Dead Battery

Meep

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Has anyone ever switched batteries for the car? My battery is 100% dead, tried jumping from front and back didn’t work. I put a battery tender on 12v but trunk light keeps flashing on and off. I also read that only the dealer can replace the battery because of an ecu programming? Wanted to see if anyone had experience switching it if it’s just the same pop out and pop in a new one
Sponsored

OP
OP
Meep

Meep

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Putting this out there in case anyone else runs into the issue of a completely dead battery. Tow provider came and ended up jumping the car by connecting a big jumper to the back of the car where the actual battery is and a smaller jumper on the front location. Only when both are attached the car started. I still ended up towing it to the dealership because I'd rather warranty the battery.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Putting this out there in case anyone else runs into the issue of a completely dead battery. Tow provider came and ended up jumping the car by connecting a big jumper to the back of the car where the actual battery is and a smaller jumper on the front location. Only when both are attached the car started. I still ended up towing it to the dealership because I'd rather warranty the battery.
When you get the car back, can you check voltage reading from your front terminal? Is it even connected on your car to the battery..

OP
OP
Meep

Meep

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
When you get the car back, can you check voltage reading from your front terminal? Is it even connected on your car to the battery..
Its connected, I hooked up a car battery to the front and electronics turned on, just wasnt enough to jump

Z4UPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Has anyone ever switched batteries for the car? My battery is 100% dead, tried jumping from front and back didn’t work. I put a battery tender on 12v but trunk light keeps flashing on and off. I also read that only the dealer can replace the battery because of an ecu programming? Wanted to see if anyone had experience switching it if it’s just the same pop out and pop in a new one
How long have you had your car? Did the battery just die out of nowhere?

I just started charging mine for the second time yesterday since it was reading 12.34 while not running. The first time I charged it was end of April 2021.

I wonder if I have to keep doing this every 6 months.

OP
OP
Meep

Meep

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
How long have you had your car? Did the battery just die out of nowhere?

I just started charging mine for the second time yesterday since it was reading 12.34 while not running. The first time I charged it was end of April 2021.

I wonder if I have to keep doing this every 6 months.
Had my car since beginning of July this year. I was checking for exhaust leaks because I installed a downpipe so I turned on and off the car 4 times and left the door open around 15 minutes? battery was completely dead.

Itengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Had my car since beginning of July this year. I was checking for exhaust leaks because I installed a downpipe so I turned on and off the car 4 times and left the door open around 15 minutes? battery was completely dead.

Do you have anything permanently connected to the OBD port? That device might be drawing current

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera
What the dealer is going to do is charge that battery back up and give it back to you

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Into the lighter or hard wired?
I wanna know too because I’m being lazy and haven’t hardwired mine with battery packs. Though if it’s just the lighter it should be safe right?

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
Nah only thing I had was a dash cam plugged in the 12volt
I wanna know too because I’m being lazy and haven’t hardwired mine with battery packs. Though if it’s just the lighter it should be safe right?
I remember this being permanently providing power. So always sucking power even when the vehicle is turned off. So you need to hardwire it to a power source that provides a few more minutes of energy before the car is turned off.

See my thread or others theirs about dashcams for more info:

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/wiring-dashcam-via-fuse-box-but-no-power.9880/

I'm confusing things. My bad. 12v "cigarette" lighter should be fine. As long as it stops providing power after around 6mins :p

OP
OP
Meep

Meep

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Into the lighter or hard wired?
I put it in the lighter, I also had a battery pack for the dash cam, Dealership replaced the battery for free tho because it was covered under warranty.

What the dealer is going to do is charge that battery back up and give it back to you
They put a new one in for sure because the new battery has a toyota sticker not a bmw one. Mightve been a defect, they said the battery was completely gone.

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera
They put a new one in for sure because the new battery has a toyota sticker not a bmw one. Mightve been a defect, they said the battery was completely gone.
Very nice, I'm surprised Toyota would brand a battery like this. Only 1 car uses it, the Supra. If they aren't used often enough, they would sit and go bad at the warehouse.
Sponsored