Phantom Menace

First Name
Clive
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium in Phantom Matte Grey
I experienced small vibrations when braking since I installed the mx72
I'm thinking this is likely due to overheating the MX72 and the subsequent uneven smearing of pad material on the rotors. This uneven transfer layer is causing the vibration. For track purposes, this pad compound is probably not heat tolerant enough. Unless you are a true blue novice that does not drive hard enough to over heat the MX72 you should look higher in the range for a more dedicated track pad. Possibly the ME20, although I have no personal experience with that compound.

You hear many guys suggesting CSG and personally I know many guys using the top level CSG pad and they love the heat tolerance and stopping power of that pad, but they are not kind to rotors. One friend showed me his rotors after 6 track days and they don't look good. He figures he will need new rotors by the end of the season.

Finding the balance between a pad that has the heat tolerance and stopping power / modulation, plus reasonable rotor life is why I'm still researching which track pad to buy.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
I'm thinking this is likely due to overheating the MX72 and the subsequent uneven smearing of pad material on the rotors. This uneven transfer layer is causing the vibration. For track purposes, this pad compound is probably not heat tolerant enough. Unless you are a true blue novice that does not drive hard enough to over heat the MX72 you should look higher in the range for a more dedicated track pad. Possibly the ME20, although I have no personal experience with that compound.

You hear many guys suggesting CSG and personally I know many guys using the top level CSG pad and they love the heat tolerance and stopping power of that pad, but they are not kind to rotors. One friend showed me his rotors after 6 track days and they don't look good. He figures he will need new rotors by the end of the season.

Finding the balance between a pad that has the heat tolerance and stopping power / modulation, plus reasonable rotor life is why I'm still researching which track pad to buy.
rotors are a consumable if you track. They last about a season and a half for me.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
MX72 worked great on track for me but did groove the front rotors a bit. I do think I'm on the edge of what the pad is capable of, though. The day after the track day I did have some crusty/crunchy brake feel. After some 'normal' driving they're mostly cleaned up. I have two more track weekends coming up so we'll see. I have a backup set of MX72 so once I chew through both sets I'll probably replace rotors and try something different.

Phantom Menace

First Name
Clive
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
rotors are a consumable if you track. They last about a season and a half for me.
Yes I have no problem with changing out rotors at a reason interval. Obviously keeping an eye on them is important and replacing if you get too much heat cracking where you can feel some larger cracks with your finger nail or if cracks go to an edge. Measuring for thickness is the other consideration and I would like to think that a couple of years might be possible rather than just 6 months or less for my friend with the CSG C21

Phantom Menace

First Name
Clive
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CSG Pads or Endless Pads. FCP Euro OEM rotors.

Pads, fluid, and rotors are cheap compared to brake failure.
@kurumi Have you used Endless pads on a GR Supra? ME20 compound? Same compound front and rear?... Or...

deadinside

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra 3.0
What CSG pad compound are you running? CP's seem to fit my current goals with the car...

One of these days I'll see you at Dominion... :p

razorlab

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Yes I have no problem with changing out rotors at a reason interval. Obviously keeping an eye on them is important and replacing if you get too much heat cracking where you can feel some larger cracks with your finger nail or if cracks go to an edge. Measuring for thickness is the other consideration and I would like to think that a couple of years might be possible rather than just 6 months or less for my friend with the CSG C21
If you think rotors should last a couple of years on a car that sees track use then you must be only going to the track a couple times a year or just really slow.

I wish they last that long, would save us money.

Phantom Menace

First Name
Clive
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If you think rotors should last a couple of years on a car that sees track use then you must be only going to the track a couple times a year or just really slow.

I wish they last that long, would save us money.
I'm coming from a C7 Corvette Z51 that I upgraded to the larger Z06 front brake discs and calipers. Running Raybestos ST43 pads.

I do track days as an instructor and Time Attack at level where I hold a few local track records (in class) and am the class champion for the last 3 years. I do about 5-6 TA races a year and also about 5-6 track days. The TA days don't put that much wear on the rotors as our format is only 3 hot laps per session, we usually get 6-7 sessions per day, but still not that many laps. I put more pressure on the discs during track days if I'm playing hard, but if I'm busy instructing I sometimes don't go out in all the A group sessions.

Z06 Corvette rotors may hold up better than the BMW / Supra rotors, or the ST43 pads are not that harsh on the disc, but I do often eek out 2 seasons from my rotors.

Last edited:

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
What CSG pad compound are you running? CP's seem to fit my current goals with the car...

One of these days I'll see you at Dominion... :p
21/11 track pads

look up the dominion member day calendar online and feel free to invite yourself as my guest. I go to 3 a month and then another track day or Tt elsewhere

razorlab

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I'm coming from a C7 Corvette Z51 that I upgraded to the larger Z06 front brake discs and calipers. Running Raybestos ST43 pads.

I do track days as an instructor and Time Attack at level where I hold a few local track records (in class) and am the class champion for the last 3 years. I do about 5-6 TA races a year and also about 5-6 track days. The TA days don't put that much wear on the rotors as our format is only 3 hot laps per session, we usually get 6-7 sessions per day, but still not that many laps. I put more pressure on the discs during track days if I'm playing hard, but if I'm busy instructing I sometimes don't go out in all the A group sessions.

Z06 Corvette rotors may hold up better than the BMW / Supra rotors, or the ST43 pads are not that harsh on the disc, but I do often eek out 2 seasons from my rotors.
If you are just doing flyer laps and not actual 20min+ sessions, that makes more sense.

Also, of course as you know, it’s track dependent as well.

I also come from using st43/45/47 pads. I’m hoping they come available for this platform at some point!

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
just an FYI. my stock rotors lasted 1.5 years, around 20~30 track days. but most wear occurred from using hawk DTC-60 which was great at stopping. I'm currently testing out Zimmermann front rotors and hawk HP+ front and rear. So far so good. and I hear you from instructor perspective. Sometimes but rarely, I don't have much time, no more than first 1 session for reconnaissance. but sometimes giving rides to students all day long, session right after session in race pace. ;) So you should have some good idea how long rotor will hold up.

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
Just throwing my .02 out there and also recommending CSG pads. I use the C21 fronts (you should pair with C11 rear for best balance). They do eat rotors quickly. My replacement Zimmermann rotors from FCP Euro last about a season, or 12-15 track days.

Just installed my second pair, and will return my used ones back to FCP for a refund. Free rotors for life!
Sponsored