Check and top off trans fluid

User name

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
Hi guys

Does anyone have a video or write up how to check and top off trans fluid? Particularly tools, funnels and the locations of the drain and fill holes.

I have a pure and I believe it wasnt fully filled.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Last edited:

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
The location of drain and fill holes are shown in this video (ZF-8). I've never done it, myself but this guy offers some good information.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
1) Fill plug on passenger side of the trans. 8mm allen key required.

2) Drain plug on bottom. 8mm allen key required.

3) You will need a fluid transfer pump, so get one before you start.

4) With the transmission totally cold, fill the transmission pan with trans fluid until it dribbles out the fill hole.

5) Put the fill plug back in, but do not tighten.

6) Start the car.

7) Shift from park, neutral, drive. Drive, neutral, park. Shift gears upwards one through eight. Shift gears downwards eight through one. You HOLD the paddle or shifter in upshift/downshift position to keep the gear when the car is idling.

8) Do step 7 again, holding each gear for 10-15 seconds. Proceed to step 9.

9) Using a tool like Ecutek, MHD, BM3, Bimmerlink (or other BMW-specific tool with access to trans temp), wait for temp to hit 40 degrees Celsius.

10) Quickly get back under the car and pop the fill plug back off. You have a short window of time. Quickly complete the next steps before the trans temp hits 50deg Celsius.

11) Using fluid pump, once again pump fluid into the transmission. When trans fluid starts spilling out of the fill plug, you're done. The trans is ready to rock.

12) Tighten the fill and/or drain plug to 3 ft-lbs. That's all it takes.

13) Clean up the transmission housing and pan. Congrats, you're done!

All the 8HP transmission builders recommend Amsoil Signature Series Fuel Efficient 100% Synthetic Transmission Fluid (aka "ATL" aka "Amsoil Blue"). It is widely reported to hold more power and better manage clutch pack wear.

@User name If step 4 requires extra fluid before a thin ribbon comes out, the trans was indeed not filled to full. If fluid spills out immediately, it's already fine.
Sponsored