Analysis, Comments & Reactions from the Web about the new Supra

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
Yeah the site owners changed the forum software, it's a hot mess. I am confused also, I agreed with you when the gtr first came out there was a ton of negativity at the fact there was no manual, fast forward to now and many many supra owners have owned atleast for a short while an r35. I had the privilege of driving a friends for a week and they are seriously fantastic cars. I was also one of the people critical of the manual back then, but once I drove it, it made sense. A manual trans in that car now would seem foreign. People are capable of changing their opinions with either knowledge or experience. But there are limitations to which supra can be called a supra :eek:
Oh yes, it's such an eyesore. The old forum was sooo much better. No offense to anyone that owns one, but I still think the GTR is ugly as sin. Yeah I think if Toyota had call it a 2000GT a lot of people would be less mad lol.
Sponsored

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
people are only kidding themselves if they don't think the Corvette will not impact Supra sales...sure perhaps Supra customers weren't interested in past Corvette generations, but come on there were barely a few MKIV Supra buyers to begin with compared to the masses of Corvette owners. There is no denying what this C8 offers, GM totally proved me wrong with specs & pricing.. If a V8 mid-engine sports car that starts at $60 doesn't make you bat an eye then you ain't thinkin straight. MKV is now relegated to being the alternative & "different" choice that you don't see everyone driving >.<

..this is now Toyota's time to step up to differentiate the Supra by offering a MT since GM won't be putting one the C8.

scoates

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 GT86, 2020 Supra A90 Edition, 2021 GR Yaris
when the gtr first came out there was a ton of negativity at the fact there was no manual, fast forward to now and many many supra owners have owned atleast for a short while an r35. I had the privilege of driving a friends for a week and they are seriously fantastic cars. I was also one of the people critical of the manual back then, but once I drove it, it made sense. A manual trans in that car now would seem foreign. People are capable of changing their opinions with either knowledge or experience. But there are limitations to which supra can be called a supra :eek:
From what you've said there it seems similar to a lot of people with the A90. I get the arguments from die hard Supra fans about how much different it is than what they hoped, similar to the die hard GTR fans. But as you've said, after driving it, getting used to it and seeing how the aftermarket does, now most people love it. People are starting to do it with the Supra too, there are some here even that were dead set to cancel their order, then they drove it, they saw one for real, and changed their mind. Sure, it maybe isn't what you hoped for, but sit in one, drive one, wait and see how the aftermarket does and then make your decision. Going off on how bad it is before more than about 10 people own one is one thing, but drive one and see for yourself. You may change your mind with knowledge and experience.

FasTTurbo

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra 6spd (RR) - 94 Supra 6spd (Alpine)
From what you've said there it seems similar to a lot of people with the A90. I get the arguments from die hard Supra fans about how much different it is than what they hoped, similar to the die hard GTR fans. But as you've said, after driving it, getting used to it and seeing how the aftermarket does, now most people love it. People are starting to do it with the Supra too, there are some here even that were dead set to cancel their order, then they drove it, they saw one for real, and changed their mind. Sure, it maybe isn't what you hoped for, but sit in one, drive one, wait and see how the aftermarket does and then make your decision. Going off on how bad it is before more than about 10 people own one is one thing, but drive one and see for yourself. You may change your mind with knowledge and experience.
I see your point, but my issue is not with it isnt a great car but with the means and name on the back of it are undeserving.

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKIV
Yes it does. Some engine sound is plumped into the cabin through the speakers, but it is very very minor from my understandings
What's the reason for that?

Also, do you know if the new C8 Corvette does the same thing or is it just BMWs that do that?

I've heard or read somewhere even the M3 Or something do that as well. I don't know the reason though. Very peculiar

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
"Active sound design" is common on BMWs, Audis, and others nowadays. They make the cars more quiet and isolated, and do this to bring some engine/exhaust sound (albeit fake) back into the cabin. I don't like it. I disabled it on my X3 M40i (pulled a fuse) and actually think the sound coming from the exhaust is cleaner and more punctuated now. Also less drone in my ears and the stereo sounds better. I will probably disable it on my M2 Comp as well, but that car requires coding or a special harness to disable ASD.

SpamSupra

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra (Absolute White)
I still think forced induction is better over NA so I'll always choose the supra over the corvette.

Oxytal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MR2 SW20
I see your point, but my issue is not with it isnt a great car but with the means and name on the back of it are undeserving.
You have a point there. The new Supra is quite a departure from previous generations but overall I think it's change from a sporty GT cruiser to a tuner-friendly sports car is a change for the better. Similar to how the Corvette moved to an MR, sports cars have to evolve to meet shifting user demand. Toyota knew most people would mod the hell out of the car so they made it as tuner friendly as possible and even gave some models to aftermarket companies so they can develop parts early. The same can be said for the 6MT and I understand why people are upset but Toyota know they'll make most of the money on the 8AT.

Kudos to Toyota and kudos to GM for their commitment to making fun sports cars, especially in a future of electric crossovers XD

FasTTurbo

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra 6spd (RR) - 94 Supra 6spd (Alpine)
You have a point there. The new Supra is quite a departure from previous generations but overall I think it's change from a sporty GT cruiser to a tuner-friendly sports car is a change for the better. Similar to how the Corvette moved to an MR, sports cars have to evolve to meet shifting user demand. Toyota knew most people would mod the hell out of the car so they made it as tuner friendly as possible and even gave some models to aftermarket companies so they can develop parts early. The same can be said for the 6MT and I understand why people are upset but Toyota know they'll make most of the money on the 8AT.

Kudos to Toyota and kudos to GM for their commitment to making fun sports cars, especially in a future of electric crossovers XD
Now it's fine if aftermarket tuning is not your knowledge base, but your sentence is confusing. You know the mkiv supra even the mkiii are some of the most tunable cars on the planet right?
Lets correct your statement, BMW left certain mods off the car as a pre planned staged set of mods companies can fill. Like a flea market, they setup the tent for you to sell your goods. How do we know, BMW Toyota said this is what they are doing. The mkiv or mkiii supra was build as an amazing car to be driven unmodded, the Japanese tuner market was born because of cars like this. Like I said, most people will mod these cars the same way, remove the vents, pretuned ecu flashing software, exhaust, high flow cats, intakes, and suspension/chassis improvements. Mainly ones that don't void the warranty. And man you are going to need that warranty if you plan to drive these cars like the YouTube reviewers for any period of time.

Last edited:

Viselord

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru BRZ
people are only kidding themselves if they don't think the Corvette will not impact Supra sales...sure perhaps Supra customers weren't interested in past Corvette generations, but come on there were barely a few MKIV Supra buyers to begin with compared to the masses of Corvette owners. There is no denying what this C8 offers, GM totally proved me wrong with specs & pricing.. If a V8 mid-engine sports car that starts at $60 doesn't make you bat an eye then you ain't thinkin straight. MKV is now relegated to being the alternative & "different" choice that you don't see everyone driving >.<

..this is now Toyota's time to step up to differentiate the Supra by offering a MT since GM won't be putting one the C8.
100% agree with you.

Majority of the people buying the Supra and Vette are from the same 'pool' - people who want an affordable performance sports car. Right now on paper the Vette is a hell of a deal compared to the Supra. Plus its 100% American (holistically, you know what I mean) so previous owners don't have the 'is it really a Vette' question in their mind. The Supra is half german which has turned off a lot of the previous Supra enthusiasts.

A manual would definitely change the rhetoric, otherwise I am not sure sure how this is going to play out.

BrettS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase
Corvettes are gunna be marked up just as much as the supra is so comparing the marked up supra to a msrp Vette is irrelevant
Sponsored

Last edited: