Car and Driver 0-150-0 Test Results for 12 cars including the Supra

Joker328

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Red 3.0 Premium MT
Only somewhat surprising things to me are how quickly the Dark Horse stops (given how heavy it is, must be massive brakes and big, sticky tires) and how slow the Type R is (wouldn't have expected it to be so far behind the Golf R and Elantra N).

I've only gotten the Supra up to 140 or so, but I was impressed with how it continued to pull up there. Gets a little loose in the rear with heavy braking from that speed though. With better aero, it would probably stop quicker, but there would be a tradeoff in acceleration/top speed, so probably a wash.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
The DH wears P Zero Trofeo RS tires. That's why it stops like it does.

Semi-related note, my lifelong dream car broke/held the 0-100-0 record three times 🤤 (but it looks like the 0-150-0 is the new yardstick now)

ultima-gtr-2001-now-coupe-interior-1.jpg

PikkaGTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra
Reinforcement of the fact that the supra as sub par brakes from the factory
Needs the M brakes from the G20 performance pack

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 Tesla M3P
Reinforcement of the fact that the supra as sub par brakes from the factory
Needs the M brakes from the G20 performance pack
Brake rotor size does not decrease stopping distance. Thats all tires.

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ho about bigger pad and more pistons? (more contact patch) ;)
Nope.

Wanna know if a car needs bigger brakes to stop faster? Lock them. If you can hit ABS, theyre plenty big enough to stop the car. Increases of size are for feel and increased thermal capacity. Thats it.

PikkaGTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra
Nope.

Wanna know if a car needs bigger brakes to stop faster? Lock them. If you can hit ABS, theyre plenty big enough to stop the car. Increases of size are for feel and increased thermal capacity. Thats it.
Would a single piston non ventilate 10.1 inch front and single piston 9.1 inch rear brake system stop a dark horse mustang faster than what is has now on racing slicks?
Like a Hoosier R7?

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Would a single piston non ventilate 10.1 inch front and single piston 9.1 inch rear brake system stop a dark horse mustang faster than what is has now on racing slicks?
Like a Hoosier R7?
Prooooobably....

Theres a clamping force equation i could lookup in my old engineering textbooks, but, i have no idea where they are.

Basically you have to plug in the coefficient of friction of the pads against the area of rotor against the diameter of the center of the rotor surface, and then compare to the coefficient of friction of the tire, diameter, width. Then you really need to add in things like weight of the vehicle, aero, spring rates, etc.

PikkaGTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra
Prooooobably....

Theres a clamping force equation i could lookup in my old engineering textbooks, but, i have no idea where they are.

Basically you have to plug in the coefficient of friction of the pads against the area of rotor against the diameter of the center of the rotor surface, and then compare to the coefficient of friction of the tire, diameter, width. Then you really need to add in things like weight of the vehicle, aero, spring rates, etc.
I understand tires do the bulk of braking and with all things equal , upgraded contact patch and stickier tires will perform better than getting a big brake kit.
On the other hand, say brakes don't slow down your car or decrease braking distance is factually incorrect and misleading a less informed individual
Just a better and lighter caliper and 2 piece rotors reducing unsprung weight would in fact reducing the braking distance

If you slam on the brakes of that 4000lb mustang at 150 mph, you'd cook those tiny rotors before it'll slow you down to 0

bk5

First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CUL A91-MT
Only somewhat surprising things to me are how quickly the Dark Horse stops (given how heavy it is, must be massive brakes and big, sticky tires
It's the tires. Ford won't let the Dark Horse be tested on different tires. Probably because they know that so much of the performance of the car is tied to tire selection.

PikkaGTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra
lol wut

it’s literally the front tires that are hurting the braking distance.

Sprung vs unsprung weight makes 0 difference.

Why would springs not carrying load change braking? Maybe you didn’t know what that term meant…

Anyway, you could drop 2-3 lb of rotational mass with slightly lighter rotors maybe, but the oem ones already have aluminum hats so it’s a step up from most cars already. This would also make almost 0 difference on a 3600lb vehicle’s stopping (weight is assuming there is gas and driver in the car).

If you can trigger ABS then it’s the tires and not the brakes that are the limiting factor.
It's a lot more than 2.3 lbs you could save
Why do carbon brakes exist? To save unsprung weight, reduction acceleration and maximizing braking effort
A more aggressive pad increasing bite will also increase brake performance
Friction forming heat will lead to shorter distances

Like I said, tiny little brakes with slicks will never trigger abs, but won't stop in less distance than a good set of carbon ceramics
It's splitting hairs but the fact still remains true, tires do the bulk of the braking, however having good brakes for matter

No amount of tire will be adequate for air brakes , but they still put them onto semis because the perform better than drum brakes
Hence, better brakes DO decrease stopping distance

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
lol wut

it’s literally the front tires that are hurting the braking distance.

Sprung vs unsprung weight makes 0 difference.

Why would springs not carrying load change braking? Maybe you didn’t know what that term meant…

Anyway, you could drop 2-3 lb of rotational mass with slightly lighter rotors maybe, but the oem ones already have aluminum hats so it’s a step up from most cars already. This would also make almost 0 difference on a 3600lb vehicle’s stopping (weight is assuming there is gas and driver in the car).

If you can trigger ABS then it’s the tires and not the brakes that are the limiting factor.
What if I can trigger ABS easily on the street, but not on the track on semislicks? More tire (wider) I need or better pad? OR Bigger brake + more tire for even better result?

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
It's a lot more than 2.3 lbs you could save
Why do carbon brakes exist? To save unsprung weight, reduction acceleration and maximizing braking effort
A more aggressive pad increasing bite will also increase brake performance
Friction forming heat will lead to shorter distances

Like I said, tiny little brakes with slicks will never trigger abs, but won't stop in less distance than a good set of carbon ceramics
It's splitting hairs but the fact still remains true, tires do the bulk of the braking, however having good brakes for matter

No amount of tire will be adequate for air brakes , but they still put them onto semis because the perform better than drum brakes
Hence, better brakes DO decrease stopping distance

Carbon brakes are for less fade, strength and wear. weight is less but not one of the main reasons
Sponsored