Brought home new Supra today and just noticed several small dents

mitchels

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 FK8
I bought a new 2023 Supra today and just noticed 6 small dents on the rear fenders. The dealer usually has a $5k markup but was willing to sell me the car for MSRP because it was on display at the San Antonio Fiesta. I'm not sure what happens at the Fiesta, but they told me it was an indoor venue behind ropes. You can see the most noticeable dent in the attached video. It's in the middle with a circular deformation in the paint reflection. Also, the interior had scratches in the plastic trim and the a/c display. I can deal with the scratches but not the dents.

I've been thinking about the Supra non-stop for 6 months and was so excited to have it in my garage. Now I really regret buying it. The dents aren't some manufacturer defect is it? The director from the dealership will call me tomorrow. I'm guessing they will offer to fix the dents, but I would have to drive the car back 2 hrs away and leave it there. What I really want is to return it like how I can return normal things I buy with defects. Any advice?

Sponsored

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
Can't see your videos, but get a good Paintless Dent Removal person - they work magic, and the rear fenders aren't aluminum so they can get them out easily. They can even come to you and do it in your garage.

For the interior scratches, see if you can get the dealer to replace the pieces.

Good luck

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera
You bought a DEMO. It wasn't a new car. "The car would normally have a $5k markup, BUT THIS WAS ON DISPLAY AT A FIESTA, it was sold at MSRP"

I hope nobody else responds to these type of threads. Best advice, get a good paintless ding remover or hopefully the dealer will address it for you.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
1st video, Can only see 1 dent on the fender, if the rest is in similar shape, do like MisterSkiz said.
2nd, you may have to live with it or replace it. doubt a dealer that supposedly discounted is willing to repair. who knows though.
3rd, as mentioned in similar thread, that piece is not the cheapest. you can try some scratch remover or get a replacement. honestly, like 100% of salvage vehicles have good interior pieces..

Syeeee

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR 3.0 Premium
Demo vehicle

Pdr, good as new

Bigboss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 civic FK7 sport, supra 3.0 premium
Be happy that you got yellow? This may be the last year with that color

OP
OP

mitchels

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 FK8
Thanks for the advice on PDR. I'll look into it.

As for the car being a demo, it should have been a red flag that it was at the Fiesta. I asked the salesperson a bunch of questions about the car and how it was stored and delivered. I guess it was too good to be true.

3TMagnetMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
Wait till you take it to the track from road rash dings scratches ect its a part of life.. Unless you take your car to cars and coffee and shows I would not worry to much about it. Take it to a good detail place and Im sure it will look brand new. I had a ding PDR took it never noticed it was there brand new again.. Remember these cars are to be driven not to sit in a garage covered and only to come out for cars and coffee.

NocturnalEmber

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks for the advice on PDR. I'll look into it.

As for the car being a demo, it should have been a red flag that it was at the Fiesta. I asked the salesperson a bunch of questions about the car and how it was stored and delivered. I guess it was too good to be true.
I'll echo PDR, I've used it on a car before and if its the right candidate (I can't see your uploads in your original post) and if the PDR person knows what they're doing, it will likely be very difficult to tell the dents were there to begin with.

Regarding the salesperson, I'd say your first mistake was trusting a sales person. Not necessarily because they lied, but In my case they knew absolutely nothing about the car. My sales person did the absolute bare minimum as well while being an overall pain to deal with during the deposit and purchase process. I essentially handed them a sale and they were lukewarm at best.

Last edited:

mokleen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
It's called to Unwind the deal.

You can threaten to go to the DMV to report them that they sold you a damaged/lemon car, but I think it only works if your car is legit a lemon and not a small ding. I would have asked for a heavier discount

OP
OP

mitchels

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 FK8
It's called to Unwind the deal.

You can threaten to go to the DMV to report them that they sold you a damaged/lemon car, but I think it only works if your car is legit a lemon and not a small ding. I would have asked for a heavier discount
I found a place to do PDR, and they quoted $500 to fix 8 dents which isn't bad. However, I asked the dealer to unwind and they agreed. I returned the car for full refund today.

mokleen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I found a place to do PDR, and they quoted $500 which isn't bad. However, I asked the dealer to unwind and they agreed. I returned the car for full refund today.
Oh, beautiful man! When I bought my first Supra, I had to fight tooth and nail to unwind the deal. I had to dig deep legally and argue for 4 days straight.

OP
OP

mitchels

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 FK8
Oh, beautiful man! When I bought my first Supra, I had to fight tooth and nail to unwind the deal. I had to dig deep legally and argue for 4 days straight.
Ya, I was surprised they were willing to it. They made it very easy actually. What was your reason to unwind?

mokleen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ya, I was surprised they were willing to it. They made it very easy actually. What was your reason to unwind?
Hella error codes - car was stuck in transport mode and they cleared the code and used ISTA to ignore the code and tried to pass it off as everything was fine
Sponsored