Advertisement

B48 4 cylinder Supra will come to US?

Discussion in 'B48 4-Cyl Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Bolt-Ons' started by Bruins71, Apr 29, 2019.

?

Would you be interested in a 255hp B48 Supra for $40k-$45k?

1. Yes

9.1%
  2. No

63.6%
  3. Maybe: If it came with a manual transmission.

27.3%
  1. Dannyvandelft

Dannyvandelft Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Danny
    Car(s):
    Ordered A91 edition Supra
    Liked:
    You're seriously comparing a BRZ to a Cayman....

There are soooooooo many variables there, I don't even know where to start. Chassis stiffness, quality of suspension, tire, front engine vs mid engine, overall build quality and chassis tuning. My God, you might as well compare a Chevy Volt to a Honda Civic Type R.

Anyway, back on topic, I don't think the balance between the I4 and I6 will matter much. IF there is any improvement at all, it'll be negated by the power difference.

2. ZDan

ZDan Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Car(s):
    '17 BRZ PP, '11 Cayman
    Liked:
    #107 Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    You see where I said "FWIW"? I put that in there for a reason...
    That said they are not *nearly* as far apart as you make them out to be. 14.1 lb/hp vs. 12.1 lb/hp is the major difference. My 2900 lb. BRZ on 245s all around has a tire width/vehicle weight advantage over 3200 lb. Cayman on 225/245 tires (weights with me in them). Times were surprisingly close at Thompson (CT). Big advantage to Cayman at Watkins Glen. But anyway, only submitted that as *anectodal* which I thought I made clear...

For sure the idea that "less weight on the front" equals "understeer" and the idea that "more weight in the back" means "when the back comes around there's no catching it" are misguided at best, and so is the idea that 50/50 weight distribution is "perfect". It's just not true, and I invite you to do further independent research on the subject.

Oh yeah, in terms of lap times the I-6 car will be much faster for sure. But I'd rather start with a slower 3272 lb. 50/50 car and $10k in my pocket than start with a 3372 lb. 51.5F/49.5R (Car and Driver July 2019), and empty pockets...

3. 2JZ-No-Sh*t

2JZ-No-Sh*t Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    My feet
    Liked:
    Don't worry too much. After a year or two of poor sales they'll probably pull it from the US market.

A70TTR likes this.