2020 Supra Transmission Chat - Manual, Dual Clutch, or Auto?

What kind of transmission are you hoping for?

• Manual

Votes: 72 68.6%
  • DCT

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • Auto

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters

Nurburgring

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
911 Turbo, M3 E46, Turbocharged NA Miata, S2000, Mazda FC3S & FD3S, EP91 Starlet, EK9 Type R, EG6 Sir2, AE86, 3SGE AE86, Evo7RS, F3 race car
When Porsche introduced the 997 Mk2 in my country they had both options available, PDK or manual, with the PDK being more expensive. Result: Over 90% of owners chose the PDK. Now manuals are special order, and a real rarity.

From a financial perspective, a fast auto box makes a lot of sense for the Supra, no matter how much we hate that. IĀ“m sure Toyota did their homework through market research. Now letĀ“s just hope itĀ“s a real good box.
Sponsored

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
When Porsche introduced the 997 Mk2 in my country they had both options available, PDK or manual, with the PDK being more expensive. Result: Over 90% of owners chose the PDK. Now manuals are special order, and a real rarity.

From a financial perspective, a fast auto box makes a lot of sense for the Supra, no matter how much we hate that. IĀ“m sure Toyota did their homework through market research. Now letĀ“s just hope itĀ“s a real good box.
I think it's because PDK is actually VERY VERY VERY GOOD like I was super impressed! even thought I probably still op for their 7 speed Manual in the 911 etc. I still think PDK is a great choice, The MKV 's ZF 8 is a very proven transmission and it's in many cars that's currently on the road so it's highly capable.

I'm for one ok with an Auto box, as oppose to a Manual box.

A good example is the Jaguar F type, it's got some crappy manual box that just isn't up to standards imho,I don't feel like the manual in the M cars are that good either. If they're going to put a manual then put a good manual, like the Aisin in the 86 that's my take on it.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I've previously covered the reasons why it is unlikely why Getrag would ever deal with Toyota ever again. Hell would freeze over sooner than that...

stevesnj

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GT86
I think they had BMW make a fast revving I6 and to keep up with that a fast shifting auto like in the 86, which is very nice and quick but not up to the power handling of the I6, that would be mated maybe to an LFA type trans they called the "automated manual". Time will tell and anything said until final press release is just a guess but hey opinions are like a$$holes, everyones got one.

SPMS

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rc-F, 350z-TT, G2 Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
Lmmfao, way to keep it going guys lol....I said huh, because I felt (could totally wrong) you didn't really say anything, in all you said. Bmw didn't do anything other provide Toyota with a base engine/blueprint. Toyota developed it for the application from there. Then you went into the trans spill, and that's when you definitely lost me. You are right though about the opinions part. Guess we will see what happens from here on out.

stevesnj

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GT86
Lmmfao, way to keep it going guys lol....I said huh, because I felt (could totally wrong) you didn't really say anything, in all you said. Bmw didn't do anything other provide Toyota with a base engine/blueprint. Toyota developed it for the application from there. Then you went into the trans spill, and that's when you definitely lost me. You are right though about the opinions part. Guess we will see what happens from here on out.
I didn't say BMW JUST provided an engine for the car but is providing an engine to the specs Toyota want's, just like Subaru did with the 86 FA20 engine.

Just a guess that they may use a performance trans specific for the Supra not in the Z4. Similar to the LFA trans.

This is all just a guess based on no fact. A guess like others have provided on here.