• Total voters

STV3

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
You could have this solved by an exhaust shop willing to build a helmholtz radiator and weld it on. You can get the annoying frequency from a number of smartphone apps; just run the app in the cabin and see what freq the mic picks up. From there, online calculators can easily spit out the correct piping+cannister length and diameter to cancel out that frequency.

Should only be a few hundred, rather than an entirely new exhaust (thousands).
Funny thing is the Magnaflow exhaust already has one of these built in to the end of the valved (pass side) pipe. It seems like it does nothing. Not saying that it couldn't work with the proper testing. I'm not really educated on how it works, but thats seems like more work than I am willing to put in. Plus I cant say I have any reputable performance exhaust shops by me. Wouldn't want to risk hacking up the exhaust.

1707357902531.png

Which downpipe? Regardless I would 100% get the AWE touring if you want loud, deep and zero drone / rattles inside. A few posts back I had mentioned this, but a high flow cat and the non resonated touring really is the best setup. Itā€™s phenomenal. I wouldnā€™t bother with HKS unless you want really quiet.
AA catted DP. Im honestly not that big of a fan of the way the AWE sounds. It gives off a deeper more bass-ey tone. I like a more throaty tone if that makes any sense.

Is the HKS really that quiet? I've never heard one in person. I am talking about the hi power, not the super turbo muffler one.
Sponsored

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ 3.0 Base
AA catted DP. Im honestly not that big of a fan of the way the AWE sounds. It gives off a deeper more bass-ey tone. I like a more throaty tone if that makes any sense.
Iā€™m telling you itā€™s an awesome combo, the non-res has plenty of character

ViperTwo4

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra GR 3.0
Funny thing is the Magnaflow exhaust already has one of these built in to the end of the valved (pass side) pipe. It seems like it does nothing. Not saying that it couldn't work with the proper testing. I'm not really educated on how it works, but thats seems like more work than I am willing to put in. Plus I cant say I have any reputable performance exhaust shops by me. Wouldn't want to risk hacking up the exhaust.

1707357902531.png

Is the HKS really that quiet? I've never heard one in person. I am talking about the hi power, not the super turbo muffler one.

Random tidbit, but as an owner of the Magnaflow Xmod...one thing I hate is that these tips are not replaceable and the dry carbon on mine is starting to not look to good.

STV3

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Random tidbit, but as an owner of the Magnaflow Xmod...one thing I hate is that these tips are not replaceable and the dry carbon on mine is starting to not look to good.
Yeah mine look pretty terrible as well after 2+ years. Apparently they wont sell you replacements either which is retarded because the whole selling point behind that exhaust is that it is modular.

Kracer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra!

You sure you're not confusing AWE with AFE? The AWE system to my ears is the most throaty and mid-range sound-weighted exhaust on the market, it's not bassy at all. Most of the systems out there are bassy and droney and get quieter the higher you rev it. AWE comes alive the higher it revs, truly a great piece IMO.

Also, here's my take on Japanese exhausts, someone can correct me if they think I'm getting it wrong:

Japan has extremely restrictive sound laws, worse than California. Therefore, all the Japanese brands made for their domestic market are super quiet (like HKS). Their domestic markets are their biggest markets, too, which is why they spend all their development resources on getting that quiet sound just right.

The export exhaust versions we get of Japanese exhausts all sound absolutely terrible to me. They're just "loud" with no sophistication, and tend to be very droney.

My theory is that because all the systems are made in Japanese factories, even though some are for export, they simply cannot properly develop the sound on the export models since they can't legally drive these exhausts on the street.

Further, I don't think they would even know how to tailor the sound to compensate, because they've never had the business case to develop advanced sound control techniques, since their core markets have to meet such extremely low sound volume limits.

It's really difficult from what I've learned to make a loud exhaust also sound amazing at every rev range and operating condition. So that's what you get with the Japanese systems: domestic market versions that are extremely quiet, or export versions that are just unsophisticated loud.

While the US brand exhausts may not be as visually pretty or "finely crafted" as the Japanese brands, I tend to prefer most of the sounds that the US brands make, which in the end is what you live with the most with an exhaust once it is installed.

But I've never been a hardcore JDM Head to begin with, so no inherent bias here towards brand.

My 2c.

Kyle

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ 3.0 Base
You sure you're not confusing AWE with AFE? The AWE system to my ears is the most throaty and mid-range sound-weighted exhaust on the market, it's not bassy at all. Most of the systems out there are bassy and droney and get quieter the higher you rev it. AWE comes alive the higher it revs, truly a great piece IMO.
exactly! See my post above

STV3

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Also, here's my take on Japanese exhausts, someone can correct me if they think I'm getting it wrong:

Japan has extremely restrictive sound laws, worse than California. Therefore, all the Japanese brands made for their domestic market are super quiet (like HKS). Their domestic markets are their biggest markets, too, which is why they spend all their development resources on getting that quiet sound just right.

The export exhaust versions we get of Japanese exhausts all sound absolutely terrible to me. They're just "loud" with no sophistication, and tend to be very droney.

My theory is that because all the systems are made in Japanese factories, even though some are for export, they simply cannot properly develop the sound on the export models since they can't legally drive these exhausts on the street.

Further, I don't think they would even know how to tailor the sound to compensate, because they've never had the business case to develop advanced sound control techniques, since their core markets have to meet such extremely low sound volume limits.

It's really difficult from what I've learned to make a loud exhaust also sound amazing at every rev range and operating condition. So that's what you get with the Japanese systems: domestic market versions that are extremely quiet, or export versions that are just unsophisticated loud.

While the US brand exhausts may not be as visually pretty or "finely crafted" as the Japanese brands, I tend to prefer most of the sounds that the US brands make, which in the end is what you live with the most with an exhaust once it is installed.

But I've never been a hardcore JDM Head to begin with, so no inherent bias here towards brand.

My 2c.

Kyle
exactly! See my post above
I know the topic of this thread is debating what the best exhaust system is. I just figured I'd post my question here instead of making a new thread since there is a lot of experiences with all the different exhausts offered for our car. Although, I should probably make a thread regarding oil......... šŸ¤”

When I was choosing what exhaust to get 2 years ago I had it narrowed down to HKS and Magnaflow purely based off what I thought sounded best to me. I ended up choosing the Magnaflow because of the modularity and swappable mufflers.

I'm really just looking to see if anyone has had seat time with both exhaust systems and can tell me how that 2k rpm drone zone while cruising is on the HKS compared to the Magna.

I do appreciate everyone's input though. Who knows, maybe ill run into another Supra with an AWE exhaust and absolutely love it in person. Trying to judge an exhaust via youtube video sound clips never really does them justice.

Kracer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra!
I'm really just looking to see if anyone has had seat time with both exhaust systems and can tell me how that 2k rpm drone zone while cruising is on the HKS compared to the Magna.

If no drone is your goal, AWE Touring should be on your list, 100%.

Trust me, this is the exhaust that ticks all the boxes: throaty, exciting as you rev out, zero drone, and great fitment.

Sounds like you got burned by Magnaflow's drone issues and now are looking to go way too conservative. You can have both full-throttle-loud and part-throttle-tame in the AWE Touring.

(AWE Track is a whole different beast, by the way, with lower cost comes drone)

/IMO

Kyle

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ 3.0 Base
I know the topic of this thread is debating what the best exhaust system is. I just figured I'd post my question here instead of making a new thread since there is a lot of experiences with all the different exhausts offered for our car. Although, I should probably make a thread regarding oil......... šŸ¤”

When I was choosing what exhaust to get 2 years ago I had it narrowed down to HKS and Magnaflow purely based off what I thought sounded best to me. I ended up choosing the Magnaflow because of the modularity and swappable mufflers.

I do appreciate everyone's input though. Who knows, maybe ill run into another Supra with an AWE exhaust and absolutely love it in person. Trying to judge an exhaust via youtube video sound clips never really does them justice.
Next time I'm in NY......

STV3

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If no drone is your goal, AWE Touring should be on your list, 100%.

Trust me, this is the exhaust that ticks all the boxes: throaty, exciting as you rev out, zero drone, and great fitment.

Sounds like you got burned by Magnaflow's drone issues and now are looking to go way too conservative. You can have both full-throttle-loud and part-throttle-tame in the AWE Touring.

(AWE Track is a whole different beast, by the way, with lower cost comes drone)

/IMO

Kyle
I'll do some Youtube watchin with headphones in tonight to see if I can get behind this exhaust.

Kracer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra!
I'll do some Youtube watchin with headphones in tonight to see if I can get behind this exhaust.
Straight from their youtube channel, put this in your playlist:

I think they recommend resonated Touring for use with a highflow DP, which is in this video.

That song as they rev it out is such music to me.

I run factory DP with non-res Touring. Zero drone.

Kyle

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ 3.0 Base
I think they recommend resonated Touring for use with a highflow DP, which is in this video.
They do, but I am telling you the non-res touring + AA Catted DP is the absolute best setup I have heard online and in person. Its phenomenal and I posted a clip above

ky.supra

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
My setup is ARK DTS exhaust paired with Armytrix cerakoted catless downpipe. I haven't seen a lot of people run this setup and I think its one of the best sounding setups out there.

Sponsored