First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
  • Banned
Question for the technical gearheads;
Catted downpipe with NO tune or piggyback, car all stock except for “Catted DP” , will there be a CEL,or any other issues???
Sponsored

kurumi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Depends on the cat. Most built with a GESi or HJS Euro VI cat should not give you a CEL with a stock tuned car. That being said, there are a lot more other variables that can cause a car with a sports cat to throw a code (e.g. outside temperature, humidity, etc.)

I haven't had any issues with my PowerNeedy catted downpipe (though some others have). The Active Autowerke is another alternative as well as Fabspeed.

OP
OP
Drnick

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
  • Banned
Again, thx

jopfer

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR
Depends on the cat. Most built with a GESi or HJS Euro VI cat should not give you a CEL with a stock tuned car. That being said, there are a lot more other variables that can cause a car with a sports cat to throw a code (e.g. outside temperature, humidity, etc.)

I haven't had any issues with my PowerNeedy catted downpipe (though some others have). The Active Autowerke is another alternative as well as Fabspeed.
My power needy downpipe (with AFE intake, pure800 turbo, AFE charge pipe, CSG Tune) throws a check engine light on the oxygen sensor once every about 1000 miles. Have sent logs to my tuner and everything looks great. So with these other mods I do have a check engine light every once in a while but easy to reset with ECUtek dongle.

a90moe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
My power needy downpipe (with AFE intake, pure800 turbo, AFE charge pipe, CSG Tune) throws a check engine light on the oxygen sensor once every about 1000 miles. Have sent logs to my tuner and everything looks great. So with these other mods I do have a check engine light every once in a while but easy to reset with ECUtek dongle.
Are you tuned on pump gas?

Meraki Autoworks

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
If you get an Active Autowerkes catted downpipe with nothing else you won't have a check engine light.

Let us know if you'd like pricing on it.

-Josh

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nocturnal 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I just found this and wanted to ask a couple of questions/confirm my understanding.

There isnt any danger in running a downpipe without a tune, is there? it would just that to get the performance gains you really need a tune and get rid of any check engine lights. but with the catted downpipe there shouldnt be a cel that comes on.

I assume the car would be much louder than stock with a catted downpipe since it probably has more flow than the stock downpipe?

Meraki Autoworks

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
If you get the catted one you'll be fine, if you get catless you might be running too lean, throw a code, and the story goes on..

-JOsh

Neo1967

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
You will be wasting your money without a tune. Bolt-on alone doesn't give you that much of a noticeable performance gain. If you are looking to increase performance than you need full bolt on and a tune otherwise bolt on are just for sound and looks and not performance..

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nocturnal 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
ok. cool.
You will be wasting your money without a tune. Bolt-on alone doesn't give you that much of a noticeable performance gain. If you are looking to increase performance than you need full bolt on and a tune otherwise bolt on are just for sound and looks and not performance..
I understand that i wont be getting anything without a tune. For as silly as it sounds im not after power but more how it looks until Ecutec is able to tune without me having to send my ECU to someone to unlock. I have an idea how I want my engine to look and want to do a downpipe that matches everything. The catted downpipe will give me the better sound and look that I want while not throwing the CEL.

Neo1967

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
ok. cool.

I understand that i wont be getting anything without a tune. For as silly as it sounds im not after power but more how it looks until Ecutec is able to tune without me having to send my ECU to someone to unlock. I have an idea how I want my engine to look and want to do a downpipe that matches everything. The catted downpipe will give me the better sound and look that I want while not throwing the CEL.
No offense but I wouldn't be too sure that it wouldn't throw a CEL. There are a few forum members on here who installed Catted downpipes and still got a CEL.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
I went with the MXP catted downpipe and ended up popping a CEL. I was never able to confirm the code since it magically cleared itself after a weekend, but my biggest pet peeve is that it still has an exhaust smell even though it’s “catted”

otherwise, I’m happy with it.

Attachments

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tesla S 100D, 2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge
ok. cool.

I have the AA catted DP and it still has a gas smell. Can't imagine what no cat would smell like. It definitely adds a growl to the exhaust and I didn't get a CEL light although others with the same exact DP had A CEL pop up.

With regards to looks...you will barely see it from the top or bottom.

Even when the later 2021's are able to be unlocked/tuned, you will still need a bench unlock. I don't think there is a way around sending out the ECU unless there is someone local to you. I don't think there will ever be a "do it yourself" ECU unlock solution. I just mine out and it was back 2 days later.
Sponsored

Last edited: