Featured 2020 Toyota Supra is Stateside!!! + Canada

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by 2JZ-No-Sh*t, Jun 4, 2019.

1. XtremeMaC

XtremeMaC Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2013 GT86, 2020 Supra
    Liked:
    Engineer
    Say whaaat, tell me you're joking, otherwise teach me master, how? :spaz:

084runnerltd likes this.
  2. Supra93

Supra93 Moderator

First Name:
    Tommy
    Car(s):
    Supra & RX7
    Liked:
    Chef
    Garage Profiles:
  3. Kaizen

Kaizen Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Car(s):
    Lexus RC 350
    Liked:
    Mechanical Engineer
    Interesting thing I learned while in Japan. Talking to my tour guide for the Aichi plant, she says Toyota builds cars when customers buy them at Toyota dealers in Japan. It's like Tesla. Makes sense. For us USA customers, we don't necessarily get this "privilege". Dealerships in the states allocate a certain amount with different options, some may be from what customers ordered and put down deposits for, but the majority will be matched from most North American Toyota imports (Southeast region, west, etc.). My guide was dumbfounded to learn that USA dealerships mark the price up by so much, she thought it wasn't fair since it goes against Toyota's culture, but it's America, everyone looking for a dollar more lol. Dealerships are third party. Capitalism at it's finest lol.
    I always wondered why there would be new Toyotas sitting on a lot baking in the sun and nobody buying them. Then the situation arises where a few are sold the following year for a discounted price. Dealership allocating a little too much than they can sell. Japan doesn't do this. So for those who may not know, the dealerships in North America allocate how much they think they can move in a monthly, quarterly, yearly period. This means your special order isn't necessarily special. It's usually allocated from another region with the options you choose (rare case would be getting your options in from the next batch coming from overseas, which would take a while).

4. POS VETT

POS VETT Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Tom
    Car(s):
    '19 Encore Sport Touring, '18 Stinger GT, '11 370Z Sport, '8 Corvette Z06, '7 Matrix M Theory Edition, '5 325Xi Touring - on order '20 Supra Launch Edition black-on-red
    Liked:
    I'm not any master, but I work for a Toyota dealership, so I get more information than an average customer. Like I've mentioned in another thread, yesterday, one of the sales managers called and showed me the current Supra allocation (my LE) in the Dealer Daily. In the tracking section, it showed the dates when the ship left port and when it's expected to dock in the US. The actual delivery date to my dealership is still up in the air and predicted in about 4-6 weeks. The manager also helped me remove the add-on accessories (mats, first aid kit, PPF, etc) which I can get for deep discount after the purchase. Here is the short summary of the LE unit. If my calculation and assumption were correct, it would be number 1288 of 1500.

aoa4yxK.jpg

5. XtremeMaC

Car(s):
    2013 GT86, 2020 Supra
    Liked:
    Engineer
    Wow, awesome! Extremely happy for you!! Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

None of the dealers in Greater Detroit Area I went to (just last week), still "seemed" to not know much. At least didn't share, but they claimed that they don't even know what options it comes with to even price out something for me and your sheet clearly states the Driver Assist Package.... *sigh*

To be honest, I placed a deposit down at 2 dealers. Different deposit requirements, different stories, different markups... One even claimed, the more I put down, higher the chances of getting the car, which extremely ticked me off!! They said the deposits and requests goes to "Central" and they'll take care of it? Don't know if that's "dealer daily" that you spoke of...

Anyhow, I basically want the same exact config you have, except I'm inclining towards Absolute White. Wish you could help see if I even have my name in the system or getting stonewalled. :spaz:

6. Toyotawild

Toyotawild Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Zach
    Car(s):
    07 Toyota Tundra supercharged, 03 Acura cls-6
    Liked:
    I couldn't see red mirrors on a couple of those cars. Are they all launch edition?

7. POS VETT

First Name:
    Tom
    Car(s):
    '19 Encore Sport Touring, '18 Stinger GT, '11 370Z Sport, '8 Corvette Z06, '7 Matrix M Theory Edition, '5 325Xi Touring - on order '20 Supra Launch Edition black-on-red
    Liked:
    Dealer Daily is an internal database software. Access to it is regulated and limited; one dealer cannot see other dealers information in there.

Information on my LE just came to surface yesterday. Your dealers may have more information by now.

Wait list is made up by dealer individually, I believe it's not in Dealer Daily; a personnel just keeps a tally sheet. There isn't a "Central".

XtremeMaC likes this.
  8. 084runnerltd

084runnerltd Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jake
    Car(s):
    08 4Runner / 99’ Lexus LX470 / Deposit 2020 Supra
    Liked:
    Financial Advisor
    Garage Profiles:
    #23 Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019

Do you know what “premium launch” and “preferred owners portfolio” is? Of course yours is the launch edition, but wondering if premium launch is something else, or if it is just itemized on the sticker to indicate (a second time) that it is a LE car...

Also, besides mats, PPF, and first aid kit....any other add-ons I can expect to be upsold on?

Edit: I discovered that the “preferred owners portfolio” is a vinyl bag to put the owners manuals in. Lol

XtremeMaC likes this.
  9. A70TTR

A70TTR Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Tundra TRD Pro, ST205 GT4, JZA70 TT-R, Q50-RS
    Liked:
    This is facilitated by dealers for sure, but is more to do with Americans being all about instant gratification (they want their vehicle today!) and volume.

In Japan, you option the car exactly the way you want, pay, they build it, and you get it a few months later (sometimes faster). I've touched upon it before on here. Japan definitely is the way for anyone wanting a car tailored entirely to you, and they also used to have access to other options we don't have in NA, but this is getting more rare by the day.

10. A70TTR

A70TTR Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Tundra TRD Pro, ST205 GT4, JZA70 TT-R, Q50-RS
    Liked:
    A misunderstanding between me and one of the engineers. Disregard.

Matador likes this.
  11. POS VETT

First Name:
    Tom
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    Premium Launch is for LE units which are basically Premium trim with Launch Edition items.

There are numerous add-ons including the very expensive carbon fiber mirror caps. I didn't get a good look of the whole accessories list, but expect the usual ones.

084runnerltd likes this.
  12. tonyng92

tonyng92 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    E93 M3 F82 M4
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Are you referring to the TRD parts?

13. POS VETT

First Name:
    Tom
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    Not TRD parts. These are dealer-installed accessories.

14. Supra93

Supra93 Moderator

First Name:
    Tommy
    Car(s):
    Supra & RX7
    Liked:
    Chef
    Garage Profiles:
    Some are already at the dealership.

15. XtremeMaC