Advertisement

4 Cylinder B48 Supra vs the Straight Six B58

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by Islindur, Feb 3, 2019.

?

What are you getting?

1. 2.0 B48

15.6%
  2. 3.0 B58

84.4%
  1. Dannyvandelft

Dannyvandelft Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Danny
    Car(s):
    Ordered A91 edition Supra
    Liked:
    If the Supra was as exclusive as the GT-R, It would be $100k+ and most of us wouldn't be able to afford her.
    Toyota learned from the NSX "failure" and went the other way. And I'm glad they did. Toyota could've called the LFA the Supra too. So exclusive you'll never see one driving on the road.

supraboi and Waferz like this.
  2. 2JZ-No-Sh*t

2JZ-No-Sh*t Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    My feet
    Liked:
    Don't worry too much. The production rate for the 4 banger is pretty low. I'll be surprised if Toyota reaches their targeted sales with that model. A bunch of people are already predicting it will be pulled from the U.S. after a year or two because of low interest and lackluster sales.

Waferz likes this.
  3. YungMercureal

YungMercureal Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2020 3.0 Premium Supra - Nitro Yellow
    Liked:
    I think it's worth noting though that the GTR may not have held its value had Nissan not significantly raised the price over the years. I really don't think the 2.0 is going to really do anything extra to the price of the 3.0. I tend to somewhat agree though that having too many trim levels can dilute the model range, which the Challenger and Camaro are the worst offenders for.

supraboi and Waferz like this.
  4. MA617M

MA617M Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    lots
    Liked:
    Engineer
    You have the remember the GTR was a modified skyline for many many many years.

Plus the Supra has (in all markets since hte A70) had various trim levels - it just so happened they were all sixes.

The current emissions laws will not allow a decent-output NA six, hence the turbo four. You just have to think of it as the 7MGE A70 (or 1G lol) or the 2JZGE A80.

I wish it was a six - as all Supras should have inline sixes - but the world is a very, very different place to the 80s and 90s now.

supraboi, Waferz and hanswurst24 like this.
  5. ZDan

ZDan Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Car(s):
    '17 BRZ PP, '11 Cayman
    Liked:
    The existence of a lower-performance 4-cylinder model doesn't make the 6-cylinder any less of a car, and it might allow it to continue to exist...
    I don't know of anyone who thinks that the MkIV turbo is less valuable or less desirable because the NA model existed. I don't think previous GT-Rs are "devalued" or less desirable because they were simply hopped-up Skylines.
    For domestics, the garden-variety 1st gen 6-cylinder Mustang doesn't make GT350s less valuable.
    Nor do 6-cylinder 1969 Camaros devalue aluminum big-block ZL1s
    etc. etc. etc...
    I think it's a great idea to sell a lower-spec version for less $$$ as not everyone needs gonzo horsepower potential in a roadgoing sports car.

I've owned a couple of RX-7s (FC 'vert and mega LS2/LS3 FD), but I *always* thought there shoulda been a lower-spec FD available when it was on the market, either non-turbo or (sacrilege!) piston-engine version. Insisting on rotary for Mazda's higher-performing fixed-roof sports car means it doesn't exist any more :'(

Islindur and tadda like this.
  6. Waferz

Waferz Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Car(s):
    2020 supra launch edition, 1993 rx7
    Liked:
    The rx line could never have been a piston car, RX stands for rotary experiment. I still own an FD with a rotary and it will forever be one of my favorite cars so I have to disagree on this one. I firmly believe that if not for stricter emissions we would have already seen an RX-9. The N/A supra still has a 2JZ so I also have to disagree on that. I do get your point though.

7. Dannyvandelft

Dannyvandelft Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Danny
    Car(s):
    Ordered A91 edition Supra
    Liked:
    100% yes. EPA killed the rotary. In fact, if you connect the taillights and throw a 350 horsepower rotary in front, the Supra would be a perfect modern day FD lol.

KahnBB6, supraboi and Waferz like this.
  8. ZDan

ZDan Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Car(s):
    '17 BRZ PP, '11 Cayman
    Liked:
    I never said it had to be named "RX". Coulda called it something else like "QX-7". Or "Franklin". But then again the "experimental" part of the RX name wasn't true either anyway! Wait, maybe it actually was...

FD is one of my favorite cars also, but obviously I had no qualms about dropping a piston-engine in one ;)
    787B is one of my favorite race cars too...

Mazda should certainly build a higher-performance fixed-roof coupe sports car, whatever they call it. Piston engine one for sure, possibly optional rotary as well.
    And I felt strongly then and now that they shoulda sold a piston-engine version of the FD, and they should also have sold an NA rotary Miata, that would have been sick! Ah well....

Still don't understand the hate on the idea of the 4-cylinder Supra. You don't like it, you don't have to buy it. It doesn't reduce what the 6-cylinder model is one iota.

Waferz likes this.
  9. ZDan

ZDan Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Car(s):
    '17 BRZ PP, '11 Cayman
    Liked:
    WAY too heavy to be a modern FD...

KahnBB6 and 2JZ-No-Sh*t like this.
  10. 2JZ-No-Sh*t

2JZ-No-Sh*t Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    My feet
    Liked:
    That maybe true for other parts of the world like Japan were the break down is 60% 3.0 and 40% 2.0. In the case of the U.S. the 20% projection for the 2.0 is nothing. Honestly, I'll be quite surprised if they will come anywhere near that. Most of our past polls show 10%. The one on this thread is the highest, and that was before the the packaging and pricing of $43k was announced... In the U.S. I don't believe the base price tag of $50k was the issue. I think the reason for the lower than expected sale figures was the high markups by the stealerships.

Yup, you're right. It's not for me and I don't plan on getting one. Personally, I don't like the idea, but I'm not going to whine about it in every thread. There is no use in crying over spilled milk; it is what it is. Get over it people, but I will say again I think real world sales will be abysmal and it will get the axed so the "problem" will end up fixing itself.

Summing up some views I have seen from various online platforms.

It's suppose to be the flagship, so Toyota shouldn't have watered it down.
    Supra has always been I6, could have at least called the 4 cyl a Celica.
    Even Tada said the Supra must have an I6. So does that mean the 4 cyl isn't a real Supra?

11. supraboi

supraboi Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Vu
    Car(s):
    GS300
    Liked:
    ;)

That would have been awesome and would fulfill the promise by Toyota of the "3 brothers". Not to mention a whole lot cheaper and faster than the rumor mill new MR2.

12. vb22

vb22 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    SC300
    Liked:
    @ZDan are you still planning on buying a 2.0? I think some people are saying some dealers are getting the leftover 2020s go for as low as $47k.

13. gymratter

gymratter Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Silver Spur & F-150
    Liked:
    in ichitaka05's interview it sounds like Tada pretty much concedes that it's a Celica successor but all the necessary changes they wanted to make was scrapped due to time and cost. either way i think people are making too big of a deal over this. if it's a good car it will sell, if not RIP.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/supramkv-interview-with-tada-san-on-2021-gr-supra.3445/

14. ZDan

ZDan Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Car(s):
    '17 BRZ PP, '11 Cayman
    Liked:
    $43k is about the max I'd go for 2.0 with lsd and Brembos. $43k without those, not as interested.
    Not really thinking about getting 3.0. Too much mass, too many $$$...
    Experience I had with the 550hp FD kinda informed me that I don't really need killer power/weight. I broke a drive shaft at the end of day 1 at Palmer Motorsports Park a couple of years ago, and for day 2 a friend let me drive his 318ti with about 1/4 the horsepower. As much as I love going fast, I honestly had as much fun in the 318, I got to play with the other cars a lot more!

15. gymratter

gymratter Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Silver Spur & F-150
    Liked:
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-comparison-tests/a32718030/supra-comparison/