2024 Supra possible diff leak

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Wait until he sees the charge pipe. He is going to lose his mind, ask questions, dismiss the answers, then buy another Corvette.
He's still waiting for that New Balance IPO, which I heard could be in about two weeks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
Every kink, bend, crush, & dent in the pipes is there for a critical reason. Same reason for the unique and differing shapes, sizes, locations, and durometers of the rubber hangar bushings.

In testing, they put the car on a hydraulic shaker rig, and can simulate the most extreme forces and toughest terrain imaginable. Those changes to the pipe shape and mounting solutions are only there because that's where the pipe either made contact with items around it, and/or was a possible thermal concern under extreme heat testing. If the engineers spent any time or money changing the complexity and cost of these parts, it's because they found it absolutely necessary to do so.

Excellent video - thanks. I certainly agree with most of your statements, but it's hard for me to visualize the scrapes and kinks of that left exhaust pipe being done purposely.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Excellent video - thanks. I certainly agree with most of your statements, but it's hard for me to visualize the scrapes and kinks of that left exhaust pipe being done purposely.
Translation: "Thanks for showing me why, but I still disagree"

tumblr_95e42e690850ad84e30a097cf7b1c5eb_bb35c980_250.gif

Kujiwara

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra AT Stratosphere, GLI32, SVT Cobra
It's as simple as for example (just making numbers up for J29/G29 development)
1. Project manager and certification engineer dictates that no part of the vehicle may be below 60mm
2. Powertrain team determines 67mm exhaust pipe based on cross sectional area is insufficient for performance and strongly recommends 76mm exhaust pipe due to sufficient cross sectional area and readily available size for lower cost (but minimum requirement is cross sectional area based on 72mm round pipe)
3. Exhaust design engineer creates 76mm exhaust system
4. Multiple design engineers collaborate to work out best compromise between various requirements using pugh matrix, main focus includes cargo volume, working with predetermined hardpoints, control arm length and exhaust cross sectional area, we are one step closer to getting a supra
5. Design engineer finds 76mm exhaust hang down too low, but 72mm is a unique size not worth tooling investment, long meetings with manufacturing team, we are one step closer to getting a supra
6. Design team comes with revision 2 76mm exhaust with a crushed region that meets minimum ground clearance and still has sufficient cross sectional area, we are one step closer to getting a supra
7. Some company in Eastern European exhaust company wins the contract bid for 50000 exhaust systems by $10000 and has to make the design as affordable as possible so they dont use protection before crushing the pipe. Visually unpleasing but gets the job done and we are one step closer to getting a supra.
8. We get supras
9. We get confused Toyota technicians

And yes, most times even if you are 0.1mm below spec it means it is not meeting the spec and have to revise. I have been in the automotive engineering industry for years and it's a royal PITA to complete a system

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It's as simple as for example (just making numbers up for J29/G29 development)
1. Project manager and certification engineer dictates that no part of the vehicle may be below 60mm
2. Powertrain team determines 67mm exhaust pipe based on cross sectional area is insufficient for performance and strongly recommends 76mm exhaust pipe due to sufficient cross sectional area and readily available size for lower cost (but minimum requirement is cross sectional area based on 72mm round pipe)
3. Exhaust design engineer creates 76mm exhaust system
4. Multiple design engineers collaborate to work out best compromise between various requirements using pugh matrix, main focus includes cargo volume, working with predetermined hardpoints, control arm length and exhaust cross sectional area, we are one step closer to getting a supra
5. Design engineer finds 76mm exhaust hang down too low, but 72mm is a unique size not worth tooling investment, long meetings with manufacturing team, we are one step closer to getting a supra
6. Design team comes with revision 2 76mm exhaust with a crushed region that meets minimum ground clearance and still has sufficient cross sectional area, we are one step closer to getting a supra
7. Some company in Eastern European exhaust company wins the contract bid for 50000 exhaust systems by $10000 and has to make the design as affordable as possible so they dont use protection before crushing the pipe. Visually unpleasing but gets the job done and we are one step closer to getting a supra.
8. We get supras
9. We get confused Toyota technicians

And yes, most times even if you are 0.1mm below spec it means it is not meeting the spec and have to revise. I have been in the automotive engineering industry for years and it's a royal PITA to complete a system
Thanks for that detailed insight, Kuji. I have (somewhat briefly) worked for a company that made PVD-coated (in-house) stainless steel brake rotors, but the design aspect was much simpler than that of an exhaust system.
My question for you is:
Have you replaced your exhaust system? If so, what did you choose?

Kujiwara

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra AT Stratosphere, GLI32, SVT Cobra
Thanks for that detailed insight, Kuji. I have (somewhat briefly) worked for a company that made PVD-coated (in-house) stainless steel brake rotors, but the design aspect was much simpler than that of an exhaust system.
My question for you is:
I dont plan on changing the rear section anytime soon but I will be getting a Verus rear diffuser so will need something that clears with minimal cutting. Downpipe and tune first tbh, and that would increase the sound a bit as well. I also like the brushed finish tip, while it's still clean :p . I drove a loud VR6 car for 7 years so I could appreciate some peace now

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Catback is mainly for sound as the OEM system is large enough to handle good power. Only really need it when chasing bigger numbers, but I'm sure you will find some way to disagree.

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Catback is mainly for sound as the OEM system is large enough to handle good power. Only really need it when chasing bigger numbers, but I'm sure you will find some way to disagree.
Thanks!

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Is it fixed? Is it just the weep hole after all? Did you trade it in on a Corvette?
I had planned to take my car to a local BMW repair shop, last week, but not while the roads were wet from the passing storms. I told the mechanic that since I brought the car back from the dealership, I've seen a total of two drops on the garage floor, one after two to three 30-45 minute drives. After seeing the first drop, I backed up my car on Rhino ramps and posted some photos of what I saw. Certainly, there is much less fluid coming out compared to what I saw at 700 miles. There is now a bit over 900 miles on the odo.
The BMW mechanic did question whether the shafts' diff seals are the same as those in the Z4. For now, he suggested keeping an eye on the drips. I will order a set of stubby hex wrenches and lift pads, soon.

Rensuhlo

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Guys on the internet are not smarter than an eNgInEeR
Sponsored