Accel. Pedal input delay - MY2023 6MT

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Has anyone else noticed with the 6MT a throttle 'deadband' or 'hestiation' on application of small throttle inputs - say 5%?

EG - you're cruising at a constant speed around town, in 4th/5th (gear doesn't matter)

You apply a small throttle input - a normal "just cruising" amount - and there is a noticable delay before the engine responds.

If you do this and release immediately - the car doesn't register the throttle input at all. It feels like a delay, perhaps 0.2-0.5 seconds.

Has anyone else noticed this? It gives a very non-linear and artificial feeling - one I haven't noticed in other cars with DBW.

Details:
Nov 2022 build 6MT 285kW 6-port engine
More noticable in 'normal' mode, less in sport
Not noticable with larger throttle inputs (eg >20%)
Not gear/RPM dependant - even 2nd gear at 4500rpm, still an input delay
Car is still fresh, 160km (100miles) on the car
Car has catback exhaust (Don't see how that would be any different though)
Driven with VSC/TRC OFF (long hold of button)

Is this normal, expected behaviour? It really feels shit and artificial.
Sponsored

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Normal Mode greatly desensitizes the throttle response for smoother driving, as it's designed that way. The DME is also still in learning mode, so things will adapt and change a bit as you put more miles on. Don't worry about it.

OP
OP

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Cool, I'm hoping that's the case. Typically I drive in sport with TRC off... I was in normal mode to reduce the burbles, because I am old, but put into sport for the above reason and it's still annoying.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Hmm.. this might be what I was trying to describe during my test drive a while back. Hopefully it sorts itself out in time.

Boataur

First Name
RB
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91-MT CUL
Iā€™m at almost 1k miles and havenā€™t noticed this.

Joebednar4

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
My 2020 100% does this, and it's absolutely annoying. I need to do the relearn process and see how it does.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
My 2020 100% does this, and it's absolutely annoying. I need to do the relearn process and see how it does.
Yours might be the throttle hesitation issue that exists. There's a whole thread about it.

Last edited:

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
I have a '23 MT and I think (I'll try to pay more attention next time) I do know what you mean and you may have a point, but pretty sure it's only in comfort/normal mode so I just took that as an acceptable / eco related lag.
If it's consistent I wouldn't say it's an issue/fault just something to get used to IMO.

Joebednar4

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Yours might be the throttle hesitation issue that exists. There's a while thread about it.
Ahhh gotcha. I thought this was a little different than what I was expecting, but I felt left out and wanted to bitch about it šŸ¤£ Thank you!!! I'll look for that thread!

OP
OP

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
A good way to see this issue:

Use the 'sport displays' screen
press the accelerator a bit (you want about 3kW/4hp)
See how long it takes before the screen registers 3kW - from the time you pushed the pedal

It's not long, but it's enough to feel unnatural.

mkvB58KING

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
I get something similar when trying to accelerate from a dead stop. It seems to be worse in the rain. I put my foot down, car goes nowhere. It's scary because it usually happens while turning into traffic. Going into traction mode eliminates this issue, which leads me to believe its the TC causing problems. Some other folks have the same problem, I've yet to see a fix. My car is a 2020 and has had several dealer software updates.

cinosa

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Nitro Yellow Supra 3.0 Premium
I've been experiencing this issue since new in my '22. It also appears to be totally random when it happens, as I can't reliably reproduce the problem, but when it happens it's when I'm using ~5% throttle and the car just does not respond for 2-3 seconds, then it starts moving.

From what I can remember, it's only ever happened when accelerating from a stop, hasn't happened when already moving. I've been driving the car in manual mode almost exclusively for the last month or more and I haven't noticed it since.

Kolme

First Name
Kolme
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Iā€™d recommend all of you to check out this thread. Throttle hesitation relating to traction control issues is fairly well documented.
Throttle Hesitation

Summary:
  1. Problem: Randomly the car from a stop or slow start will have a very significant delay in throttle.
  2. Cause: Something to do with TC/VSC, likely software.
  3. Solution: Some drive with TC off. Some have luck in start first minute with TC/VSC off and then turning back on. Some had resolution after a software update.

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
Are there any throttle controllers for the Supra ? That solved the problem on my mustang. Just a thought
I havenā€™t been active enough on this forum to notice if anyone has tried this here yet, but Dinan, APR, etc, started selling this throttle mapping controller somewhat recently. Iā€™ve seen some folks on the G42 Bimmerpost forums talk about it. Seems to help with perceived throttle sensitivity. Not so sure itā€™d help with the traction control issues others have brought up in this thread.

https://www.dinancars.com/products/software-tuning/throttle-tuning/parts/D440-1700
Sponsored