Analysis, Comments & Reactions from the Web about the new Supra

McWicked

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stutz Bearcat
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking at the Gazoo Racing Supra and noticed in the pictures that the vents appear to be fake on that vehicle as well.
LOL. It's just a design mock-up, not an actual race car(AKA "fake"). The Gazoo Racing Supra has an electric motor in it, for goodness sake.
Sponsored

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
There were other major factors that lead to the A80's price reduction that would not happen now. This also lead to the extinction of the other Japanese halo cars in the late 90's. Even in '96 and '97 where the prices were the highest, there weren't any 6 speed turbos sold in the U.S, only automatic.
Negatory. Only 96 was the year no manuals sold... because the 6spd turbo was not offered due to OBD2 kicking in and Toyota didn't make that model compliant in time. The 6spd was back for 97 and most certainly sold. You could still get a manual NA in 96 too.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
Negatory. Only 96 was the year no manuals sold... because the 6spd turbo was not offered due to OBD2 kicking in and Toyota didn't make that model compliant in time. The 6spd was back for 97 and most certainly sold. You could still get a manual NA in 96 too.
You're right, it was only 1 year.

Supra21

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mercedes Benz C250

I Found this video made by an MKIV owner who outlined facts comparing the 2JZ and the B58...it's quite interesting that the motor found its way into production after Toyota solidified its partnership with BMW! I believe Toyota has had more involvement in the design of this motor than the credit that has been shown to them. Don't get me wrong, the components are BMW sourced, but engineering-wise, I feel Toyota played a large role in the design of the B58 given the time of its release.
That being said, this video outlines some very fine points in regards to the design of the motor in regards to its forged components and potential for tunability!

RyanGT3RS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Red 991.2 GT3RS, M and AMG,s
98 turbos weren’t available in California due to emissions.

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
Isn't it going to be the GR Super Sport?
No no. The GR Super Sport is derived from the TS050 LMP1 car. The reason why the concept was made because of the new hypercar regulations that have been confirmed for the 2020 WEC season. This replaces the prototypes and replaces them with manufacturer's hypercars.

The Toyota GR Super Sport is now born because of that. We have seen it as a concept and they and intending to build it as a production hypercar for the regulations in 2020. Toyota wants to stay in the game and they are very much involved in the WEC. So their only (best and most plausible) choice is to make a hypercar out of the LMP1 car, from which it will then compete as a racecar for the hypercar regulations.

The Supra will be joining its big brother, the Toyota TS050 Hybrid. I think there is one season where it will be the Supra and the TS050 Hybrid (it will be a legendary season for Toyota), then the prototypes will be making way as the hypercar based Le Mans race cars will be coming. I am quite upset because I loved the prototypes, but they're going. :(

Last edited by a moderator: