Best tire size for street/light track work?

lordwalker

First Name
Walker
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0 Premium, Macan GTS, RS5, Model Y
Hi MKV owners & track rats--

What tire size would you go with on aftermarket staggered 19s (TE37) for mostly street and some weekend track use?

Thoughts on 275/35/19 + 305/30/19 or 265/35/19 + 285/35/19? Or would you try and get as close to a square tire size as possible? Likely going with PS4S or Advan APEX.

Eventually will go 18" square setup but until then would like a set that can do street driving well but put up with a lap or two on track.

Thanks
Sponsored

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
The main issue with running staggered 19s on the track is the cost of the tires. Typically 19s are significantly more expensive than 18s, and obviously you can't really rotate them.

Square tires/wheels do reduce understeer/push in corners a little and improve turn-in, but that's really just a secondary benefit IMHO. I was able to get plenty of rotation on track with the staggered OEM PSSs.

Didn't really offer an opinion, but hopefully this will help you with your decision.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
If/when I were to do it again I would go straight to a square setup. Lots of dual purpose tire options. I've personally had great success with RE-71RS, Continental Extremecontact Force and PS4S.

OP
OP
lordwalker

lordwalker

First Name
Walker
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The main issue with running staggered 19s on the track is the cost of the tires. Typically 19s are significantly more expensive than 18s, and obviously you can't really rotate them.

Square tires/wheels do reduce understeer/push in corners a little and improve turn-in, but that's really just a secondary benefit IMHO. I was able to get plenty of rotation on track with the staggered OEM PSSs.

Didn't really offer an opinion, but hopefully this will help you with your decision.
Yeah will eventually swap to square 18s but probably after I get coilovers for more clearance. For now I guess will run 265/35/19 and 285/35/19

OP
OP
lordwalker

lordwalker

First Name
Walker
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If/when I were to do it again I would go straight to a square setup. Lots of dual purpose tire options. I've personally had great success with RE-71RS, Continental Extremecontact Force and PS4S.
Conti ECF is the OEM for the ZL1 1LE right? Too aggressive for a daily tire or is it decent enough on the street like a RS4 or 615k?

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah will eventually swap to square 18s but probably after I get coilovers for more clearance. For now I guess will run 265/35/19 and 285/35/19
That'll work out great 👍

I'm currently running 18x10.7 et 38 with 275-35R18 on the stock springs/dampers with SPL parts, F&R swaybars, 15mm spacers all around, and -3.0 degrees of front camber. I didn't want to wait for coilovers, but they are the next mod on my list.

As far as tires, Conti ECF will work out great for street/track duty. They wear very slowly and should provide plenty of cold temperature grip. You're not going to be as fast as you would with "Super 200s" like the Nankang CR-S or the Yokohama A051, but these will be better for street driving.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Conti ECF is the OEM for the ZL1 1LE right? Too aggressive for a daily tire or is it decent enough on the street like a RS4 or 615k?

I think ZL1's come with Goodyear SC3. I'm running the ECF on both of my Corvettes since for now I don't want to mess with my trailer or switch wheels at the track. So far they've been a great dual purpose tire and work well in the wet. I drove 180 miles to VIR, ran all weekend and then back home, etc.. The ECF are definitely an endurance tire; 6 track days and a few thousand street miles and there's at least 1/2 of the tread remaining. Pace-wise they are definitely a bit behind the other 200TWs but that's the trade off for the incredible wear characteristics.

OP
OP
lordwalker

lordwalker

First Name
Walker
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That'll work out great 👍

I'm currently running 18x10.7 et 38 with 275-35R18 on the stock springs/dampers with SPL parts, F&R swaybars, 15mm spacers all around, and -3.0 degrees of front camber. I didn't want to wait for coilovers, but they are the next mod on my list.

As far as tires, Conti ECF will work out great for street/track duty. They wear very slowly and should provide plenty of cold temperature grip. You're not going to be as fast as you would with "Super 200s" like the Nankang CR-S or the Yokohama A051, but these will be better for street driving.
Nice, you running the Titan7s? My next mods will probably be the SPL parts, pads & fluid. Might do the ECF then, seems like people are happy with them. Or might just get cheap daily tires like Advan APEX then get ECF on a set of 18s

OP
OP
lordwalker

lordwalker

First Name
Walker
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think ZL1's come with Goodyear SC3. I'm running the ECF on both of my Corvettes since for now I don't want to mess with my trailer or switch wheels at the track. So far they've been a great dual purpose tire and work well in the wet. I drove 180 miles to VIR, ran all weekend and then back home, etc.. The ECF are definitely an endurance tire; 6 track days and a few thousand street miles and there's at least 1/2 of the tread remaining. Pace-wise they are definitely a bit behind the other 200TWs but that's the trade off for the incredible wear characteristics.
Sounds solid, looks like I'll probably go with ECFs when I get back into track driving-- do you have any track time on the v730? Seems like that's another popular one that wears decently

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yup, running T-R10s with Kuhmo V730s. I haven't had them one-track yet, but I'm already pretty impressed with them on the backroads. First track day with the V730s is June 10th.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds solid, looks like I'll probably go with ECFs when I get back into track driving-- do you have any track time on the v730? Seems like that's another popular one that wears decently

No experience with the V730. If you want a tire that will live a long life on and off the track then you really can't beat the ECF. If you're looking for a dedicated track tire on a separate set of wheels and are chasing a number then I would go with one of the grippier super 200s. If you want endurance on track then ECF all the way.

Traxion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I rode along in my instructor's car (also a supra driver, running about 450hp with some aero) during one of his sessions at my last event and he was running V730s on 18-inch squared. I was impressed with them for the most part. In 275/18 they are also much cheaper than any other tire coming in at 225 per tire from tirerack. ECF comes in at 341 so it'd have to last 50% longer to make the price value worth it and by my best guess I wouldn't think that'd be the case.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not apples to apples, but in my experience the ECF easily last 50% longer than RE71-RS in both treadwear and heat cycles.

AP1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GR
265/35/19 and 285/35/19 with PS4S was huge improvement over stock. I used to have wheel spin while pushing hard acceleration up to 3rd gear. Now - almost nothing. It increased out of turn exit speed too.
Sponsored