2020 Supra Transmission Chat - Manual, Dual Clutch, or Auto?

What kind of transmission are you hoping for?

• Manual

Votes: 72 68.6%
  • DCT

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • Auto

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ Not really sure but the new Fort GT will come with a DCT I believe
Sponsored

910ps

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WRX
What's with the US companies not using dual clutch even in their top performance cars? Even the new Corvette Z06 and Mustang GT350R were announced with autos. Do they just have access to better autos than German/Japanese companies or they just cheaping out?
More like cheap and Americans haven't embraced DCT's the same way as with imports. The new Ford GT does have it but that's a almost $200K most likely.

<TC OFF>

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
More like cheap and Americans haven't embraced DCT's the same way as with imports. The new Ford GT does have it but that's a almost $200K most likely.
Guess when it comes to money is no object they end up acknowledging DCT is better over auto.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm hoping Toyota offers both a manual an DCT option. Even though I would go with a manual, I'm hoping they have a DCT option and not an 8 speed auto. They can really take advantage and use the DCT on all the Lexus F models as well.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
What's with the US companies not using dual clutch even in their top performance cars? Even the new Corvette Z06 and Mustang GT350R were announced with autos. Do they just have access to better autos than German/Japanese companies or they just cheaping out?
For what it's worth, Ford has embraced DCT in some of their economy offerings. As for the Mustang though, I would let them off the hook since it's not really something the target market demands, being more musclecar than sportscar, and being in the lowest rung of the sportscar market competing heavily on price. And like others have said above, Ford is planning a DCT in their new supercar.

General Motors, on the other hand, is clearly cheaping out. I understand not offering a DCT in the Camaro, but as far as the Corvette, or even the CTS-V, which they claim to be world-class sportscars, the lack of a DCT is inexcusable. Instead of building the best sportscar for the money, it's simply a marketing department exercise in thinking that most of their gray and white-haired clientele would never know the difference (granted, they probably don't). I would love to see what they put in their new mid-engine "Zora" concept.... while it should be expensive enough to justify a proper dual clutch, I would place my bets on it being manual-only, and will laugh if it gets a slushbox too.

daboss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
various
You guys see that the NSX has a 9 speed dual clutch?! At some point I'm thinking it's gotta be annoying to flip up and down through 8 gears no? You could leave it on autoshift but then might as well just get an auto.

If the Supra gets DCT hope that it's just a standard 6-7 gear.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
I've got a 7spd and I like all the gears :) In fact, on the highway I often wish my car had an 8th overdrive gear.

I see where you're coming from, but with as fast as these cars go and the amount of revs they produce there's a lot of room for more ratios.

Now if it shifted like a 18 wheeler then sure it'd be too much :D

AZ Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hoping for new Supra
You guys see that the NSX has a 9 speed dual clutch?! At some point I'm thinking it's gotta be annoying to flip up and down through 8 gears no? You could leave it on autoshift but then might as well just get an auto.

If the Supra gets DCT hope that it's just a standard 6-7 gear.
Actually I think the opposite. The more gears it has the more chance you'll have to use the paddles which = more engagement = more fun. Maybe would somewhat makes up for losing the clutch pedal to engage with.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ Possibly. More gears = shorter gears

Still though tapping a paddle will never replace that feeling of having to push the clutch in and using your hand to shift from one gear to another. Statistically the paddle shift will be better.

It's like writing a paper. You can either use a pencil and paper or use technology by using a PC with spell check etc. Both methods get the job done. The PC method is the best/easiest way to go. But some of us rather use the old school method.

Scino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 WRX Limited, 2015 GLA250 AMG Sport
I'm a fan of rowing my own gear, but I personally think at ~400hp, satisfaction of rowing your own gear is at its diminishing returns. BMW makes a really good DCT, why not modify theirs since Toyota already works with them on Supra project?

Hal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda s2000
Actually I think the opposite. The more gears it has the more chance you'll have to use the paddles which = more engagement = more fun. Maybe would somewhat makes up for losing the clutch pedal to engage with.
x2

I'm a fan of rowing my own gear, but I personally think at ~400hp, satisfaction of rowing your own gear is at its diminishing returns. BMW makes a really good DCT, why not modify theirs since Toyota already works with them on Supra project?
Why does HP matter?

kamran

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
scion frs
One of the advantages of DCT in high rpm high Hp car is the chance a mis-shift at red line is controlled. That's why most astute buyers of track oriented performance car do an ECU dump and look for over revs.

On the track, with high Hp and a non synchro tranny, unless you short shift, the chance of going from fourth gear down to third or from fifth down to fourth while you are already at redline is there for the more novice and intermediate drivers. So it's also a way of self preservation from self destruction.

A lot of guys are hamfisted and used to shoving the gear into place. In fact that's one of the aspects they enjoy doing!!!???:(

Just imagine going in third gear doing over 100 mph and you shove the manual gear into second, and you are pushing a 500+Hp drivetrain.... Not a happy ending!

I know when quick shifts came out for motorcycles, and I was one those purists who wanted to pull his own clutch to shift. But once I tried a fast/reliable/good quick shift, the thrill of keeping the throttle wide open while banging the gears, was just eye opening. Not to mention how much fast you could go around the track...

I have an open mind. I'll go for whatever makes me faster and safer, as much I love stick shifts and buy all my cars that way. But that was when I could do better myself managing my own gears...we will see! It's a new era and technology has to keep up with increasing Hp year after year...

Last edited:

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
There is one aspect that none of you are adressing and that is the transaxle gearbox

If the FT-1 doesn't have manual/DCT transaxle gearbox, it will just be half a job done. Any good front or even better mid-front engine sports car has its gearbox mounted at the rear axle, be it manual auto or DCT. Examples: Nissan GT-R, Chevrolet Corvette, Aston Martin Vantage, Aston Martin Vanquish, Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG, Mercedes-AMG GT, Maserati GranTurismo, Ferrari California, Ferrari F12, Lexus LFA, Alfa Romeo 8C, and back then even the familly sedan Alfa Romeo 75.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Why does HP matter?
Not really just horsepower but the speed of the cars in general.

The faster these cars get, the less time you really have to think about the nuances of a manual shift. Additionally, at higher acceleration the lag between gears stands out even more. In a slower car there is more time to enjoy the action of shifting, you're not going quick enough to notice the hindrance of the shift, and generally there is less speed/danger to worry about.

For example, coming into a turn hotter there is less time to downshift, more intensity and focus on braking, maneuvering the car, weight transfer, etc. For a typical enthusiast it is difficult to work in a few heel-toe downshifts in the middle of all of that.

Scino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 WRX Limited, 2015 GLA250 AMG Sport
Not really just horsepower but the speed of the cars in general.

The faster these cars get, the less time you really have to think about the nuances of a manual shift. Additionally, at higher acceleration the lag between gears stands out even more. In a slower car there is more time to enjoy the action of shifting, you're not going quick enough to notice the hindrance of the shift, and generally there is less speed/danger to worry about.

For example, coming into a turn hotter there is less time to downshift, more intensity and focus on braking, maneuvering the car, weight transfer, etc. For a typical enthusiast it is difficult to work in a few heel-toe downshifts in the middle of all of that.
Couldn't have said it better.

My 270hp WRX is already getting close to diminishing returns. I drove E92 M3, I would say, right around that power is the limit of manual shifting. One can definitely have 600hp stick car, but it's not fun anymore. Want real fun manual car, Miata and 86 twins are better choices than anything 400+hp.
Sponsored