About to pull the trigger....MKV or MKIV or GTR?

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
What do you guys think? I won’t disclose my budget, but it’s the final sports car before marriage this summer.

MKV:
- New
- Looks great
- New and modern tech
- Brand new for under $60k
- So far, excellent aftermarket support

MKIV:
- Massive aftermarket support
- Excellent build quality
- 2JZ
- Good resale value
- Manual option

R35 GTR:
- Very fast out of the box
- Used for ~$60k
- AWD
- Huge aftermarket support for modern platform
- Big name in tuning scene

I recently took on a new build (1972 FJ40 LandCruiser) so 4x4...check, I have a built 4Runner for everyday use so daily...check, a 2019 STI for weekend and daily fun so fun weekend...check, and now I need an all out track monster. Need honest non-biased opinions.
Sponsored

Last edited:

King OS

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV
Personally i'd choose the Supra MKV. I've driven the GTR, and for daily uses, I prefer the Supra MKV. I say that because the MKV just really fits the bill in terms of a perfect daily and the GTR is pretty clunky when it comes to low speed driving; plus, I prefer the infotainment on the MKV just because it's the iDrive. And I prefer the BMW infotainment than the camry's. That being said, having owned the MKV for about 2 weeks now coming from a IS300, which also had the 2JZ I can say that the MKV wouldn't disappoint you, and the aftermarket is growing by the month. Every week there is either a downpipe, exhaust, or widebody being released. I wouldn't be surprised if the MKV's aftermarket grows passed the MKIVs.

OP
OP
PerformanceSound

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Personally i'd choose the Supra MKV. I've driven the GTR, and for daily uses, I prefer the Supra MKV. I say that because the MKV just really fits the bill in terms of a perfect daily and the GTR is pretty clunky when it comes to low speed driving; plus, I prefer the infotainment on the MKV just because it's the iDrive. And I prefer the BMW infotainment than the camry's. That being said, having owned the MKV for about 2 weeks now coming from a IS300, which also had the 2JZ I can say that the MKV wouldn't disappoint you, and the aftermarket is growing by the month. Every week there is either a downpipe, exhaust, or widebody being released. I wouldn't be surprised if the MKV's aftermarket grows passed the MKIVs.
Thanks for your honest opinion! Yeah, I'm leaning towards the MKV too...but all three have their strengths. I’m most hesitant on the MKIV, not because I don’t like it or anything, but because of the age of the platform and OEM parts availability. The GTR is clunky at low speeds I noticed that too...the GR6 is not very smooth, but you can definitely feel it’s robustness if that makes sense. The MKV I'm liking more and more everyday, and seems like alot of tuners are already onboard.

I have contacted three dealers for a MKV, GTR, and MKIV. The GTR and MKV are similarly priced, and the MKIV is the “cheaper” of the three...only because of it’s mileage.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
If your goal is to break track records, I don't think either Supra can, in stock form, match GTR's down force, handling and software gizmos. Is it outdated, somewhat, but still holds it Godzilla capability and looks. Slightly harder to power slide.

MKIV, you'll either buy tuned/modified or do it yourself to make it track capable and fun. Only MT option. Outdated inside. Timeless design. You can play around for sure, but your marriage may take a hit :eek: do you like turbo lag?

MKV, to be fair you're in a MKV forum. Chances are, as you also stated, you're leaning towards it. Brand new, few good tuning options, many more to come. Lots of potential. Less muscular looks out of the box vs GTR, but sexy styling. No rear seat.
As you're open to used and new: M2, Porsches, R8, F-Type, etc.
My 2 cents to confuse you more. Lol

My choice was clear, but a gamble. For you it's not a gamble. Test drive gtr/mkv...

King OS

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV
Thanks for your honest opinion! Yeah, I'm leaning towards the MKV too...but all three have their strengths. I’m most hesitant on the MKIV, not because I don’t like it or anything, but because of the age of the platform and OEM parts availability. The GTR is clunky at low speeds I noticed that too...the GR6 is not very smooth, but you can definitely feel it’s robustness if that makes sense. The MKV I'm liking more and more everyday, and seems like alot of tuners are already onboard.

I have contacted three dealers for a MKV, GTR, and MKIV. The GTR and MKV are similarly priced, and the MKIV is the “cheaper” of the three...only because of it’s mileage.
I think you should sit in a MKV and if allowed to test drive it. And I tell you the minute i sat in the supra, I was in love. The seats were so damn comfortable, and the thing that sold me was the exhaust and chassis. If you took the MKV around a mountain pass, or windy roads. I don't think there is a car that feels that good for that price. And not to mention is actually very practical, it can easily fit your weekend groceries. I actually fit a christmas tree in it which was hilarious, but i'll be honest this car has been nothing but smiles and fun moments and I don't care how many people call it a bmw, I still love it.

OP
OP
PerformanceSound

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If your goal is to break track records, I don't think either Supra can, in stock form, match GTR's down force, handling and software gizmos. Is it outdated, somewhat, but still holds it Godzilla capability and looks. Slightly harder to power slide.

MKIV, you'll either buy tuned/modified or do it yourself to make it track capable and fun. Only MT option. Outdated inside. Timeless design. You can play around for sure, but your marriage may take a hit :eek: do you like turbo lag?

MKV, to be fair you're in a MKV forum. Chances are, as you also stated, you're leaning towards it. Brand new, few good tuning options, many more to come. Lots of potential. Less muscular looks out of the box vs GTR, but sexy styling. No rear seat.
As you're open to used and new: M2, Porsches, R8, F-Type, etc.
My 2 cents to confuse you more. Lol

My choice was clear, but a gamble. For you it's not a gamble. Test drive gtr/mkv...
I was also looking at used 997's, but even used they still fall outside my price range for clean examples. Really like the 997's though.

I think you should sit in a MKV and if allowed to test drive it. And I tell you the minute i sat in the supra, I was in love. The seats were so damn comfortable, and the thing that sold me was the exhaust and chassis. If you took the MKV around a mountain pass, or windy roads. I don't think there is a car that feels that good for that price. And not to mention is actually very practical, it can easily fit your weekend groceries. I actually fit a christmas tree in it which was hilarious, but i'll be honest this car has been nothing but smiles and fun moments and I don't care how many people call it a bmw, I still love it.
I drove in one of the first MKV's that were delivered....felt comfortable, and seats are snug. I dunno if it's just me though, but the seats seem to make me feel like im sitting higher than I should be...even when adjusted low. Like I feel as if I am sitting a bit too high. Maybe its my height, im 6'2". I am most impressed with the smooth acceleration.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Seats are awesome 14way adjustable. Side bolster support is adjustable. Wish it went a bit more snug. You definitely seat higher even at lowest seat position. Would've loved to seat lower like my 86, but you get used to it.
Awesome acceleration, even better with simple tune. Sounds great. Just buy the darn thing ;)

a90moe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
What do you guys think? I won’t disclose my budget, but it’s the final sports before marriage this summer.

MKV:
- New
- Looks great
- New and modern tech
- Brand new for under $60k
- So far, excellent aftermarket support

I recently took on a new build (1972 FJ40 LandCruiser) so 4x4...check, I have a built 4Runner for everyday use so daily...check, a 2019 STI for weekend and daily fun so fun weekend...check, and now I need an all out track monster. Need honest non-biased opinions.
For an all out track monster this may be a negative unless tuners offer a way around possible electronic interference's..

As an all around performer, yes I say MKV Supra..

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
I'm driving my A60 this week, next week I am having to choose the A80 or A90. It's the A80's turn in terms of rotation.... but I just want to drive the A90.

FWIW my A80 is a restored 1999, GTX35, V161, Haltech, DBW, 18x10" TE37, recaros... it's a dream to drive. ~470whp on 93MON

But I am still drawn to the A90.

(a stock, or even BPU A80, is no match in acceleration for an A90 FWIW)

OP
OP
PerformanceSound

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm driving my A60 this week, next week I am having to choose the A80 or A90. It's the A80's turn in terms of rotation.... but I just want to drive the A90.

FWIW my A80 is a restored 1999, GTX35, V161, Haltech, DBW, 18x10" TE37, recaros... it's a dream to drive. ~470whp on 93MON

But I am still drawn to the A90.

(a stock, or even BPU A80, is no match in acceleration for an A90 FWIW)
Yeah, I really am impressed with the A90’s acceleration. How do like the seating position while cornering? Do you feel like your having to look over alot when entering a corner?

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
The seating position in the A90 is fantastic. The A80 is also really, really good (compared to early Supras - even the few Porsches in the extended family), but the A90 feels like a very tight and focused place to sit. The steering isn't buzzing with feel like the 86, but it's very very good, direct and the front end feels razor sharp.

It feels like you're sitting on the rear axle in the A90. You don't feel like you have to look over much because the front is already pointing in that direction. It's hard to explain. It definitely has some Porsche-like qualities (the wanky cliche of telepathic is kinda appropriate)... The A80 is great too (I have 275/35/18 square set up, so the front end is also very good, balance very neutral) but the A90 is a fantastic from a steering and seating perspective. It does feel like a special car.

We've got an R35 as our work car, I haven't driven it yet (it's still in bits) but sitting in there feels more spacious and less.... focused? I am not sure the word.... Everything about the A90 feels sharp.

I've got some in car track vids of all the Supras bar A90 on my youtube... A90 to come :)

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I'm not at all a fan of the R35 driving experience (lifeless is perhaps an understatement) and to that end none of my friends that had them kept them longer than 3 years. Amazing track potential, but it leaves a lot to be desired. Most of these guys were ex-Supra guys, specifically A80.

One of two things happened afterwards, they bought another mkiv and/or they bought a Vette, Viper, or Porsche lol.

So, I'd say the A90 is a great choice, especially BPU, but if you want a manual then the A80 is the play.

OP
OP
PerformanceSound

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not at all a fan of the R35 driving experience (lifeless is perhaps an understatement) and to that end none of my friends that had them kept them longer than 3 years. Amazing track potential, but it leaves a lot to be desired. Most of these guys were ex-Supra guys, specifically A80.

One of two things happened afterwards, they bought another mkiv and/or they bought a Vette, Viper, or Porsche lol.

So, I'd say the A90 is a great choice, especially BPU, but if you want a manual then the A80 is the play.
Porsche’s are unbelievably good. A buddy of mine has a 911 Turbo at work, and every time we go for a ride or I get a chance to drive it, it impresses me more and more. Fantastic sports cars! I just can’t seem to find a clean well cared for example within my budget....and I’ve done my homework trust me. A 911 is at the top of my list, if one comes along at the right price.

Even though I’m not a fan of most MKIV owners, I have always liked the MKIV....I mean who doesn’t right? I know the platform has been torture tested to extreme limits with amazing results. However, the one thing that continues to linger in my mind about the MKIV is the end-of-life for the platform from Toyota. In a; GTR, MKV, 911, etc... I can spin out and dent a fender and go next morning to the dealership and order a new fender. I can’t really do that with a MKIV? The MKIV is on my list because it has a manual option...period. I love manual cars!

I am flying to California soon to look at a new MKV...so, we’ll see.

LS3Twins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 1998 E36 M3 LS3 Twin Turbo
Porsche’s are unbelievably good. A buddy of mine has a 911 Turbo at work, and every time we go for a ride or I get a chance to drive it, it impresses me more and more. Fantastic sports cars! I just can’t seem to find a clean well cared for example within my budget....and I’ve done my homework trust me. A 911 is at the top of my list, if one comes along at the right price.

Even though I’m not a fan of most MKIV owners, I have always liked the MKIV....I mean who doesn’t right? I know the platform has been torture tested to extreme limits with amazing results. However, the one thing that continues to linger in my mind about the MKIV is the end-of-life for the platform from Toyota. In a; GTR, MKV, 911, etc... I can spin out and dent a fender and go next morning to the dealership and order a new fender. I can’t really do that with a MKIV? The MKIV is on my list because it has a manual option...period. I love manual cars!

I am flying to California soon to look at a new MKV...so, we’ll see.
Just my 2 cents seeing as I've had 2 modified GTR's, 2 A80's and currently have the A90.

The only downside to the A90 so far has been the interior size. I daily drove all these cars and even though the GTR has a small back seat it still has a backseat and very handy.

This is a hard one between the A90 and the GTR. It really depends on what you want to end up doing with it. Some people don't like the GTR but for overall daily driving it is a blast to drive and at 600+ wheel spinning all four tires you just can be unhappy. Yes it's a little awkward at low speed but most DCT's are. I would definitely drive both of them before making the decision but that's a close one for me. They are both great and both have strong aftermarket support. I have been very impressed with the A90 so far and it has been one of my favorite vehicles I've owned and right up there with a GTR.

The A80 is just too outdated to put it in the same category I think, you will miss those creature comforts and tech.

I think drive the A90 and if it feels too small for you then def get the GTR.

OP
OP
PerformanceSound

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just my 2 cents seeing as I've had 2 modified GTR's, 2 A80's and currently have the A90.

The only downside to the A90 so far has been the interior size. I daily drove all these cars and even though the GTR has a small back seat it still has a backseat and very handy.

This is a hard one between the A90 and the GTR. It really depends on what you want to end up doing with it. Some people don't like the GTR but for overall daily driving it is a blast to drive and at 600+ wheel spinning all four tires you just can be unhappy. Yes it's a little awkward at low speed but most DCT's are. I would definitely drive both of them before making the decision but that's a close one for me. They are both great and both have strong aftermarket support. I have been very impressed with the A90 so far and it has been one of my favorite vehicles I've owned and right up there with a GTR.

The A80 is just too outdated to put it in the same category I think, you will miss those creature comforts and tech.

I think drive the A90 and if it feels too small for you then def get the GTR.
I love the GTR's interior. Seats feel nice, roomy, quiet, and latest tech. Yeah, I don't think the low speed "clunky feel" of the GR6 is a deal breaker, but it's a damn FAST car! I have several friends who own MKIV's and some are obviously die-hard fans and want me to get a MKIV just because....and the others advise me to reconsider a MKIV because age takes a toll on cars, Supra or not.

The signs keep pointing to a MKV....but, offers have gone out to a GTR, MKIV, and one of two MKV's. The second MKV I am scheduled to go see soon in California. Unless a 997 deal comes along and blows me away...:D.
Sponsored