of those interior shots the bottom of the gear selector is just a small hole which is indicative of the BMW iDrive lever.
Sponsored