max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
Update - JB+ worked as advertised. No check engine light and car pulls harder. Biggest thing I noticed was the cars back end gets loose way easier. All the peps with the same issue's as me should give the JB+ another shot.
Any indication from BMS if the original issue was board related?

I've had pretty clear hardware issues with my JB4, switching to weird map numbers and it's never been able to make noticeable power without hesitation or some other nasty side effect. The product is clearly not ready for prime time or I just have a rare bad board in mine.

The JB4 also isn't a plug 'n play piggyback. Even the basic 1-3 maps need tweaking, and you have to learn cryptic settings like "wastegate duty cycle", FF, etc and test them out. I've got a guy helping me and after a solid 30+ logs we still can't get it to operate smoothly. Burger motorsports would help but they're probably getting 100+ log review requests a day so they can't help dial you in.
If using the pre configured maps, no other settings need be adjusted (1 - 5). After that, WMI, E30, EWG adapters, need to be incorporated. MAP 6 is custom so approach with caution. As far as reading logs, there is a sticky on the below link that explains reading the logs but if you post there, someone in Terry's group will take a look. Sometimes, even Terry himself. They live on this forum

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/
Sponsored

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
Any indication from BMS if the original issue was board related?

If using the pre configured maps, no other settings need be adjusted (1 - 5). After that, WMI, E30, EWG adapters, need to be incorporated. MAP 6 is custom so approach with caution. As far as reading logs, there is a sticky on the below link that explains reading the logs but if you post there, someone in Terry's group will take a look. Sometimes, even Terry himself. They live on this forum

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/
Thanks, I've gone that route before but they don't really help except to provide basic assistance... Which is to be expected since they're doing it as a courtesy. I have generated about 100 logs, countless pulls, etc, and it's still not dialed in. Looks like a new board may have solved most of the issues so I may see light at the end of the tunnel. You can't just set to a map and forget it, unless you're bone stock otherwise. Also, map 1 and 2 are really the only maps that can be run out of the box safely on pump 93 octane.

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
The new JB+ arrived yesterday. So far, so good. No check engine light and the car runs the same as always in normal driving but pulls noticeably harder under WOT. It's not a hit of nitrous different but it is enough that I can feel a significant difference. Very happy with it now. I think the claim of around 40 additional wheel horsepower is pretty accurate.
Did you adjust the dial for more boost? Or running factory spec(12 o'clock)?

Steve

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
It arrived set at 3PM or +/- 4 lbs boost. I just left it. I might try turning it all the way up at some point.
If you decide to turn it up please keep us post..would like to know if there's any driveability issues...

Steve

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
Thanks, I've gone that route before but they don't really help except to provide basic assistance... Which is to be expected since they're doing it as a courtesy. I have generated about 100 logs, countless pulls, etc, and it's still not dialed in.
Not quite clear on the "dialed in" but if the firmware/board are the problem, then you are right, logs won't matter....if it is the board, I would not run any maps until unit got replaced or firmware got corrected.

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not quite clear on the "dialed in" but if the firmware/board are the problem, then you are right, logs won't matter....if it is the board, I would not run any maps until unit got replaced or firmware got corrected.
It's the fact that JB4 just isn't very good. Got a replacement board, and replacement Bluetooth adapter... Still garbage, and feels like I'm stomping on and off the throttle. Have a reputable tuner that has done dozens of these things.

redspencer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue Supra; Track-tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken TCD
If you decide to turn it up please keep us post..would like to know if there's any driveability issues...

Steve
Mine had been at the 4:30 position for months and I haven't encountered any problems with the JB+.

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
It's the fact that JB4 just isn't very good. Got a replacement board, and replacement Bluetooth adapter... Still garbage, and feels like I'm stomping on and off the throttle. Have a reputable tuner that has done dozens of these things.
Mine had been at the 4:30 position for months and I haven't encountered any problems with the JB+.
Just to be clear, we are talking about two separate devices here. The "JB+" is non-adjustable (only boost additive) and mainly sends intercepted signals to the MAP sensor about the volume of air coming through. The actual JB4 unit is a full piggyback that is similar in function but has the ability to dial in different levels of readings to the sensors and can adjust for different fuel quality.

I have had a JB4 on my Stinger for about a year and a half and depending on fuel quality, adjusts quite well depending on MAP. I get the most consistent performance on MAP 6 but this has to be approached with caution and does require log reading ability to use properly. Only somewhat familiar with the settings for the B58/B48 but they are comparable with how they function.

redspencer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue Supra; Track-tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken TCD
I'm using a JB+ and there's a small dial inside the unit that let's you increase and decrease the amount of additional boost over stock (0-4.5 psi according to BMS).

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just to be clear, we are talking about two separate devices here. The "JB+" is non-adjustable (only boost additive) and mainly sends intercepted signals to the MAP sensor about the volume of air coming through. The actual JB4 unit is a full piggyback that is similar in function but has the ability to dial in different levels of readings to the sensors and can adjust for different fuel quality.

I have had a JB4 on my Stinger for about a year and a half and depending on fuel quality, adjusts quite well depending on MAP. I get the most consistent performance on MAP 6 but this has to be approached with caution and does require log reading ability to use properly. Only somewhat familiar with the settings for the B58/B48 but they are comparable with how they function.
Yeah I understand all of that, I have a meth kit using their fsb, fuel it sensor, ewg, all tied in. It's garbage. My reference was to the fact that even their more expensive products are beta quality at best.

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
My reference was to the fact that even their more expensive products are beta quality at best.
My experience with the device does not leave me with that impression. That being said, I agree that it won't take the place of a full blown ECU tune ( my expectations with the device takes this into consideration). Unfortunately, an ECU tune is not possible at the moment. Pretty much any "piggyback" tune is going to be limited since there is no true access to the tables. Others may offer a different level of adjustment than the jb4 but they too, will be limited by the same lack of ECU table access.

thoma011

First Name
Tray
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 GR Premium
Man! I have loved reading this thread.. Literally had a JB+ in the cart, and started reading this, as I have same ECU date as Raidernation... after the first two pages, I was thinking "no way," but after the update, I just purchased.. looking forward to this one!
Thanks for all the updates Raidernation! Super helpful, man!
Sponsored