A90 Supra life cycle: Incremental updates? New variants coming? What's next?

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra

Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
I donā€™t actually think power is a big need for this Supra.
Excuse me? I don't think I heard that right. Maybe it's all the noise from the catless down pipes, JB4s being sold and resold, and all the planes flying to Finland.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Iā€™m referring to the BMW Z4 that the Supra is based off of, not the Nissan Z. The BMW does not come with a manual.
Sorry typo the Z4 does come with a manual in markets outside of the US. Here's a video of someone driving one.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Excuse me? I don't think I heard that right. Maybe it's all the noise from the catless down pipes, JB4s being sold and resold, and all the planes flying to Finland.
Need and wants are two different things. Out of the box it's pretty quick. Do I need more power for street driving no, do I want more power for canyon runs and spirited driving of course.

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
Ha. I was really only saying that if I was going to list the things that I personally would want, power is t the top thing. I mean stock itā€™ll do 0-60 in under 4 seconds, not exactly slow. I am one of those people that would rather take weight out of a vehicle for more performance then just adding power. Weight reductions help all aspects where as just adding power can sometimes upset the cars balance. But I do get the appeal, and itā€™s not like I would complain about a bump in power, I was really just saying that the chances of that is rather small.

GRMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Too many
Ha. I was really only saying that if I was going to list the things that I personally would want, power is t the top thing. I mean stock itā€™ll do 0-60 in under 4 seconds, not exactly slow. I am one of those people that would rather take weight out of a vehicle for more performance then just adding power. Weight reductions help all aspects where as just adding power can sometimes upset the cars balance. But I do get the appeal, and itā€™s not like I would complain about a bump in power, I was really just saying that the chances of that is rather small.
The chance of a weight reduction is at least 10 times smaller than a power bump šŸ˜‚

Supra needs a power bump cause many people use it as a weekend car to track, touge, dragā€¦etc

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
Thereā€™s already been a B58 update announced/released. Itā€™s minor - definitely not M2 power levels. I think HP or TQ actually decreased slightly. I bet that if the Supraā€™s powertrain is updated, it gets that. Special colors and vinyl and A9x designations are my bet.
It hasn't decreased.

The base B58 went from 335 to 375.

The upgraded B58 is supposed to go from 382 to well over 400.

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
It hasn't decreased.

The base B58 went from 335 to 375.

The upgraded B58 is supposed to go from 382 to well over 400.
Source? (Genuinely curious.)

Iā€™m referencing this post (https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901686) and while there may be higher output B58s, I havenā€™t seen those find their way into models that share similarities with the Supra. Also, not sure on the cost of ZFs, but I imagine they canā€™t bump the HP/TQ up too high without having to upgrade the trans which adds cost. (Yes, I know the 8HP51 can handle more, but Iā€™m referring to how OEMs have paired up the different ZF transmissions based on engine output.)

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
Source? (Genuinely curious.)

Iā€™m referencing this post (https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901686) and while there may be higher output B58s, I havenā€™t seen those find their way into models that share similarities with the Supra. Also, not sure on the cost of ZFs, but I imagine they canā€™t bump the HP/TQ up too high without having to upgrade the trans which adds cost. (Yes, I know the 8HP51 can handle more, but Iā€™m referring to how OEMs have paired up the different ZF transmissions based on engine output.)
No worries bud. Not offended at all. :^)

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/03/b...-new-540i-740i-and-others-with-around-370-hp/

Also the transmission comfortably handles just over 600 lb-ft of torque without any problems. Go any higher though, and you'll have some slippage.

delta136

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Eagerly awaiting news of a refreshed 2024 Supra

if not, I might get the 2024 340i. It has way more tech and this new car will be used as a DD. I'm going to be so sad if I don't choose the Supra because I've wanted one since 2020 and have been waiting for a refresh

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Eagerly awaiting news of a refreshed 2024 Supra

if not, I might get the 2024 340i. It has way more tech and this new car will be used as a DD. I'm going to be so sad if I don't choose the Supra because I've wanted one since 2020 and have been waiting for a refresh
You waited from basically the start for a refresh that wasnt guaranteed?? So you don't really want the car? If you did you would have got it by now.
Sponsored