Break-In Period Driving Habits

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
Don't they benchmark these motors? Even if not, I'd avoid launching before the break in period ends. Differentials don't take kindly to being abused early (I broke 3 diffs on my Viper that way, and those can hold 2500whp).
Sponsored

SupraMKV2.0

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twinskrulldesign.com
Car(s)
2023 M550i, 2023 M340i, 2021 Supra
Just think of all those test drives people do and hammer on it with 6, 10, 20 miles on the ODO while most likely not even up to operating temp.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
Just think of all those test drives people do and hammer on it with 6, 10, 20 miles on the ODO while most likely not even up to operating temp.
This is why I try to buy my cars fresh off the transporter. Imho dealerships shouldn't allow test drives on cars like this anyway.

SupraMKV2.0

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twinskrulldesign.com
Car(s)
2023 M550i, 2023 M340i, 2021 Supra
This is why I try to buy my cars fresh off the transporter. Imho dealerships shouldn't allow test drives on cars like this anyway.
Itā€™s a double-edged sword. As a consumer, I wouldnā€™t purchase a niche car or sports car without driving it first. Thereā€™s always been two trainā€™s of thought regarding break-in;

1) whatā€™s stated in the manual...which will alway error on the side of caution.

2) A harder break-in. Components seat due to heating and cooling and the ECM learns driving habits, etc.

Everyone is different and I donā€™t have an opinion either way. Break in is also much more than just engine; brakes need to bed, tires need approximately 500 miles alone to reach peak performance capabilities, suspension bushings need to wear in a bit, etc.

SupraGR21

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra Premium
Break in period? ? But that engine noise! I tried so hard on mine but I occasionally sent it and finally got on it around 500 miles. Engines need some stress for the heat to set it all in(of course not toooo hard)

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Before the PDI, isn't the car in transport mode where you can go above a certain rpm/speed?

I am asking because I seen brand new A90's come in at 15-22 miles and they haven't been PDI yet... Anybody can explain that? On where the miles came from? Cars are all in plastic and protective stuff all over it..

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Magna may have a short track where they drive each vehicle... I personally know few OE's do, but probably not for 20 miles...
They get shipped to Toyota's Indiana plant. They may have taken it out of transpo mode and verified/corrected a few things...then put it back...
I think mine came in at 7 miles. Another 7 and we're at your low threshold...

gtshnzr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Prem., 2015 Subaru XV, 2003 MINI JCW, 1972 TR6
Vehicle Showcase
Magna may have a short track where they drive each vehicle... I personally know few OE's do, but probably not for 20 miles...
They get shipped to Toyota's Indiana plant. They may have taken it out of transpo mode and verified/corrected a few things...then put it back...
I think mine came in at 7 miles. Another 7 and we're at your low threshold...
Mine came in at 14 miles ...

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Mine came in at 14 miles ...
Did yours have all protective plastic and cardboard in the interior and etc? I just find itā€™s weird these cars come in at different miles but doesnā€™t like they were driven or used as demo.

gtshnzr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Prem., 2015 Subaru XV, 2003 MINI JCW, 1972 TR6
Vehicle Showcase
Did yours have all protective plastic and cardboard in the interior and etc? I just find itā€™s weird these cars come in at different miles but doesnā€™t like they were driven or used as demo.
I picked mine up the day after it landed at the dealer. If they took it out on a road test after PDI, thatā€™s OK I guess. How much damage can they really do in 10 or less? HAH!

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Before the PDI, isn't the car in transport mode where you can go above a certain rpm/speed?

I am asking because I seen brand new A90's come in at 15-22 miles and they haven't been PDI yet... Anybody can explain that? On where the miles came from? Cars are all in plastic and protective stuff all over it..
Mine ('21 3.0 Premium) had 17mi on it when I picked it up. Came in with the protective film on, in transport mode, pre-PDI. I'm friends with the sales manager at this particular dealership and I expressed concern to him about the mileage. He made a call to Toyota and was told they do additional testing on these cars now. They received a total of four Supras that month, two 3.0 Premiums, one 2.0, and one special edition, and they all had about the same numbers of miles.

rotary heart

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A91 Edition, 2004 IS 300
Mine ('21 3.0 Premium) had 17mi on it when I picked it up. Came in with the protective film on, in transport mode, pre-PDI. I'm friends with the sales manager at this particular dealership and I expressed concern to him about the mileage. He made a call to Toyota and was told they do additional testing on these cars now. They received a total of four Supras that month, two 3.0 Premiums, one 2.0, and one special edition, and they all had about the same numbers of miles.
Mine had 8 miles on it, when I asked the sales manager he said that it came from the port with those miles. I found it hard to believe at first, but now it makes sense.