A90 Supra life cycle: Incremental updates? New variants coming? What's next?

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
A: Get over it
B: I could prove in a court of law that it wasn't an outright fabrication. It may very well be misleading, but you'd lose the argument regarding a black & white, malicious lie. Toyota knows how to say things and still be well within the legal parameters of 'truthful corporate statements.'
Case dismissed.

gavelwhig.gif
šŸ™„ Tell me you're a fanboy without telling me you're a fanboy.
Sponsored

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
šŸ™„ Tell me you're a fanboy without telling me you're a fanboy.
Tell me you're just butthurt about not receiving your car yet, without telling me you're just butthurt about not receiving your car yet.

IT'S WORTH IT, I PROMISE

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Nice one. You keep believing lol.
Believing what, that the fake vents aren't fake and they aren't just built in for style? Of course they are.

The bigger question, is where's your car? I see a few people in the Australia thread are indicating their cars have landed at port. Do you know if yours is one of them?

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Believing what, that the fake vents aren't fake and they aren't just built in for style? Of course they are.

The bigger question, is where's your car? I see a few people in the Australia thread are indicating their cars have landed at port. Do you know if yours is one of them?
My car? Who knows.. waiting on build date still. My spec is pretty unique in that it is a Yellow manual GTS (I think that's equivalent to a US premium?) but with the optional (here) Alcantara seats.

It's been a long wait, but for this part of the world it isn't altogether unusual for these cars. Some dealers have started quoting 24 months from order to delivery!

MoTeC_R

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 & 2022 A91-CF
My car? Who knows.. waiting on build date still. My spec is pretty unique in that it is a Yellow manual GTS (I think that's equivalent to a US premium?) but with the optional (here) Alcantara seats.

It's been a long wait, but for this part of the world it isn't altogether unusual for these cars. Some dealers have started quoting 24 months from order to delivery!
Itā€™s sad itā€™s so hard to get a Supra there. Toyota definitely caters to the US market since thatā€™s where the majority of their customer base is, but even here itā€™s difficult to get exactly what you want. For example when I was hunting to the A91-CF in AZ white, getting the car for the color, price, and willing to sell to me vs a deposit or existing customer that didnā€™t want the car delivered from out of state etc, it was a tall task and I had to really work to get the car I wanted exactly. I could have saved a few thousand accepting a yellow or phantom car but thatā€™s not exactly what I wanted. In the end Iā€™m glad I paid the money to get the exact car and didnā€™t settle for a color I wouldnā€™t have been as happy with or at least would have had second thoughts about after investing all that money a couple grand wasnā€™t worth saving to compromise to me.

Hopefully you get yours sooner than later, but at this stage seems like it will be a 2024MY for you, which isnā€™t all bad for waiting either other than the fact the prices just keep going up every year.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Itā€™s sad itā€™s so hard to get a Supra there. Toyota definitely caters to the US market since thatā€™s where the majority of their customer base is, but even here itā€™s difficult to get exactly what you want. For example when I was hunting to the A91-CF in AZ white, getting the car for the color, price, and willing to sell to me vs a deposit or existing customer that didnā€™t want the car delivered from out of state etc, it was a tall task and I had to really work to get the car I wanted exactly. I could have saved a few thousand accepting a yellow or phantom car but thatā€™s not exactly what I wanted. In the end Iā€™m glad I paid the money to get the exact car and didnā€™t settle for a color I wouldnā€™t have been as happy with or at least would have had second thoughts about after investing all that money a couple grand wasnā€™t worth saving to compromise to me.

Hopefully you get yours sooner than later, but at this stage seems like it will be a 2024MY for you, which isnā€™t all bad for waiting either other than the fact the prices just keep going up every year.
I've been offered a few cars in colours/trims I'm not interested in and yes, for the amount of money I'm putting down, I want what I want - If I wanted a compromise I'd look at a new Type R - Although official wait times here for those are 24 months minimum! As for when mine will be delivered, I'm actually tipping it will be one of the last MY23s.. just to piss me off. šŸ˜…

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
So letā€™s assume the only way there will be an engine upgrade is if BMW approves a similar upgrade to their Z roadster that the Supra is based off of. Which could happen, but probably not likely. Even if it did, and letā€™s say it has M2 power of 450+hp, it almost certainly will be an auto only affair. The current manual can not handle that amount of power and be reliable. BMW wonā€™t be putting a manual in their Z, so itā€™s not like they will share costs in making that happen. Because of that, I feel like the only ā€œupgradeā€ in the powertrain will be with the current engine getting a tune or different exhaust, maybe push the power up to en even 400hp and able to keep the manual on offer.

I donā€™t actually think power is a big need for this Supra. I would just be happy with a few more colour options inside and out, and maybe make a light weight version of the 3.0. Take out the power and heated seats and put some nice manual premium fabric seats, take away some sound deadening, lower it a smidge, out 18 inch (same width) lower weight rims, maybe a few little aluminum bits and pieces, light weight driveshaft (carbon fiber maybe). Shave maybe 150lbs off, making it just under 3,200 pounds for the manual. Itā€™ll be faster, more nimble, easier to make happen on the assembly line, and more cost effective. Wear items will last longer (brakes, suspension, tires) and fuel economy would get a little better.

Thatā€™s what I would do, maybe make a few more than the special addition that they made for 23, but make it cost around $5k more. I would be all over this.

trev_rs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium, '17 Abarth 124 Spider
Guys im planning on waiting on a 2025 3.0 premium am i safe to assume they will still make it by then?
Nothing is safe in the automotive world. I suspect there will be very little 2025s. The real question is whether or not Toyota will go out with a bang or whether it will fade into obscurity like the 4th and 5th year MR-S/MR2 Spyder did.

Domestic manufacturers have pretty much dumped all sports cars after this year.

Bigboss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 civic FK7 sport, supra 3.0 premium
Nothing is safe in the automotive world. I suspect there will be very little 2025s. The real question is whether or not Toyota will go out with a bang or whether it will fade into obscurity like the 4th and 5th year MR-S/MR2 Spyder did.

Domestic manufacturers have pretty much dumped all sports cars after this year.
My biggest fear is missing out on this car, but as of now its best for me financially to wait til then and final models years are always best to get with whatever last updates they do the car. As of now they always changing the car every year never seen so much yearly changes on a single generation

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
So letā€™s assume the only way there will be an engine upgrade is if BMW approves a similar upgrade to their Z roadster that the Supra is based off of. Which could happen, but probably not likely. Even if it did, and letā€™s say it has M2 power of 450+hp, it almost certainly will be an auto only affair.

Thereā€™s already been a B58 update announced/released. Itā€™s minor - definitely not M2 power levels. I think HP or TQ actually decreased slightly. I bet that if the Supraā€™s powertrain is updated, it gets that. Special colors and vinyl and A9x designations are my bet.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
So letā€™s assume the only way there will be an engine upgrade is if BMW approves a similar upgrade to their Z roadster that the Supra is based off of. Which could happen, but probably not likely. Even if it did, and letā€™s say it has M2 power of 450+hp, it almost certainly will be an auto only affair. The current manual can not handle that amount of power and be reliable. BMW wonā€™t be putting a manual in their Z, so itā€™s not like they will share costs in making that happen. Because of that, I feel like the only ā€œupgradeā€ in the powertrain will be with the current engine getting a tune or different exhaust, maybe push the power up to en even 400hp and able to keep the manual on offer.

I donā€™t actually think power is a big need for this Supra. I would just be happy with a few more colour options inside and out, and maybe make a light weight version of the 3.0. Take out the power and heated seats and put some nice manual premium fabric seats, take away some sound deadening, lower it a smidge, out 18 inch (same width) lower weight rims, maybe a few little aluminum bits and pieces, light weight driveshaft (carbon fiber maybe). Shave maybe 150lbs off, making it just under 3,200 pounds for the manual. Itā€™ll be faster, more nimble, easier to make happen on the assembly line, and more cost effective. Wear items will last longer (brakes, suspension, tires) and fuel economy would get a little better.

Thatā€™s what I would do, maybe make a few more than the special addition that they made for 23, but make it cost around $5k more. I would be all over this.
The Z4 does have a manual option. Or do you mean one to match the power upgrade if there is one.

Edit: I guess NA doesn't have it, Japan and Europe do.

Last edited:

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5

One of the few cars that Iā€™m truly living in the moment and having a blast šŸ’Ø I get the question so much at the track ā€œIs that a Supra?ā€, I bought a couple of these:

https://revlimitshop.com/collections/frontpage

Yes there will be different iterations. Mine is a 2022. Catless and insanely loud AWE track exhaust. She absolutely flys around the track. Iā€™m really trying to think what more could I wantā€¦ @johnnyskids is probably the closest to what Iā€™d be interested in. But even then, I can do those things to mine šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø.

Me and a couple of other guys recently got invited to a huge BMW track group. These guys are really digging the Supras. Why not embrace the BMW DNA šŸ§¬ in ours? Thereā€™s a lot of fast (and winning) Supras out there on track šŸ˜‰

My biggest worry is staying off the track between May and September down here in FloRida. Iā€™m supposed to do my other hobbies during that time. Warning āš  to those who actually use their free track day with this thing. Itā€™s addictive as hell šŸ¤«

Edit: I also have a custom Jesse (1FastSupra) JB4 piggyback tune for in town insane power. Itā€™s like owning two different cars. This is not my primary car. But for a play toy, she hits soooooo many fun factor buttons.

Last edited:

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
The Z does have a manual option. Or do you mean one to match the power upgrade if there is one.

Edit: I guess NA doesn't have it, Japan and Europe do.
Iā€™m referring to the BMW Z4 that the Supra is based off of, not the Nissan Z. The BMW does not come with a manual.
Sponsored