All-new 2023 Nissan Z makes world debut!

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
The Yamaha/Toyota relationship is deep in so many ways (historically, financially, and personally) that I doubt Yamaha would ever work with Nissan or anyone else. Plus, Nissan REALLY pissed off Yamaha with the 2000GT ordeal lol. Then to add insult to injury the S30Z that followed...

That said, I agree that letting the Z die is absolutely ridiculous, but that's where we are at now... the GTR died once too though, unfortunately.
This is the company that sacrificed the S16 for the Juke

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Nissans management basically illused Yamaha on the Silvia project, with extreme timelines and demands without wanting to provide the necessary time/funding (a trend you'll notice below). This was hard for Yamaha, but they toughed it out and made it through.

However, as development into the A550X continued, Nissan replaced some engineering and design staff and instead decided that they wanted to build their own car free of partnerships (while also taking much of what they learned from Yamaha and channeling it using Prince Motors). So they used the excuse that the motor in the A550X prototype was too expensive for the market and that the pop-up headlights were not ideal for buyers. These were ridiculous complaints that Yamaha could have easily rectified, but all of this was really about money and company politics. There were also the existing tensions from the previous Silvia project now compounded, so both companies were pretty much done with each other by this point.

So, Yamaha pissed off and in debt due to the A550X went to Toyota, who also more or less turned down the prototype but agreed to work together on the project and integrate existing development from both sides to create what would become the 2000GT.

Last edited:

Sunspot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I like big rear ends and I cannot lie.
Nissans management basically illused Yamaha on the Silvia project, with extreme timelines and demands without wanting to provide the necessary time/funding (a trend you'll notice below). This was hard for Yamaha, but they toughed it out and made it through.

However, as development into the A550X continued, Nissan replaced some engineering and design staff and instead decided that they wanted to build their own car free of partnerships (while also taking much of what they learned from Yamaha and channeling it using Prince Motors). So they used the excuse that the motor in the A550X prototype was too expensive for the market and that the pop-up headlights were not ideal for buyers. These were ridiculous complaints that Yamaha could have easily rectified, but all of this was really about money and company politics. There were also the existing tensions from the previous Silvia project now compounded, so both companies were pretty much done with each other by this point.

So, Yamaha pissed off and in debt due to the A550X went to Toyota, who also more or less turned down the prototype but agreed to work together on the project and integrate existing development from both sides to create what would become the 2000GT.

A70TTR do you think making a limited run of production gives you a better return on investment as opposed to trying to forecast sales? I know this is a marketing question but I think it plays a big part in how much a company will invest in a product.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
definitely a good question, but I'm just a curious as you as to what the correct answer is.

I feel like the general response would be that it depends on a ton of factors, but that the protracted method of selling more over time at a lower price would be the best way to recoup costs and make profit (as well as stay competitive on pricing).

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none

Screenshot_2018-04-12-19-18-40.png

SS09ER

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RS13
definitely a good question, but I'm just a curious as you as to what the correct answer is.

I feel like the general response would be that it depends on a ton of factors, but that the protracted method of selling more over time at a lower price would be the best way to recoup costs and make profit (as well as stay competitive on pricing).
Sounds like what Nissan does right now with the 370z

SPMS

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rc-F, 350z-TT, G2 Raptor
Vehicle Showcase

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My AWD Q50 Red Sport does pretty well at 400whp, despite the 3900lbs, but you're right in that's pretty damn heavy.

The RWD is lighter though at 3700.

Current Z is like 3250 iirc, so I don't think we will see over 3500lbs.

Nurburgring

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
911 Turbo, M3 E46, Turbocharged NA Miata, S2000, Mazda FC3S & FD3S, EP91 Starlet, EK9 Type R, EG6 Sir2, AE86, 3SGE AE86, Evo7RS, F3 race car
Last edited:

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Knowing what I know I think it's probably bs, but one can hope.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Knowing what I know I think it's probably bs, but one can hope.
If it is true, then the Supra might need to take some steroids to separate itself from the class if the Z stays the same price
Sponsored