Arizona Supra Club

Kato

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2020 GR Supra Phantom
Thanks for the great info and advice! Very helpful. Two more questions:

1. What made you decide to forfeit the last round?

2. Why are people with dedicated track weapons going out on a HPDE level 1 one day? It sounds like you were with some "regulars" who were not true novices (i.e., their first time on a track and giving advice).

Thanks @Kato!
1. It was June and hot. I was getting tired from getting up at 3:30 to make it to the track from Tucson. Did not want to make a mistake and wreck the car. Like the last ski run at 5:00 pm is the most likely to cause injuries.

2. Sorry to inadvertently make it sound like a free-for-all. I believe HPDE is the most organized and safety and courtesy minded events for amatuer racing. The day I was the track there were several things going on ranging from HPDE1 , HPDE2, 3 and Time Trial. The hard core regulars are the ones participating in Time Trial. They're not mixed with HPDE1. Each HPDE category has their own track time. However, instructors are allowed to run in any class. My instructor was going to drive with me in HPDE3 but missed it and ended up in HPDE2. He mentioned that some of the drivers in HPDE2 are not ready to be in that category (don't know how they got there?). You will see that rules are well regulated and no one is passing anyone without getting a wave from the person in front of them. To be honest, I was so concentrated on my own driving that I didn't care if someone was tailing me. People like to go all out in the straight away so I usually let them by. I imagine you will be in the same boat in that there will be other categories out there the day you are on the track. Even within HPDE1, there are repeaters that have been there before and know the track better than I. It usually takes several runs in a given category before one is promoted to the next class, and it is at the instructor's discretion. So a track virgin will be at a disadvantage. Course familiarity is HUGE, and I had never been on that track before. Keep in mind that your instructor is with you in the car to keep you from doing the wrong things. He also can report unsportsmanlike like conducts from other drivers if he sees it. So things are well controlled. But it is still racing and speed is every where.

Knowing what I know now, I would not have taken my brand new Supra to a track like Wild Horse. It was not well marked and a very technical track to learn from.
Sponsored

DesertSupra2.0

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 2.0 21 Camry TRD 18 RX350 19 Outback
1. It was June and hot. I was getting tired from getting up at 3:30 to make it to the track from Tucson. Did not want to make a mistake and wreck the car. Like the last ski run at 5:00 pm is the most likely to cause injuries.

2. Sorry to inadvertently make it sound like a free-for-all. I believe HPDE is the most organized and safety and courtesy minded events for amatuer racing. The day I was the track there were several things going on ranging from HPDE1 , HPDE2, 3 and Time Trial. The hard core regulars are the ones participating in Time Trial. They're not mixed with HPDE1. Each HPDE category has their own track time. However, instructors are allowed to run in any class. My instructor was going to drive with me in HPDE3 but missed it and ended up in HPDE2. He mentioned that some of the drivers in HPDE2 are not ready to be in that category (don't know how they got there?). You will see that rules are well regulated and no one is passing anyone without getting a wave from the person in front of them. To be honest, I was so concentrated on my own driving that I didn't care if someone was tailing me. People like to go all out in the straight away so I usually let them by. I imagine you will be in the same boat in that there will be other categories out there the day you are on the track. Even within HPDE1, there are repeaters that have been there before and know the track better than I. It usually takes several runs in a given category before one is promoted to the next class, and it is at the instructor's discretion. So a track virgin will be at a disadvantage. Course familiarity is HUGE, and I had never been on that track before. Keep in mind that your instructor is with you in the car to keep you from doing the wrong things. He also can report unsportsmanlike like conducts from other drivers if he sees it. So things are well controlled. But it is still racing and speed is every where.

Knowing what I know now, I would not have taken my brand new Supra to a track like Wild Horse. It was not well marked and a very technical track to learn from.
Thank you for that detailed response. You have given me much to think about.

DvC

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
A couple are AZ tracks better suited to the Supra platform. At WHP I was smoking 700hp GTRs with my 300hp Fiesta ST due to it being technical and small which does not allow for more powerful cars to stretch their legs. IMO the best track in AZ is close to Tucson - INDE Motorsport Ranch. It has a beautiful facility and the track is fantastic, it is huge and fun to drive. Arizona Motorsports Park is fun as well but there is a db limit for exhaust noise you must pass before racing.

Last edited:

d0xic

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra A91-CF Nitro Yellow
Am coming up on 5K miles soon and thinking about getting oil change/servicing.

Curious how and where you guys get maintenance and servicing done on your cars in Phoenix?

Thanks in advance~

A91Refraction

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra

Curious how and where you guys get maintenance and servicing done on your cars in Phoenix?

Thanks in advance~
I work at Earnhardt Toyota in Mesa so that is who I trust with mine. :thumbsup:

DesertSupra2.0

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 2.0 21 Camry TRD 18 RX350 19 Outback

Thanks in advance~
Camelback Toyota. I requested to meet the Supra master tech who would be working on my car. My service advisor, who is great, made it happen. The person I met has worked there for, I think, 2 decades. I spent about 30min chatting with him and my service advisor about the car and all the nightmare stories about dealerships not doing a good job. He and the other designated Supra mechanic are the only 2 allowed to touch Supras. I was impressed with the gentleman I met, his training, the special (non Toyota) diagnostic tools and even his enthusiasm for the car. I have no concerns bringing the car to them. Just plan on leaving it for the day so they can do it correctly. They even have a good relationship with the BMW dealer next door should they need anything. My advice: meet the person working on your car and ask LOTS of questions. If you walk away confident, trust them. If you walk away not confident, walk away.

d0xic

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I work at Earnhardt Toyota in Mesa so that is who I trust with mine. :thumbsup:

Hihi~ Thanks, I remember reading a few pages ahead that you were working there but I didn't want to make assumptions since those posts were from a while back!

Hope you had a good day at the track with the car~ Am debating whether I should go with mine :)

d0xic

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Camelback Toyota. I requested to meet the Supra master tech who would be working on my car. My service advisor, who is great, made it happen. The person I met has worked there for, I think, 2 decades. I spent about 30min chatting with him and my service advisor about the car and all the nightmare stories about dealerships not doing a good job. He and the other designated Supra mechanic are the only 2 allowed to touch Supras. I was impressed with the gentleman I met, his training, the special (non Toyota) diagnostic tools and even his enthusiasm for the car. I have no concerns bringing the car to them. Just plan on leaving it for the day so they can do it correctly. They even have a good relationship with the BMW dealer next door should they need anything. My advice: meet the person working on your car and ask LOTS of questions. If you walk away confident, trust them. If you walk away not confident, walk away.

That sounds like a good experience, thanks for the info!!

SupraBAD

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2 Competition, '02 Ford Lightning
That sounds like a good experience, thanks for the info!!
I can also vouch for Earnhardt as I did my first and only oil change there before I got rid of my Supra. They used all the correct parts such as the GR specific oil.

SupraBAD

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2 Competition, '02 Ford Lightning
Hey any of you AZ peeps interested in a practically new OZ Racing wheel/tire set? I posted in the marketplace but so far no bites so I'm not sure if anyone in AZ has really seen my for sale post. I'm just trying to do a local sale and not trying to ship. I'm just looking to clear out my garage and make a little money back.

Here's the link to that post if anyone is interested.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/o-z-hyper-gt-hlt-local-pickup-in-az-only.11732/#post-175499

A91Refraction

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
Hihi~ Thanks, I remember reading a few pages ahead that you were working there but I didn't want to make assumptions since those posts were from a while back!

Hope you had a good day at the track with the car~ Am debating whether I should go with mine :)
HeyHey, track day was fun, glad I did it. Won't do it again, risk of possible damage had me a bit nervous on the second day watching others spin out. Did get some great pictures out of it as well.
Still definitely working here (parts manager), seems that is all I have done the last few months. Haven't had time to really drive it since or share my experience.
Will hopefully be more active on this forum once again now that I am back to full staff.

Happy New Year everyone!

Attachments

AdamP

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Car(s)
too many
Not sure if any of the people I met last weekend at Wild horse pass are on here but was great to see some supras at the track. Look forward to getting mine, when ever it shows up. GR86 was moving as well.

Attachments

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
Not sure if any of the people I met last weekend at Wild horse pass are on here but was great to see some supras at the track. Look forward to getting mine, when ever it shows up. GR86 was moving as well.

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
I am in Phoenix. Next event is Pro Auto at Amp Oct 1,2. Hope to see you out there.
773DA95D-5903-4777-AF1B-E1E031F241CF.jpeg

AdamP

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Car(s)
too many
Picked up a stratosphere blue yesterday for msrp... but was forced to buy a iPhone charger at 70 bucks. I'm an android user. Kinda shock Iphones have 70 dollar chargers. Lol like all things AZ already have rock chips in the bumper. Dang.

IMG_20221217_122011_219.jpg

Resized_Resized_20221217_165825.jpg
Sponsored