Car & Driver Dyno Results: The 2020 Toyota Supra Makes More Power Than Toyota Claims

madweazl

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'15 Mustang GT & '13 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Vehicle Showcase
Have any of the reviews even mentioned how the subs sound? lol
One reviewer mentioned the subs didn't seem to be working but I cant recall if that was one of the latest press release vehicles or an earlier review.
Sponsored

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
Any confirmation (or denial) of engineandturbonoises.MP3 being pumped through the speakers?

ichitaka05

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ
Any confirmation (or denial) of engineandturbonoises.MP3 being pumped through the speakers?
MP3 as from USB or something? If that's the case, confirm. Where we stayed, we didn't get any service, so Toyota had to use USB to pump some music out from Supra.

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
Tada said only a slight bit is being played through the speakers to enhance the already great sound. The thing is, most of what you're hearing is actually from the engine bay. I bet it makes little or no difference at all if they removed the music being played. Also, this a BMW thing as Toyota/Lexus don't do this.

This is different from what Lexus does though, they don't play music into the speakers like BMW does. What they actually do however is that they have the intake noise and they channel that to the speakers. You can turn that button on or off (the button in question is ASC, at least in Lexus vehicles, more specifically, I am speaking from the view of a GS F) and ALL of that intake and engine noise gets into the car. It's absolutely insane and the intake gets mad crazy right when you get to 4000 rpm, where the car makes such a beautiful sound. I love that about Toyota/Lexus. Build a good engine and if people want more sound? Just put a tube from the speakers to the intake and drivers can open and close that tube to the intake by a push of a button, and VOILA, beautiful sounds from the engine bay. And if they want it to be quieter, just turn it off.

Though I don't know why anyone would want it turned off. :)

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
My only worry is that this car doesnā€™t behave like it makes those numbers. I have seen quite a few videos and it launches very decently. Iā€™d expect a car with those numbers to do be a tire shredding monster.

So either it doesnā€™t make those numbers or itā€™s dialed in perfectly
It's all about the balance Tada is always lusting after/over.
It's kind of contradictory. Tada-san's goal was balance and achieving that golden ratio. However, he then said the car was designed for the aftermarket tuners. Just adding a tune will transform the car.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
It's kind of contradictory. Tada-san's goal was balance and achieving that golden ratio. However, he then said the car was designed for the aftermarket tuners. Just adding a tune will transform the car.
I don't see balance and being tuner friendly as mutually exclusive elements

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I don't see balance and being tuner friendly as mutually exclusive elements
I mean, golden ratio wheelbase but from the press drives, there were instances where the MKV was starting to get a little tail happy. Yeah they were on PSS and stickier tires would have helped but once you start changing that PWR, there goes that balance.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I mean, golden ratio wheelbase but from the press drives, there were instances where the MKV was starting to get a little tail happy. Yeah they were on PSS and stickier tires would have helped but once you start changing that PWR, there goes that balance.
I don't think that means that the car is easy to control 100% of the time for 100% of people. A car will lose traction if it is given too power in a given scenario

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I don't think that means that the car is easy to control 100% of the time for 100% of people. A car will lose traction if it is given too power in a given scenario
Now that we've discovered how much power the MKV is actually making, folks are already trying to unlock more power. Tada mentioned that you can always add more power but then you sacrifice the goal of having a balanced vehicle. Then he said that the car is built for the aftermarket tuners. I just think both instances conflict with each other.

Nurburgring

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
911 Turbo, M3 E46, Turbocharged NA Miata, S2000, Mazda FC3S & FD3S, EP91 Starlet, EK9 Type R, EG6 Sir2, AE86, 3SGE AE86, Evo7RS, F3 race car
I believe he says that in the sense that the car from the factory has to be a balanced product.

That does not conflict with the fact that when you buy it you can do whatever you want. 500hp with stock brakes, suspension and tires? Sure, it will be common in a few months, but it would never come from the factory like that.

Still, "balance" is quite subjective. An NA Miata is superbly balanced at the track. And slow as balls on the street.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I believe he says that in the sense that the car from the factory has to be a balanced product.

That does not conflict with the fact that when you buy it you can do whatever you want. 500hp with stock brakes, suspension and tires? Sure, it will be common in a few months, but it would never come from the factory like that.

Still, "balance" is quite subjective. An NA Miata is superbly balanced at the track. And slow as balls on the street.
Coming from moto racing, the phrase, "power isn't shit without control" was used frequently so I agree with you on that.

I guess I'm deviating away from the whole import scene with the whole "mod everything" mentality and more towards Porsche's philosophy. They design their cars to be really good in stock form. If want more power, get a turbo. If you want better handling and more power, get a GT. If you want to race, get a cup. If you want a special color, exclusive manufaktur.

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
Coming from moto racing, the phrase, "power isn't shit without control" was used frequently so I agree with you on that.

I guess I'm deviating away from the whole import scene with the whole "mod everything" mentality and more towards Porsche's philosophy. They design their cars to be really good in stock form. If want more power, get a turbo. If you want better handling and more power, get a GT. If you want to race, get a cup. If you want a special color, exclusive manufaktur.
Eh, I disagree. I think that total moddability with Porsches is big, arguably the biggest. The Singer, Guntherwerks, and whatnot are literally whole new cars based around older models. Those 997 and 991 Turbos are the current European drag car of choice. I do agree that most tend to prioritize a complete package, however.
Sponsored