Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 2015 BMW 435xi
BMW manufactures their own batteries.

Pro tip for those who haven’t experienced them - once they’re dead they can’t be jumped, and you need to replace it with a BMW battery because they have a computer chip that tells the ECU how much charge it has. The cars will pull harder on an older battery to make sure the computer systems have enough juice. This also means the dealer has to install the battery to reset the ECU. Quite costly.

The battery can be recharged if it has drained completely. My previous BMW had sat on the lot so long that the battery had gone dead. The were able to recharge it and it worked fine for the next four years. I also had problems toward the ned of the battery's life. When I had to recharge it from dead again. It was an outside car, so the extremely cold winter didn't help things. I ended up replacing it because it was start to have consistent problems keep enough of a charge. BMW dealers charge between 5 to 600 to replace denpending on the dealer.
Sponsored

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
Strange... I have a Toyota battery in mine..

A324A395-DB28-475C-8B02-8EA9DD489A44.jpeg
Mine is Toyota as well. Likely same battery different label than the other one posted.

Yours was either changed at the dealership or Toyota finally has their own inventory in Austria. It is still a large bastard for a sports car at 90 AH.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
If it's not stamped Panasonic, then it's not a Toyota (Primearth) battery :)

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
The battery can be recharged if it has drained completely. My previous BMW had sat on the lot so long that the battery had gone dead. The were able to recharge it and it worked fine for the next four years. I also had problems toward the ned of the battery's life. When I had to recharge it from dead again. It was an outside car, so the extremely cold winter didn't help things. I ended up replacing it because it was start to have consistent problems keep enough of a charge. BMW dealers charge between 5 to 600 to replace denpending on the dealer.
Good to know. I said it couldn’t be jumped, which seems to be the case with these. Haven’t tried to recharge one with a charger.

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Here's a detailed discussion onbattery coding and the reason why these battery are sucked dry. Different battery type and capacity necessitate different charging voltage and duration.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1338302
That’s cool. I knew about the algorithm and having to reset it when a new battery is installed but I was not aware that you could specify the ah for a different battery type. Seems the aftermarket options are viable now.

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I thought batteries are big these days because of the start-stop thing.
I’m sure that’s some of it. It’s also due to the extensive use of electric accessories in BMWs (water pump, AC compressor, etc...), and also the large number of computer systems.

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
I bought one yesterday, Supra not the battery, and they had just replaced the battery. Apparently they had left it on with the instruments etc., and the battery was dead.

huntjunky

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Tacoma, Dodge Ram
My instrument cluster had a "replace battery" indication, when I bought the car. The dealership checked it out and it was just a software flash to address the issue. I'm sure it would have been a $500 replacement if it was on my bill. Just sayin

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
My instrument cluster had a "replace battery" indication, when I bought the car. The dealership checked it out and it was just a software flash to address the issue. I'm sure it would have been a $500 replacement if it was on my bill. Just sayin
Yep, same with mine... I drove a few long runs with it on and then took it to the dealership for clearing (re-registering it basically). I'd already been told that with some on their lot it took more than 8hrs for the charge computer to signal the OK and let it be registered... mine took barely 2 hours from drop off to pick up (they called at about 1.5 hours)... so it likely took the shortest time for verification as it was fully charged from driving.

If nothing else it's in the service history so I have proof it was them and not me that ran it down in the first place.

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
I’ve already had to replace my battery at around 5k miles. $650. :cry: That was $ I had saved for my front power brace. Dealer said the TX temp swings will eat these batteries up, and I should plan on replacing it every 4 months.

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I’ve already had to replace my battery at around 5k miles. $650. :cry: That was $ I had saved for my front power braces. Dealer said the TX temp swings will eat these batteries up, and I should plan on replacing it every 4 months.
man I gotta call BS on that! I live in the California desert and it regularly stays in the triple digits for weeks on end out here with daily temp swings of 20-30 degrees. This place is littered with BMWs and I highly doubt they’re all replacing their batteries every few months. Besides, a battery that fails “early” should be a warranty issue. Especially after only 4 months. I’d be looking for a new dealership

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I’ve already had to replace my battery at around 5k miles. $650. :cry: That was $ I had saved for my front power brace. Dealer said the TX temp swings will eat these batteries up, and I should plan on replacing it every 4 months.
they didn’t warranty it??

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
No warranty. Dealership says BMW batteries are not covered. 350 (including tax) of the cost was labor and “parts” (185.00). The battery itself was just under 300.

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Wut :hmm: .. what kinda temp swings are we talking about here. My mother and my gf both have bmws. Neither has had any issues.
Sponsored