California Will Start Checking for ECU Tuning In Smog Checks This Month

bajanstefan

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium
For those of us who retain factory emissions hardware and cat converters, increased emissions from a tune are negligible. But we'll have to comply to stay street legal.

BY CHRIS ROSALES UPDATED JUL 13, 2021 4:24 PM

Some folks on social media have started to post about a new California smog testing procedure that is supposed to check for modified or non-CARB compliant software in-vehicle ECUs, which I did some digging into. Using the link posted at the bottom of the screenshots Iā€™ve seen, I followed it back to the California Bureau of Automotive Repair smog FAQ page, where the confirmation was clear as day: California is indeed going to start sniffing for tunes during smog checks.

screen-shot-2021-07-13-at-11-19-14-am-1024x358-png.png

Hereā€™s the relevant excerpt from the above-linked FAQ page. Image: BAR.ca.gov screenshot
As many of you may know: Cars need to pass a smog check for emissions compliance every other year if they want to be registered in California. Itā€™s pretty much the only legal requirement to keep your car on the road here, but inspectors can be real hardasses about modifications even if they donā€™t really make your carā€™s pollution any worse.

Full article here - https://www.carbibles.com/california-will-start-checking-for-ecu-tuning-in-smog-checks-this-month/
Sponsored

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
They have been checking the ecus CVN and CAL ID for almost 2 years now.... I dont know why they are saying they are going to start doing it now. Cant tell you how many people I know that have been sent to the state ref cause the #s didnt match. Maybe they just targeted certain vehicles and now its everyone?

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
They have been checking the ecus CVN and CAL ID for almost 2 years now.... I dont know why they are saying they are going to start doing it now. Cant tell you how many people I know that have been sent to the state ref cause the #s didnt match. Maybe they just targeted certain vehicles and now its everyone?
I think the difference of this is if you're sent to state ref for other reasons they'll be checking this too. With Smog, they were already checking this as you stated. There's nothing really new about this and in terms of Smog - we got years to go before the Supra will require smog checks.

Last edited:

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
I think the difference of this is if you're sent to state ref for other reasons they'll be checking this too. With Smog there were already checking this as you stated. There's nothing really new about this and in terms of Smog - we got years to go before the Supra will require smog checks.
Ya we have 8 years before our first check and you can go as long as 10 years if you fill out some special form. Doubt I will still have the car by then. I could care less though. All my cars except the Supra are "out of the state", for this reason.

FlynnZero

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Nocturnal
Use a relative or friends address and register your car in another state.....problem solved.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I joined California by grilling up a bunch of steaks on my charcoal grill over the weekend to release more CO2. CA is like the trend setter for pollution.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Use a relative or friends address and register your car in another state.....problem solved.
As easy as that sounds, its not even close to that easy. Plus you have to worry about getting pulled over while driving an out of state car in CA with a CA drivers license. You know they are going to be cracking down even more on out of state cars now that this is happening.

Lendo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium (sold)
Just renounce your citizenship and youā€™ll be treated better than taxpayers. Canā€™t wait for this nonsense in Nevada.

MCSeverino

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited
Just renounce your citizenship and youā€™ll be treated better than taxpayers. Canā€™t wait for this nonsense in Nevada.
Sadly, yes, we are headed in this same direction.

FlynnZero

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Nocturnal
As easy as that sounds, its not even close to that easy. Plus you have to worry about getting pulled over while driving an out of state car in CA with a CA drivers license. You know they are going to be cracking down even more on out of state cars now that this is happening.
They cannot do crap if you have an out of state license and registration. If they give you a ticket you can give them the finger if out of state. They can't do shit.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
They cannot do crap if you have an out of state license and registration. If they give you a ticket you can give them the finger if out of state. They can't do shit.
They absolutely can. When I lived in Northern VA one of my roommates had North Carolina plates and license (with a current registration). Either the state or county must have been monitoring for out of state cars in our area because he woke up one morning and had a ticket on his car and was told that he has been in the state more than 6 months and must register the vehicle in VA and pay property tax. It was a hefty fine too.

State law was you had to register your vehicle within 30 days or moving and cannot have out of state plates/license beyond 6 months. He had no choice but to pay the fine and register his vehicle and get a VA drivers license.

In this day and age of tracking and cameras everywhere and tight state budgets, you better believe states will not let people slide.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Read below

They absolutely can. When I lived in Northern VA one of my roommates had North Carolina plates and license (with a current registration). Either the state or county must have been monitoring for out of state cars in our area because he woke up one morning and had a ticket on his car and was told that he has been in the state more than 6 months and must register the vehicle in VA and pay property tax. It was a hefty fine too.

State law was you had to register your vehicle within 30 days or moving and cannot have out of state plates/license beyond 6 months. He had no choice but to pay the fine and register his vehicle and get a VA drivers license.

In this day and age of tracking and cameras everywhere and tight state budgets, you better believe states will not let people slide.
100% true. They get very angry when your drivers license state doesnt match the state the vehicle is registered in. You can try to say the car is temporarily here but good luck with that.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
Read below

100% true. They get very angry when your drivers license state doesnt match the state the vehicle is registered in. You can try to say the car is temporarily here but good luck with that.
Yes and in my roommates case (this was back in 2000 too) he had out of state license, plates, and registration (all current) but they had proof he had been in the state more than 6 months. And totally agree, on your point. Having a license that does not match your state of registration is a big warning. I have to think there could be insurance implications too.
Sponsored