Bought 3 months ago.......good equity

xcantuaj

First Name
Lex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Jeep JL, Ford F150
I bought my supra before the chip shortage and now have good equity. Its my weekend car but the money I can make on it is tempting. What to do ......
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Really depends on what you'll replace it with. Or not going to replace?

OP
OP

xcantuaj

First Name
Lex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Jeep JL, Ford F150
Something useful and convertible......Jeep Gladiator.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
I view it like the housing situation in a lot of places right now. We bought our house, and immediately after we did, the value skyrocketed. First reaction is "sweet, now I have a bunch of equity, maybe I should sell", but then after you think about it for a half a second you realize that any other house you would want to buy has also increased in value just as much, so you're really no better off than you were before.

Same goes for the car. Yes you could sell and make a profit, but unless you just want to give up on having a fun weekend toy, any other car you might buy is demanding well over MSRP and you'd just dump all of that profit you made back into overpaying for a replacement.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I view it like the housing situation in a lot of places right now. We bought our house, and immediately after we did, the value skyrocketed. First reaction is "sweet, now I have a bunch of equity, maybe I should sell", but then after you think about it for a half a second you realize that any other house you would want to buy has also increased in value just as much, so you're really no better off than you were before.

Same goes for the car. Yes you could sell and make a profit, but unless you just want to give up on having a fun weekend toy, any other car you might buy is demanding well over MSRP and you'd just dump all of that profit you made back into overpaying for a replacement.
Houses are different that weekend toys. You can sell this for the profit, throw the cash in QQQ or VTT or whatever, wait until the market quiets down, and buy another one at MSRP in 6 months.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Houses are different that weekend toys. You can sell this for the profit, throw the cash in QQQ or VTT or whatever, wait until the market quiets down, and buy another one at MSRP in 6 months.
You’re right, but 6 months is very optimistic. I’m an EE, supply chains are completely fucked right now and they’re getting worse. I would honestly be surprised if this situation was resolved before 2023 (I don’t mean the 2023 model year, I mean the calendar year). We’re probably looking at 2+ years before you’ll be able to buy Supras below MSRP again like you could 6 months ago.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
I feel like 6 months is optimistic lol

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
You’re right, but 6 months is very optimistic. I’m an EE, supply chains are completely fucked right now and they’re getting worse. I would honestly be surprised if this situation was resolved before 2023 (I don’t mean the 2023 model year, I mean the calendar year). We’re probably looking at 2+ years before you’ll be able to buy Supras below MSRP again like you could 6 months ago.
This lol I’m an ME and a design engineer and our supplies are so fd up right now.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
you'd just dump all of that profit you made back into overpaying for a replacement.
Not necessarily true if you're buying new. They've not gone up in price. You're in luck if you're getting a discount but not 30% like the used market. With some you're not getting tech stuff like wireless charger....

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
My dad use to always tell me I was a DUD.

Like literally.. must be nice having cool acronyms.

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
I agree with those above. You may sell high, but you'll buy high too when you go to replace it unless you get really lucky with some deal, so probably going to be a wash. The only people profiting are those selling their cars and riding their bicycles lol

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I agree with those above. You may sell high, but you'll buy high too when you go to replace it unless you get really lucky with some deal, so probably going to be a wash. The only people profiting are those selling their cars and riding their bicycles lol
and folks who have multiple cars and the Supra is a toy (me). I could sell it, and definitely don’t need to replace it.

Kiske

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1988 FC3S, 2015 Evo X FE, 2018 tS, 2021 A90 3.0
and folks who have multiple cars and the Supra is a toy (me). I could sell it, and definitely don’t need to replace it.
Same boat. At this point I think I've gave up on the idea of affording a 911 GT3 or a GT4 before they go electric so the Supra was a nice alternative that doesn't tread onto my other cars.

That being said, as soon as Toyota decides to do a performance packages/final edition MKV... I'll be at the dealer soon as I get her back to stock.
Sponsored