BMW insider: "385 hp Supra model is coming"

Toyotawild

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
07 Toyota Tundra supercharged, 03 Acura cls-6
Yes you are correct the B58D in the z4 uses the regular style manifold. I dont think I care for the pieces of flex it integrates into the manifold for the end cylinders I could see the flex pieces being an issue over time.
Sponsored

Toyotawild

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The new civic type r uses a 4 into 1 headifold. Makes power with a tune pretty easily from what I've read. On bimmerpost I heard the newer M cars will be doing a headifold also. I think Toyota wanted the best possible scenario to reduce emissions. Since that's why the mkiv was forced out of U.S. production in 98

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
The new civic type r uses a 4 into 1 headifold. Makes power with a tune pretty easily from what I've read. On bimmerpost I heard the newer M cars will be doing a headifold also. I think Toyota wanted the best possible scenario to reduce emissions. Since that's why the mkiv was forced out of U.S. production in 98
The best example of the headifold is the MK7 Golf with the EA888. That engine is a beast! It is a tiny four cylinder that can handle 700 horsepower on the stock head.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
^^ To your point, sometime back A70 had mentioned the current B58 in the Supra which has the integrated exhaust manifold was tested by the development team in at least one prototype car up to 600-700hp. No mention of what was done to get there, how well it ran or what the expected lifespan loss was like at that tune assuming a stock bottom and top end but if true then your hunch may be correct. At least to a point.

Does this higher spec B58 “D” retain the integrated exhaust manifold or does it get the traditional 6-port head that the 382hp Z4 already has?
Actually, it was never specified if that engine was the integrated or non integrated engine. They just said, "the current engine has been tested to 700hp without issue." I do however think we all assumed, myself included, that this was the integrated manifold version due to being released worldwide with that powerplant, but it could have been the other motor too.

AsupramkvC

First Name
Gerich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I would prefer to drive a less powerful Supra with manual transmission anytime, any day, rather than the one with a more powerful motor that is automatic.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
If I am not mistaken the B58D is simply the B58B30O1, or the regular manifold variant.
Thanks for clearing that up! So then it does seem that the regular manifold variant will be a possibility for a future Supra trim level.

Actually, it was never specified if that engine was the integrated or non integrated engine. They just said, "the current engine has been tested to 700hp without issue." I do however think we all assumed, myself included, that this was the integrated manifold version due to being released worldwide with that powerplant, but it could have been the other motor too.
Thank you for addressing this, A70! If I did not accurately recall any of what you'd mentioned months ago and thus misquoted you by mistake then my apologies. My aim was to address the potential strength of the engine that we've already got coming into the dealers now.

But as you say... once we all understood that the engine being released would be the "headifold" B58 it did seem at the time that what you'd mentioned applied directly to that "headifold" B58C rather than non-integrated B58 found in the Z4 40i.

Many possibilities so far and all of them very good ones! A durability tested B58 variant that has no trouble pushing 700hp is pretty nice!

I would prefer to drive a less powerful Supra with manual transmission anytime, any day, rather than the one with a more powerful motor that is automatic.
I'm all for more powerful variants and the GRMN no matter what transmission options are available but I completely feel the same way you do, AsupramkvC. The current 3.0L model has pretty good power as it is and even a stout manual and stout clutch in the "335hp" Supra would be extremely welcome.

My preference will always be whichever Supra variant has a manual transmission option hands down regardless of stock power rating.

But I fully expect one or more higher rated trim levels (any of those with a manual would be great!) and for those to be awesome machines that we'll love just as much as the current 2020 first year Supras.

Toyotawild

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What I'm wondering is if the fueling capability will be capable of more power in the b58c with the headifold because of not needing as much fuel to cool combustion chambers like the b58d.

Toyotawild

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The b58c and b58d make the same torque with dyno tests showing 34 more hp to the b58d. Wonder if the b58c will actually make more torque with faster turbo spool. Does the b58D in the z4 also have the three separate cooling systems like the supra's b58c?

Toyotawild

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I did some vin number searches beyond what all the LE supras are. It goes past what the current date is for a production date. All engines still show B58c.
Alcantara seats do show on vins

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I did some vin number searches beyond what all the LE supras are. It goes past what the current date is for a production date. All engines still show B58c.
Alcantara seats do show on vins
As posted earlier:
"I was able to find 12 B58D cars with VINs WZ1DB0C09LW020384 thru WZ1DB0C09LW020395 here

There's nothing special about them other than that from what I am seeing except a couple of them have Style 761 wheels (5 series M Performance 18s)"

Toyotawild

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Interesting. Good find. So they did 12 b58d test mules in march.
Then continued with b58c production cars.

Toyotawild

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I kind of wish they would just stick with the b58c and let everybody modify the one head. Having a change is going to require the aftermarket to build multiple exhaust platforms for turbos and maybe ecu tunes
Sponsored