Any 2020 Owners regretting their purchase?

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
From someone who paid less than $48k for my 2020 3.0 premium brand new, I'm perfectly fine with the money I saved over buying the 2021.

Now back to the topic at hand, let's not turn this into a dick measuring contest over 50hp, we're all grown ass adults.
Sponsored

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
There are still some 2020 owners still grasping for straws since the 2021 announcements, especially some YouTubers out there stating that 2020 models have "Way more low-end torque". Not true, there's a 150-200rpm difference in torque arrival (almost undetectable by any butt dyno) and the max torque on the 2021's is measurably higher. The 4800rpm+ HP gains are substantial, in some cases 40whp.

All ECU's will eventually be unlocked, yes even the late 2021's and so on. The 2021 is a faster and better car, any arguments against that are only from some of the bitter 2020 owners. There are no "trade-offs", the 2021 models are just better through improvements.

Had I bought a 2020, I would have unquestionably been upset when Toyota announced the 2021 improvements.
there are pros and cons for both vehicles.. lol I donā€™t care for the ugly strut bars and lower compression motor. I do like the calipers decals and more whp.

21Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium, Honda CRV Hybrid Touring
I know Iā€™m just the new guy here but honestly who cares about the 2021 vs the 2020? We are all here because we love our cars and there isnā€™t THAT much difference between the model years. Itā€™s not like Iā€™m going to pull up next to another MKV owner and talk $h!t just because I feel like Iā€™m better than them. Besides, us 21 owners could very well be in the same boat next year when and if Toyota upgrades the 22. Bottom line is we are all driving a car that goes 0-60 in about 4 seconds off the lot. Isnā€™t that good enough for all of us?

Last edited:

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 2015 BMW 435xi
I have no regrets with my 2020, I have the blue paint which was not available the 2nd year. It would have been nice to have the suspension tweaks, the HP increase doesn't bother me as BMW does that often with it's cars also. I been through that twice with my BMWs.

21Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have no regrets with my 2020, I have the blue paint which was not available the 2nd year. It would have been nice to have the suspension tweaks, the HP increase doesn't bother me as BMW does that often with it's cars also. I been through that twice with my BMWs.
Plus letā€™s be honest, the 2020 was underrated on paper at 335hp. It wouldnā€™t surprise me one bit if Toyota didnā€™t really make any major changes to the hp and are now just officially listing what everyone had all along.

darkloki

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra MKIV Turbo Six Speed Getrag v160 BPU
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is a Daily Driver so I don't really care about the HP increase, the garage queen MKIV is what I care about tuning and tracking. The MKV is a fantastic Daily Driver.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Plus letā€™s be honest, the 2020 was underrated on paper at 335hp. It wouldnā€™t surprise me one bit if Toyota didnā€™t really make any major changes to the hp and are now just officially listing what everyone had all along.
They're both underrated. Stock for stock there's about a 40 wheel horsepower difference. But torque is virtually the same. The difference is negligible. Bigger difference is the suspension feel. I forgot which track it was, but the '21 lapped significantly faster than a '20.

I haven't had any oil issues in my '21. I switched to a thicker 5W-30. In my opinion the 0W-20 is to raise the MPG, to appease the EPA pukes and people are getting blowby. I haven't lost a drop of oil.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
The good news is that we will soon be able to join the ā€œAny 2021 Owners regretting their purchase?ā€ when the 2022s come out.

Regretting the purchase of any Supra is about as insane a question as regretting the purchase of buying a shake weight for your spouse: unpossible

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 86 944 Turbo
What do you mean?

I lost my wife to the shake weight!

j/k

21Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The good news is that we will soon be able to join the ā€œAny 2021 Owners regretting their purchase?ā€ when the 2022s come out.

Regretting the purchase of any Supra is about as insane a question as regretting the purchase of buying a shake weight for your spouse: unpossible

Which is just another reason why I am not going to talk down to 2020 owners. That and I don't really care. Both cars are awesome. Obviously I like the fact hat my 21 has some upgrades but last years model is still a fantastic car.

Bundy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra A90, 2021 Subaru Outback
Had I bought a 2020, I would have unquestionably been upset when Toyota announced the 2021 improvements.
Having that mindset means you can never buy anything since pretty much everything gets ā€œbetterā€ with each model coming out.

Cars, computers, cell phone etc.

If you enjoy what you have then that is all that matters.

Neilswheel

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra 2017 VW Tiguan
I drive my 2020 as a daily driver. I have had it since 11/2019. I have almost 8000 miles on it. About once every two or three weeks as I hit full throttle around 80+ mph it would be nice to have that little bit of extra power at the top end. For the other 99% of the time, the car has plenty of power.

jreinlie4

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Having that mindset means you can never buy anything since pretty much everything gets ā€œbetterā€ with each model coming out.

Cars, computers, cell phone etc.

If you enjoy what you have then that is all that matters.
Clearly I don't have that mindset as I purchased a 2021. However, I was empathizing with the 2020 owners as there are obvious performance improvements that were made only in the second production year. Some of the 2020 owners may not care, but many of them were not happy to know that they were missing out on some extra power and suspension refinement. Some even deny there are improvements at all and that is a foolish claim. Many mechanics will warn against buying the first production year of any new model as there are always engineering and mechanical flaws that are later corrected in the following production years.

Last edited:

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
From someone who paid less than $48k for my 2020 3.0 premium brand new, I'm perfectly fine with the money I saved over buying the 2021.

Now back to the topic at hand, let's not turn this into a dick measuring contest over 50hp, we're all grown ass adults.
I agree. I was between a 2021 for 58k or a 2020 for 50k. I talked them down to 47k for the 2020 and told myself that I could save the 11k difference in getting more than 50hp
Sponsored