any former mustang owners want to compare their supra experience to their former car?

fnord

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford Mustang GT
The Supra is at the top of my list for a new car. I'm interested in hearing from former mustang owners, particularly daily drivers on how life with their Supras have been. Thank you.
Sponsored

MCSeverino

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited
I daily drove a 2015 GT with the PP prior to trading it in for a Supra (3.0 Premium w/ driver's assist). The Mustang was fun, but mechanically a POS. I had a lot of problems with it, which were all fixed under warranty, but far too many to be happy with it. It also rattled horribly and while comfortable, generally felt cheap inside.

The Supra is much smaller and lacks utility, but that's not really an issue for me since we also have a bigger SUV. Some will note that the Supra is lower and a bit more difficult to get in and out of, which is true, but again, not much of a problem for me. Visibility was better in the Mustang, but not enough so that it makes any difference with the rear view cam and other safety features.

On a day to day basis, I find the Supra much more pleasing to drive, and it feels much better put together. It is definitely quicker and the handling is in a different league. The driving experience is very much summed up by saying one is a sports car and one is a muscle car.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
I daily drove a 2010 Mustang back in 2010 for a year or so. Very much agree with above. Its a decently comfortable car. Decent straightline power. But honestly the Supra is quite fast.

Was more comfy than sporty which is weird considering this is Fords premier sports car.

Honestly you cant go wrong going to a Supra. I think you'll enjoy it. it still has the power you want but this car can handle like a beast.

SUPRA90

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR SUPRA A91
Owned 17 Mustangs. From 100hp to 1,000. From Cobras to boss 302’s. None of them compare to the driving experience of the Supra, and the reactions of others. Once you get to know where/what all the buttons are/for you will want to keep it forever. It’s that fun. ?

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nocturnal 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I'm coming from a 2012 v6 mustang. The transition from the Mustang to the supra was super easy. Daily driving and road tripping is nicer in the supra due to more driver luxuries. The supra is lower than my mustang so learning curve with that but isn't an issue anymore. I like the supra being smaller than the mustang. The only downside is I have run into needing a little bit of extra storage space but not any big issue.

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0L Premium, buncha Miatas, others....
I've had a '91 GT convt, '04 GT and '17 GT. I'm usually a Chevy guy but have had a few Mustangs LOL. Also have had a '90 Supra Turbo. The Mustangs are obviously better if you need to regularly carry other people such as kids, but my kids never had a whole lot of space anyway in the back of a Mustang and they are not gettin any smaller. As for driving I would pick the Supra - I mean i DID pick the Supra because I coulda had a darn nice Mustang for over 50 Grand LOL. I do wish the top came off like on my old Supra, but that's really my only beef with the new one. The acceleration is ridiculous. The squirrelly ass end is a negative for some but I love that it's there if you feel like it :D
.....exhaust sound is good but could be louder - just MHO. Gettin decent sound out of a Mustang is easier. Had Borla ATAK on the last one-

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I KNOW it's not the same lol but my prior car was a Camaro SS which is a lot like the Mustang GT except better in all respects lololol. Jokes aside, the Camaro and Mustang are broadly comparable so I figured I would share my thoughts...

I thought the lack of a back seat would be more of an issue but at least in the Camaro it is so small that it's only good for throwing your jacket or a briefcase back there. As I sit here now I would feel bad putting my 9 year-old in the Camaro back seat.

The Supra feels smaller than the Camaro. To me, that might be the biggest difference. Part of that is visibility and part of that is dimensions. Even though I had the Camaro for a while, I never felt like I really knew where the four corners of the car were when I was parking. The gun slit windows didn't help either. This might be an area where the Mustang is better than the Camaro.

Ride quality depends on your suspension mode. The Supra in normal mode rides pretty well, but in sport it is, I think, stiffer than the Camaro. Sport is coffee-spill mode in the Supra...

The other difference is that the Supra is a lot quieter than the SS. Granted I had a Stainless Works system on the Camaro but I think the Supra's stock note is very civilized and I do feel like there is a lot more sound insulation in the Supra than the Camaro.

Either way, I think the Supra is a great choice.

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0L Premium, buncha Miatas, others....
Even though I had the Camaro for a while, I never felt like I really knew where the four corners of the car were when I was parking.
Very common issue with the Camaro (which I darn near bought an SS in 2016 but ended up with the Mustang GT).

Blaque Diamond Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MkV
It wouldn't really be comparing apples to apples since the two cars were designed differently. The Supra seems to be more compact and performance-oriented while the latter follows the tradition of what an American V8 car is. But the Mustang seems more like my type of a daily driver and the Supra is for the spirited weekend drives

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
It wouldn't really be comparing apples to apples since the two cars were designed differently. The Supra seems to be more compact and performance-oriented while the latter follows the tradition of what an American V8 car is. But the Mustang seems more like my type of a daily driver and the Supra is for the spirited weekend drives
i dont think the supra has beaten a camaro or a mustang in any performance metric or around any track theyve been compared on that Ive seen so far? 0-60, 1/4 et, 1/4 mph, nurburgring,

i mean dont get me wrong, for my money it’s a supra too; but lets not forget how fast these American pony cars are now for the money. Theyre legit entry level sports cars now with 1LE/PP2 option boxes ticked.

sikedsyko

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0, 2005 Z4
I sold a 2012 Boss 302 to buy the Supra. In general the Supra is just a much tighter experience. The engine in the Boss was pure magic, but everything else in the car was just ok. I've had the Mustang out on track and it had loads of performance, but throwing around tons of weight in a car with mushy steering like that did not inspire confidence. The manual transmission in alot of mustangs are pretty terrible, mine was particularly bad and was probably due for a rebuild at just 60k miles. I certainly miss the V8 noises, but everything else in the Supra is better.

Main reason for selling the Mustang was because I changed jobs from a 5 minute commute to a 50 minute commute and wanted something that had more creature comforts and was better for spending a bunch of time in heavy stop and go traffic.

Blaque Diamond Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MkV
i dont think the supra has beaten a camaro or a mustang in any performance metric or around any track theyve been compared on that Ive seen so far? 0-60, 1/4 et, 1/4 mph, nurburgring,

i mean dont get me wrong, for my money it’s a supra too; but lets not forget how fast these American pony cars are now for the money. Theyre legit entry level sports cars now with 1LE/PP2 option boxes ticked.
Only time will tell. But I'd be pretty interested to see new records set on different tracks

2Cool

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra Premium 3.0
Owned a '66 3 speed 289, a '76, two '82s (hatch and vert), an '86 former FHP coupe, a '90 hatch set up for drifting with a KB Blowzilla, a '94 trailer queen with stroker 408 and ATI D1SC, an '02 GT, an '02 Cobra, and a '15 GT PP (Competition orange, best color ever). Also test drove a '20 GT the day before buying my Supra.

So yeah, some experience in Mustangs. And the Supra is lighter, better power to weight, better handling, much nicer interior. Willing to give up the extra room for the much better road feel. Plus the later GT manuals have craptastic clutch pedals with huge travel and very little feel, sucked the joy from driving them.

Might give a new Mach 1 a try, but can't see it changing my mind.

Mark5

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 M2
2021 Supra is actually much faster than an SS auto. As in several car lengths to 150mph... and gets 30%+ better mpg.

Attachments

SupraBC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 2.0
i dont think the supra has beaten a camaro or a mustang in any performance metric or around any track theyve been compared on that Ive seen so far?
Supra MkV A90 (335bhp)
Mustang GT MkVI facelift (460bhp)
Camaro SS MkVI (447bhp)

Hockenheim GP
Supra - 1:58.80
Camaro - 1:59.90
Mustang - 2:01.20

Nurburgring GP Sprint
Supra - 1:40.30
Camaro - 1:41.70

Magny Cours Club
Supra - 1:22.96
Camaro - 1:24.50

Source - Fastestlaps.com

Might not be apples to apples since it's different days, conditions, drivers, etc...but I see a trend there
Sponsored