2021 Supra 2.0 as a daily? Rainy Conditions?

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Totally disagree, I enjoy dailying my Supra over my M2 I had, so much more nice to drive in and stupidly great MPG.
so when you need to drive your kids around, or need to pick up groceries and stuff from Home Depot or even get yardwork stuff or trees or plants. What do you do? Just wondering. Steep driveways, bad roads with potholes, and etc? Camping?
Sponsored

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
As much crap as I have given the 4 banger; imo, out of the two it makes more sense for a dd. It's cheaper and has more then enough power to get you to point A to B.

Now if Toyota can give it a manual and price it at $40k or less, I could see a number of 86 owners jumping aboard.

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
All of those things (kids, driveways, home maintenance) mean a 2-seat sports car is probably not a good choice for you as an only car. None of that means it's not a perfectly good daily-driver for someone in a different set of conditions.

The designation as a "daily-driver" usually means it can be operated as such with minimal issues for someone that otherwise accepts the limitations of the format. For example, I would not have considered my Lamborghini Countach or Ferrari 456 and Testarossa as candidates for a daily driver for many reasons. The Supra? Perfectly good daily.

piper1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'03 e85 Z4
Hello!

This is kind of a noob question but basically I was thinking of picking up a 2021 Supra. My local dealership has a 2.0 available.

The thing is I live in the pacific northwest where it rains quite a bit in the fall and winter. I was wondering how the car handles in the rain?

I've never owned a RWD car before but some of my friends have mentioned with RWD cars it could break lose or fish tail in wet conditions or like if I hit a pothole in the rain?

If you guys could give me your input or thoughts on this that would be great.

Thank you :)
Biggest thing to remember is the basic dynamics of the car. In slipper situations, rain, snow, ice, always remember you're pushing not pulling the car with the drive wheels to the ground. So pulling out of a snowy or icy subdivision where sub entry/exits aren't as clean as the main road you're pulling out on keep track of the better patches of road to how you throttle. I dailyed my E85 Z4 including Michigan winters for 5 years before starting the heavy mods on it, that included when I lowered it, recently picked up a 128 as a "daily" but I've had my MK3 in all Michigan conditions, a mustang eco boost as a leased daily. In 20 years of living in snowy Michigan only fwd car was for 6 years with my 99 avenger. Take your time and get used to how the car behaves, don't drive like an a$$hat when you're learning something new, settle into it and you'll do just fine with any rwd car. Wintery conditions I'm a firm believer in snow tires. When buying tires read the reviews and specs, if you're driving in a lot of rain, each company will list how well any particular tire will drive in wet, as well as braking conditions.

Most importantly drive it and have fun!

MCSeverino

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited
Yes you can daily drive it (I daily a 3.0), and yes you can use it wet weather with no issues.

I say this not as an attack on the OP, but as a general statement; if you cannot safely drive a 255hp RWD car in wet weather, you shouldn't be driving.

ogun228

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Turbulence gray Premium Supra
This car is a modern automobile with the latest safety and driver aids available. It comes standard with arguably one of the most praised and ubiquitous tires on all sorts of marques. Yet questioning its wet weather ability?

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
I daily drive a RWD and it has been fine. Luckily, the worst weather i have driven in was about 1.5 ins "winter slush' on the road and i switched to "ECO" mode and traction control, reduced speed and the rear end stayed put unless i "prodded" it to step out......could not resist.....had good all-weather tires.

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
.....also looking at the 2.0 as another daily driver.....

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Just leave the traction control on and you won't have to worry about a thing. The stability systems in the car are effective and quick to respond. Just drive it like a normal car. Plus the stock Michelins have great wet weather performance above 40F.

And the 2.0 is an open diff, I can confirm this 100%, I have asked and checked myself. You can still dori it, just have to rely on weight transfer. But that's off topic!

piper1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'03 e85 Z4
This car is a modern automobile with the latest safety and driver aids available. It comes standard with arguably one of the most praised and ubiquitous tires on all sorts of marques. Yet questioning its wet weather ability?
You never know in his area he might get enough rain that a Jeep with a snorkel is more beneficial for daily. There are certain areas around here that dip low enough that I avoid in rain due to flooding on the roads. Some of those areas I'm fine in the 128 but not in my z4. Also happens first real thaw if we've had a good snow fall just before.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/first-drives/a32453503/toyota-supra-four-cylinder-review/

That’s not an official source though. You may be right. I found a European Toyota news release that does mention an open diff. Confusing indeed.

https://newsroom.toyota.eu/2020-toyota-gr-supra-20-dpl/

So i think this is where its confusing people. From what i've managed to gathered, the 2.0 in the UK and other parts of the world have an open diff. Remember they got the car last year as a 2020 model.

The 2021 model for the US specifically gets a mechanical LSD. I cant really site my sources as its been from a hodgpodge of different sites and whatnot. But this is kinda what i've gathered and for me it sounds like the most likley.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
So i think this is where its confusing people. From what i've managed to gathered, the 2.0 in the UK and other parts of the world have an open diff. Remember they got the car last year as a 2020 model.
Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but...

U.S. 2020 = global 2019
U.S. 2021 = global 2020

In other words, same sh*t. But we just label it differently for some reason.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
It's not apples-to-apples but I drove my 3.0 Premium this morning. It was about 38 degrees and damp. Mine is not a daily driver so it isn't worth it for me to switch off the stock PSS tires, but the point is the same: if you drive this car appropriately for the conditions, you will be fine. This is not a car where you should be getting in trouble in the rain.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but...

U.S. 2020 = global 2019
U.S. 2021 = global 2020

In other words, same sh*t. But we just label it differently for some reason.
correct but its not a far stretch that some regions get certain parts that others dont regardless of MY
Sponsored