U.S.-Market Toyota Supra Four-Cylinder Officially Announced

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
I'm interested in see how this will compared with the upcoming GR86.
Will be way faster than 86, obviously.
That built N/A to 250hp in a 1250kg can be something on the other hand.
Sponsored

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
https://jalopnik.com/the-four-cylinder-supra-is-just-ok-1845105847

The Four-Cylinder Supra Is Just OK

Few cars have caused me as much inner conflict as the new Supra. Itā€™s so cool that this nameplate is back! Bummer itā€™s not an original Toyota product.

It looks incredible on the street! Shame itā€™s not exceptional to drive.

Now thereā€™s a less-expensive model, with a smaller engine, and Iā€™ll tell you what: Itā€™s alright.

(Full disclosure: Toyota loaned me a 2021 yellow four-cylinder Supra for a week to road test and an 2020 six-cylinder model. I have not driven the revised and significantly more powerful 2021 six-cylinder 3.0 model.)

I have a special love for ā€™90s tuner cars, of which the previous (fourth generation) Supra is a legend. Iā€™m not going to waste any time harping on that because itā€™s been rehashed over and over.

So letā€™s just say youā€™re a driving enthusiast (welcome!) thinking about getting a new sports car (sounds like fun), scratching your head at a Toyota store (letā€™s do it.)

For about $30,000 you could be into an 86. This dumb name is attached to a pretty great car with a 205-horsepower engine, rear-wheel drive, a three-pedal manual trans and even a rear seat adequate for shuttling small children in a pinch. (Itā€™s 200 HP if you choose the automatic transmission.)

The 86ā€™s biggest downside is unavoidably connected to what makes it great: The lack of insulation, vital to its light weight and fun demeanor also makes it noisy. The carā€™s not exactly cheap in dollar terms, but it feels it when you look around the cockpitā€™s slabby expanses and low-rez displays.

Stepping up to a Supra solves a lot of those livability weaknesses, though the suspension is set pretty tight and the ride is on the harsh side. Both the four- and six-cylinder Supras feel significantly more refined than even the nicer GT trim 86, though. In spite of its wild body styling, the Supra feels like a much more adult automotive choice, with a downright plush interior and quieter cockpit.

Youā€™re looking at about $45,000 for a four-cylinder 2.0 model (the two-liter engine, 255 HP); a nicely equipped six-cylinder 3.0 (yep, three-liter) is more like $55,000. But you end up giving up more than money for the tradeoffs compared with an 86. Simply put: The Supras Iā€™ve driven just donā€™t have as much flavor as Toyotaā€™s considerably cheaper manual-shift sports car, despite of their significant HP advantage.

So, why is the Supra, a cooler-looking performance car with more power, less fun to drive than its slower little sister?

You donā€™t need a comprehensive track test to figure this one out. The new Supra is a modern luxury car with a very stylish sports car body. The 86 is a competent execution of a classic formula: Manual shift, rear-drive, low curb weight.

Sports cars arenā€™t complicated. If nostalgia is what youā€™re sniffing for a hit of, the 86 is the car you want. The Supra may have the classic emblem but the 86 (aka FR-S; BRZ; GT86) is the closest thing to a great ā€™90s tuner car you can buy new right now. Well, that and Nissanā€™s 370Z. But weā€™re talking Toyotas today.

The fact that I set out to write about the 2021 Toyota Supra 2.0 and have spent most of this blog yapping about other cars should tell you something, but I donā€™t mean to dismiss the Supra.

The Supra 2.0 is really cool looking, gets a lot of attention from onlookers, feels plenty satisfying when you step on the gas and it most certainly does not feel slow. I already mentioned that itā€™s pretty comfortable to sit in, which becomes increasingly valuable with every minute you spend in it.

Thereā€™s not a lot going on inside the Supra, in terms of design or accessories. I donā€™t mind simplicity. In fact, Iā€™d say Iā€™m a fan. But the energy I got from a lot of the elements inside this car was more ā€œblandā€ than ā€œlean.ā€ Itā€™s a sea of blackness. Even the gauge cluster, which has the tachometer featured prominently ā€” something I love ā€” seems to hide information in an effort to put minimal color on any interior surface.

That big chunk of plastic in the bottom steering wheel spoke really bothers me, too. It makes the carā€™s main control look like a cheap toy.

As a sports car, a driverā€™s car, it left me a little unsatisfied. The bottom line is that Supra 2.0 just felt too numb to thrash and a touch too stiff luxuriate in. Frankly, I had the exact same problem in the 2020 six-cylinder car I drove. If your tastes differ, I could understand falling in love with the look and having enough fun with the novelty of a new Supra. Itā€™s not for me, though. Which feels weird to write, as a huge fan of the exterior design.

I mean, come on. There are so many of fun lines on it:

For those who do get seduced by the Supra, I would suggest seriously considering the 255-horsepower 2.0 over the 382-HP 3.0. The less expensive carā€™s got it where it counts: the name and the look. The acceleration is sufficient.

The last time I drove an in-line 6 Supra it made only 335 HP, and the bump for 2021 is pretty serious, but zoom isnā€™t what I thought the car was missing. Itā€™s soul that the car still needs to find, regardless of which engine it has.

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
Know this is an "older" thread but had to add this as i found it on another forum for a different vehicle but similar situation with the Supra whereas the V6 model has the power and the 2.0 version "seems" like an afterthought...

"This is mainly because of 2.0 version here has 247 HP and 3.3 version has 370 HP - and the annual tax rates for any car with engine power above 250 HP are large as hell :( The 3.3 version in Russia is really rare and suits only relatively rich driving enthusiasts, who can afford 1.5x fuel consumption (the gasoline fuel is really expensive here) and 4x annual tax rates if compared to much more popular 2.0 version"

This summed it up perfectly as to why Toyota decided to go with a 2.0 version.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
1996cc. Tbh even 1.6L is taxed high. Hence 1.0's, 1.2's in EU... Some countries go after emission levels. Haven't heard hp tax yet...

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
A few countries do have a horsepower tax. It just usually comes down to a displacement tax.

EnzoB

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
A few countries do have a horsepower tax. It just usually comes down to a displacement tax.
in Italy the difference btw the 3.0 model and the 2.0 it's huge (and this is the case in japan too i belive, and why they made a 260hp Version).
You rarely see 3.0s here or cars in general that are more than 300hp, Because the taxes are insanely high once you step out of 250hp, a 340hp car pays over 2k per year i belive while the 260hp version just 600.
Sponsored