Are OEM MPSS tires more prone to nail punctures?

IS2000

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Porsche Cayman, 2003 Mitsubishi EVO8, 2020 GR Supra
I’ve had two punctures in my oem tires this year alone (both in rear tires). So I was wondering if it had anything to do with these MPSS tires tendency to picking up nails or just pure bad luck. I remembered reading reviews on these tires with a few complaints about this type of issue. I’ve been driving for over 20+ years and only had a flat tire once.
Sponsored

SupraYYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0
I’ve had two punctures in my oem tires this year alone (both in rear tires). So I was wondering if it had anything to do with these MPSS tires tendency to picking up nails or just pure bad luck.
No. Nails exist, and they're not attracted to any particular type of compound. Your recent misfortune sucks, but it's not the tire's fault.

Last edited:

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I had a nail, well small screw in one rear as well for the first time in a long time. However, I believe it could be my mistake as I had to drive through a construction site... weirdly though, screw didn't look to be one used in the construction.. but happened the same day, so, just bad luck. but again, don't remember the last time I ever had a flat...
Anyhow, if PSS was new in the market then raising concerns would be ok, however it's been in the market for so long granted with a low UTQG. Doesn't mean there isn't a bad batch, but good luck proving that.. and it would have had to be a catastrophically horrible series of failures for a one-off tire to be shipped out somehow passing all on-line testing.. But warranty return it if possible so that if this is a bad batch, at least MI would be notified of it.. Shit happens and happened in my company that resulted in a recall.. I was in the tire industry as well until very recently...

How much tread you got remaining?

OP
OP
IS2000

IS2000

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Paying extra for Road hazard is your friend :)
We don’t have such thing over here. So the tires are expensive and we have to pay out of our pockets man.

OP
OP
IS2000

IS2000

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I had a nail, well small screw in one rear as well for the first time in a long time. However, I believe it could be my mistake as I had to drive through a construction site... weirdly though, screw didn't look to be one used in the construction.. but happened the same day, so, just bad luck. but again, don't remember the last time I ever had a flat...
Anyhow, if PSS was new in the market then raising concerns would be ok, however it's been in the market for so long granted with a low UTQG. Doesn't mean there isn't a bad batch, but good luck proving that.. and it would have had to be a catastrophically horrible series of failures for a one-off tire to be shipped out somehow passing all on-line testing.. But warranty return it if possible so that if this is a bad batch, at least MI would be notified of it.. Shit happens and happened in my company that resulted in a recall.. I was in the tire industry as well until very recently...

How much tread you got remaining?
The tires only got 4K miles on them, mostly highway miles.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
Got a nail in each rear tire back when I had just broken my car in. It's just bad luck. Currently at 9k miles on the stock PSS and no issues since, well, besides the tires already needing to be replaced due to being worn.

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra. 2018 Mazda Miata RF. 2020 Range Rover.
I had one the first week of ownership.
Sponsored