Sereph102889

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
I have some toyo R888R 4,000 miles went 10.70 still no issues.
How's the grip and ability to hook down low, like first, second, third, compared to the stock tires?
Sponsored

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I'm a big, big fan of the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. I've never had them on this vehicle, however. They are an awesome dry weather 200TW tire for track/street use. They are pretty good on a wet track/road but do not do well in standing water. If you plan on driving the car a lot in the rain (and hence puddles) on the street, I'd likely avoid them. If you typically only drive in dry sunny weather, and may be caught out in a sprinkle, as I am, they are likely fine. It's what I plan on replacing the stock tires with when they're worn. I would expect no more than 3k - 4k miles out of them with track/autocross/street driving.

Ghostop

First Name
John snow
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Zl1 10sp 2017 civic type r
What pressure are you running these at the track. I've been trying to dial mine in.
About 22 psi is the sweet spot for our track. No issue down low just get ready to control the car a bit.
When I did my 10.70 pass I just warmed up the car no burnout just a 2’d gear launch first pass of its night. ToyoR888R have really good grip for the 600-700 hp range in my opinion.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
About 22 psi is the sweet spot for our track. No issue down low just get ready to control the car a bit.
When I did my 10.70 pass I just warmed up the car no burnout just a 2’d gear launch first pass of its night. ToyoR888R have really good grip for the 600-700 hp range in my opinion.
I'm good with controlling it. I might as well give 22 a try on Tuesday. I've yet to find the sweetspot for the track here. I'm also not in the 10s. Somewhere in 11.1 - 11.3 when it hooks, but my 60' is dogshit, though that's mostly because I don't know how to drive.

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
Unfortunately there isn’t a tire that is great at everything. Few questions:

1) Is your car a daily and would have to drive in heavy rain?
2) Are you tuned or stock power?
3) Do you only have one set of wheels?

Sounds like you’re mostly unhappy with grip on stock tires (PSS?) and want to lay down the power with minimal wheel spin. If that’s the case, you would need to go to a 200TW tire or less, which will sacrifice longevity and in most cases have poor heavy rain performance. Standing water will be scary to drive in (first hand experience there).

Goodyear Eagle Supercar 3R (or non “R” for less grip but more life) would be one of my first choices if you don’t have to drive in a lot of rain. According to tests, reviews, and actual track times, their grip is better than Toyo R888R’s, and just slightly better Yokohama A052’s or Falken RT660’s. The last two I have personal experience with. A052’s dry grip is pretty insane for track use but wear super, super fast. Falken RT660’s are not as grippy but last longer. I’ve driven on the rain on both and prefer how the RT660’s feel.

Michelin PS4S will be a great all around daily driver street tire with good rain performance but you will still get tire spin in lower gears. A friend has them on his M2C and he spins in lower gears.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
As people have mentioned the R888 and the NT555. I believe throtl did some reviews of a tire they’ve been running but I can’t remember what it was

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
I've heard a 285 is too narrow, especially for a E50 tune. I had a stage 2 ots map on my stock 275's and it wasn't fun. I'd recommend going with at least a 295 rear. I'll be upgrading to the 4s's my self.

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Goodyear supercar 3 can last depending how you drive. My boy put over 20k on his 1LE with them. As long as it’s not too cold they had excellent grip. Your profile says Guyton, I’m assuming Ga. my brother lives there if so and I lived in Savannah for some time, so you’ll get some rain and those do decent.

the new Nitto 555 Rii drag tire will get you 10k miles, and be ok in the rain. I run the NT05 and they are not the greatest In the rain though are better then MT street R’s by far. I have over 3k on the NT05 and mic’ing them they are fine, I have no doubt I’ll get 10k out of them. Since I live in the desert the rain isn’t a worry. They handle just fine for daily driving.

Nitto 555 G2 are garbage. One of the worst tires I’ve ever had. My 2018 Mustang GT with 305 G2 would spin 1-4 with zero issue. It was just FBO and same whp as the Supra but far less torque. But they last forever.

Michelin pilot sport 4s are really good, one of the best overall street tires I’ve ever had. But from a dig you’ll still have traction issues.
those are the tires I’ve had experience with, when I wear the NT05 out I’ll be going to 555 Rii

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I've heard a 285 is too narrow, especially for a E50 tune. I had a stage 2 ots map on my stock 275's and it wasn't fun. I'd recommend going with at least a 295 rear. I'll be upgrading to the 4s's my self.
285's are actually decent for me. On a stage 2 e30 tune myself and it spins a little, but when it's spinning, i can feel the car spinning in a more forward motion rather than fishtailling. It's quick to hook too, like from a 2nd gear roll with no warm up, the moment it reaches around 5-5500rpm, it starts to hook and hooks all other gears for me... and that's on 4S's. The tires you'll be upgrading to.

OP
OP
Sereph102889

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Unfortunately there isn’t a tire that is great at everything. Few questions:

1) Is your car a daily and would have to drive in heavy rain?
2) Are you tuned or stock power?
3) Do you only have one set of wheels?

Sounds like you’re mostly unhappy with grip on stock tires (PSS?) and want to lay down the power with minimal wheel spin. If that’s the case, you would need to go to a 200TW tire or less, which will sacrifice longevity and in most cases have poor heavy rain performance. Standing water will be scary to drive in (first hand experience there).

Goodyear Eagle Supercar 3R (or non “R” for less grip but more life) would be one of my first choices if you don’t have to drive in a lot of rain. According to tests, reviews, and actual track times, their grip is better than Toyo R888R’s, and just slightly better Yokohama A052’s or Falken RT660’s. The last two I have personal experience with. A052’s dry grip is pretty insane for track use but wear super, super fast. Falken RT660’s are not as grippy but last longer. I’ve driven on the rain on both and prefer how the RT660’s feel.

Michelin PS4S will be a great all around daily driver street tire with good rain performance but you will still get tire spin in lower gears. A friend has them on his M2C and he spins in lower gears.
Car isn't a daily, but driving in rain occasionally will be a thing. The car is currently undergoing an E50 custom tune and spins even in 3rd from about 2k-4kish before it hooks.

I'm looking for something that can grip down low and fit on the factory wheels. It's looking like R888R's. I know they aren't the greatest for wet conditions but they can atleast handle water if you're careful.

OP
OP
Sereph102889

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm a big, big fan of the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. I've never had them on this vehicle, however. They are an awesome dry weather 200TW tire for track/street use. They are pretty good on a wet track/road but do not do well in standing water. If you plan on driving the car a lot in the rain (and hence puddles) on the street, I'd likely avoid them. If you typically only drive in dry sunny weather, and may be caught out in a sprinkle, as I am, they are likely fine. It's what I plan on replacing the stock tires with when they're worn. I would expect no more than 3k - 4k miles out of them with track/autocross/street driving.
The car isn't a daily and will likely only see about 4k-5k miles a year. I typically don't have to drive in a lot of heavy/standing rain. It's looking like the R888R and Cup 2 R's will be good options.

Supra 9

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra primium 3.0
Are you tuned? How's the ability to hook in the lower gears? I'm looking for a tire that can restore some low gear grip, currently my stock tires can't hook at all in first or second, and spins halfway through third.
As you know 2021 is locked, I'm currently running JB4 with custom tune by @DaBears yeah I get very good hook, no problem at all with the gripping...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sereph102889

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
As you know 2021 is locked, I'm currently running JB4 with custom tune by @jessedabears yeah I get very good hook, no problem at all with the gripping...
Not all 2021's are locked, my car is a 2021 and I wasn't locked.
Sponsored