2020 Supra Transmission Chat - Manual, Dual Clutch, or Auto?

What kind of transmission are you hoping for?

• Manual

Votes: 72 68.6%
  • DCT

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • Auto

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters

Blupra

First Name
Blu
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2 and Honda S2000 - both 6MT
Yeah, I recently talked to a little birdy that told me that the reason we aren't getting a manual is because of incompatibility with Toyota Safety Sense. And while BMW and Mazda both offer systems that will continue braking in a panic stop after the car stalls, Toyota was not happy with the results they had with their system in a manual trans. I personally feel like BMW and Mazda's systems work fine, but I don't know the intricacies of Toyota Safety Sense to know why their system was not as successful.

Regardless, it is hugely important to Toyota to have Safety Sense standardized across their lineup as they are trying to be early to market before the government mandates kick in and everyone has similar systems as standard. Unfortunately for us, this is a far higher priority than a manual transmission in a sports car, one that the board is already reluctant to put money into.

All this being said, money talks, and if we can show enough market support for a manual trans, then maybe we can change some minds at Toyota. Just don't get your hopes too high up... :confused:
:doh:
Sponsored

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
Yeah, I recently talked to a little birdy that told me that the reason we aren't getting a manual is because of incompatibility with Toyota Safety Sense. And while BMW and Mazda both offer systems that will continue braking in a panic stop after the car stalls, Toyota was not happy with the results they had with their system in a manual trans. I personally feel like BMW and Mazda's systems work fine, but I don't know the intricacies of Toyota Safety Sense to know why their system was not as successful.

Regardless, it is hugely important to Toyota to have Safety Sense standardized across their lineup as they are trying to be early to market before the government mandates kick in and everyone has similar systems as standard. Unfortunately for us, this is a far higher priority than a manual transmission in a sports car, one that the board is already reluctant to put money into.

All this being said, money talks, and if we can show enough market support for a manual trans, then maybe we can change some minds at Toyota. Just don't get your hopes too high up... :confused:
this seems to me like a software/calibration problem rather than something that would impede manual tranny use....i mean they do have TSS in other manual cars in their lineup, right? >_<

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete

that reasoning is so Toyota that I have no issue what so ever believing that as the actual reason... I really, REALLY hope the idiots in global sales didn't succeed with the plea for 8 speaker audio and 18-way adjustable seats or whatever they wanted to put in this car. the committee has already had too much input into this car vs the 86 and it shows.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah, basically Akio would create even more sports cars, but the board doesn't even want what they have now. To further complicate that, they didn't want to approve anything until they were shown the success of the 86.

Only after the 86 did they actually approve the Supra, and even now they put up with both in disdain. It's just how car companies are now sadly; almost all R&D aside from refreshes of say Camry, Sienna, etc is done on autonomous driving and alternative fuel.
The world is navigating towards a driveless experience and will do everything to eliminate any input from the driver, just like Iphones are becoming more autonomous and less manual work from the user. It's depressing to think about it where we'll get to the point the car drives itself and we can't control it anymore except for race track use or for a premium cost to get that freedom.

I couldn't care less for a manual honestly, but money talks and if all these keyboard warriors on reddit and other forums actually put their fucking money where their mouth is, then maybe a manual would be standard rather than an option or even an afterthought.

I want to be able to see toyota grow and have a rotation of sports car to pick from. but I feel the 90's toyota of mr2, supra, celica and altezza team has moved over to Lexus who's doing just that with the F line or attempting it. Once they reduce the absurd weight on these cars, they will be leaving the competition in the dust in styling and performance.

Or better yet, make a Lexus Supra like the LFA where it is uncompromised and all Toyota for 150k obviously. Or fix the RCF to be that exact Supra.

Sorry, but while I am a kid watching through colored lens from the Gran turismo 2 days and drove Toyotas religiously, seeing the distaste and lack of identity is concerning. The 86 brought me back to those youthful days, and want to see them go back with open arms.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
at least, if a committee-driven weight and bullshit gain occurs in the A90.... I hope they offer us an option (GT3) with just the go fast bits and enough luxuries to be relevant. auto lights, wipers, mirrors that angle down when in reverse, AC, sat nav, 6MT, turbina, w h o o s h i b o i, done.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
yeah, I think Tada will ensure we will get a version according to his vision even if that other stuff is an option or standard elsewhere.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
yeah, I think Tada will ensure we will get a version according to his vision even if that other stuff is an option or standard elsewhere.
hmm, hard to see Toyota forcing base models with the standard safety gear the other toyotas get, besides the 86 ofc, on top of offering a higher performance variant with no autonomous safety. im still hoping it will be like the 86 where toyota leaves their sports cars completely out of the standardization..

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Or more like, the one where the board will fuck it up so it doesn't happen again.

I'm glad for Tada, but we need him and Akio to be replicated in that board, to at least a third so even when people are at a disagreement, the urge tio have fun to drive cars are always there,

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
hmm, hard to see Toyota forcing base models with the standard safety gear the other toyotas get, besides the 86 ofc, on top of offering a higher performance variant with no autonomous safety. im still hoping it will be like the 86 where toyota leaves their sports cars completely out of the standardization..
I meant other stuff, like seats, audio, and other stuff I don't need; the safety items are here to stay.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
this seems to me like a software/calibration problem rather than something that would impede manual tranny use....i mean they do have TSS in other manual cars in their lineup, right? >_<
Perhaps not for much longer? Again, I have no details beyond that. :dunno:

that reasoning is so Toyota that I have no issue what so ever believing that as the actual reason... I really, REALLY hope the idiots in global sales didn't succeed with the plea for 8 speaker audio and 18-way adjustable seats or whatever they wanted to put in this car. the committee has already had too much input into this car vs the 86 and it shows.
Exactly, and the worst part is that the board is damn good at their job, and Akio can't argue with that. Toyota continues to grow at an impressive rate and with TNGA and the rest of the new tech revamping the lineups, the board doesn't want to deviate from their path.

meh if that is the case RIP curb weight..didn't realize the safety gear was a lock.
FWIW, the safety gear I'm talking about actually doesn't weigh anything. Just some cameras and sensors. The standard safety stuff like knee airbags and all that jazz are going to be in these cars regardless. The FRS/BRZ is actually an amazingly safe car and still is pretty light, so I don't think we'll have an issue with curb weight in regards to safety.

However, trillion-way adjustable seats, 1000-speaker audio, and glass roofs do add weight, and, like @A70TTR has said, the board sees that stuff as more important in terms of making this car marketable vs a manual trans.

Again, we'll see! This is all speculation really. We never really get the full picture of what goes does in Akio and Tada's world.

Last edited:

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
Yes its true, engineers have been correcting poorly chosen chassis configurations for years with iterative suspension development.

Or, you could just get it right from the get go (LFA).

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
FWIW, the safety gear I'm talking about actually doesn't weight anything. Just some cameras and sensors. The standard safety stuff like knee airbags and all that jazz are going to be in these cars regardless. The FRS/BRZ is actually an amazingly safe car and still is pretty light, so I don't think we'll have an issue with curb weight in regards to safety.

However, trillion-way adjustable seats, 1000-speaker audio, and glass roofs do add weight, and, like @A70TTR has said, the board sees that stuff as more important in terms of making this car marketable vs a manual trans.

Again, we'll see! This is all speculation really. We never really get the full picture of what goes does in Akio and Tada's world.
totally get that many of these items aren't going to weigh a ton but it is just the philosophy I'm concerned about. They went through the trouble of using a much shorter wheel base & having no backseats only to put in more equipment and having a heavier automated trans, etc...the curb weight being close to 86 was an interesting prospect but this sort of info seems to contradict this a bit.

turboflgrl

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra 6spd hardtop & 93 Miata
Understandable if I was buying a BMW or a Lexus. The Supra should be pure sportscar... not a luxe coupe with all these extras and unnecessary creature comforts. I wish I could see the data related to the demographic they’re hoping to sell the MKV to/who they are targeting. I feel like that would provide more insight into their decision making... speculative decisions of course.
Sponsored