brake pads for track use

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Just throwing my .02 out there and also recommending CSG pads. I use the C21 fronts (you should pair with C11 rear for best balance). They do eat rotors quickly. My replacement Zimmermann rotors from FCP Euro last about a season, or 12-15 track days.

Just installed my second pair, and will return my used ones back to FCP for a refund. Free rotors for life!
Gotta love FCP Euro!
Sponsored

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Just throwing my .02 out there and also recommending CSG pads. I use the C21 fronts (you should pair with C11 rear for best balance). They do eat rotors quickly. My replacement Zimmermann rotors from FCP Euro last about a season, or 12-15 track days.

Just installed my second pair, and will return my used ones back to FCP for a refund. Free rotors for life!
I've asked about this a few times and nobody is willing to reply. I keep reading about how long CSG pads last, but then I ask "..but what about the rotors?". I get crickets LOL. If rotors are cheaper than pads, then this is fine, otherwise no. Also, I'd much rather frequently change out pads than rotors.

re: FCP Euro: which model are you guys buying the rotors for?

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I've asked about this a few times and nobody is willing to reply. I keep reading about how long CSG pads last, but then I ask "..but what about the rotors?". I get crickets LOL. If rotors are cheaper than pads, then this is fine, otherwise no. Also, I'd much rather frequently change out pads than rotors.

re: FCP Euro: which model are you guys buying the rotors for?
z4 m40i

btw I am still on original oem rotors after 15 track days.

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
I couldn't seem to find any rotors listed but I'll keep trying.
These are the ones I use. Links to different sides below:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-brake-disc-zimmermann-34116860912

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-brake-disc-zimmermann-34116860911

First set you pay for, the rest will be free thanks to FCP Euro, so no worries about rotor cost for me. Like I said earlier, they last between 12-15 track days for me, but I drive my car hard every session. Front pads last around the same time.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
These are the ones I use. Links to different sides below:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-brake-disc-zimmermann-34116860912

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-brake-disc-zimmermann-34116860911

First set you pay for, the rest will be free thanks to FCP Euro, so no worries about rotor cost for me. Like I said earlier, they last between 12-15 track days for me, but I drive my car hard every session. Front pads last around the same time.
Just FYI, if you care, these rotors are heavier than stock since they are fully iron and don't have the pressed in aluminum hat like OEM.

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just FYI, if you care, these rotors are heavier than stock since they are fully iron and don't have the pressed in aluminum hat like OEM.
Donā€™t really care but thanks for that, didnā€™t know. Whatā€™s the weight difference?

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Donā€™t really care but thanks for that, didnā€™t know. Whatā€™s the weight difference?
No idea. Weigh a set when you refresh them!

Looks like the OEM rotors from FCP aren't much more. Although it looks like the part numbers are the same so maybe they are OEM? Do you have the little dimples in the sides of the hat like in this photo?

Front-BMW-Brake-discs-348x36mm-34116860911-34116860912-BMW-G20-G29-G30-G12-G01-Toyota-Supra-3-...jpg

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I searched my vehicle and typed in "rotors" but got nothing WTF? šŸ˜‚
Thanks guys.

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
No idea. Weigh a set when you refresh them!

Looks like the OEM rotors from FCP aren't much more. Although it looks like the part numbers are the same so maybe they are OEM? Do you have the little dimples in the sides of the hat like in this photo?

Front-BMW-Brake-discs-348x36mm-34116860911-34116860912-BMW-G20-G29-G30-G12-G01-Toyota-Supra-3-...jpg
I have a worn set of each now, OEM and the FCP ones. Iā€™ll weight them lol.

Donā€™t think the Zimmermann have the dimples

ADracing

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
My experience so far.

I did a cool track day on stock pads/fluid when I first got the car. Was a bit kinder to it than my next experience, and I used up a lot of the stock pads, but other than that had no major issues.

For the second track day I put CSG C21 front /C11 rear pads and bled with RBF 660. Much hotter day.

Bed in procedure was driving 2 minutes to my hotel with only a few lights (braking normal pressure). Then driving another 5-10 minutes to the track (some hard stops along the way). Then I immediately went on track with hard braking moments. By the end of the 3rd lap I was having some shaking when braking, but by end of the first session the car was shaking pretty violently (only when braking).

We tried bleeding brakes a ton of times because originally felt like abs kicking on so thought there may be air bubbles. But even after bleeding many times I'm getting it by end of lap 1 or lap 2 as speeds and temps come up.

So basically, we assumed the rotors became warped almost immediately from these pads. To be fair it was a hot day and I wasn't being kind to them on track, but I thought the stock rotors could handle these pads?

For street driving they are okay, but as temps start coming up on track it gets progressively worse.
  • Has anyone else experienced this warping so quickly?
  • Do I go with the FCP Euro replacements or will I be in the same situation?
  • Was my bed-in procedure the issue?
  • Did I bleed incorrectly?
  • They aren't visibly warped when I spin the wheel and look with the wheel off/car in the air, do I see if somebody can machine the stock rotors first and see if that helps before proceeding?
Thanks in advance

ADracing

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Also, can somebody clarify these sku's?

Both have the same model number but they are priced quite differently and have different sku's. Both left sided. One came up when searching z4 m40i and the other was linked in this thread.

option 1

option 2

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
My experience so far.

I did a cool track day on stock pads/fluid when I first got the car. Was a bit kinder to it than my next experience, and I used up a lot of the stock pads, but other than that had no major issues.

For the second track day I put CSG C21 front /C11 rear pads and bled with RBF 660. Much hotter day.

Bed in procedure was driving 2 minutes to my hotel with only a few lights (braking normal pressure). Then driving another 5-10 minutes to the track (some hard stops along the way). Then I immediately went on track with hard braking moments. By the end of the 3rd lap I was having some shaking when braking, but by end of the first session the car was shaking pretty violently (only when braking).

We tried bleeding brakes a ton of times because originally felt like abs kicking on so thought there may be air bubbles. But even after bleeding many times I'm getting it by end of lap 1 or lap 2 as speeds and temps come up.

So basically, we assumed the rotors became warped almost immediately from these pads. To be fair it was a hot day and I wasn't being kind to them on track, but I thought the stock rotors could handle these pads?

For street driving they are okay, but as temps start coming up on track it gets progressively worse.
  • Has anyone else experienced this warping so quickly?
  • Do I go with the FCP Euro replacements or will I be in the same situation?
  • Was my bed-in procedure the issue?
  • Did I bleed incorrectly?
  • They aren't visibly warped when I spin the wheel and look with the wheel off/car in the air, do I see if somebody can machine the stock rotors first and see if that helps before proceeding?
Thanks in advance
Sounds like you forgot to bed the pads in so got uneven material transfer.
Sponsored